1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nlt

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Phillip, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Could I also get the background on this one and its dynamic position? I like it for my grandchildren because they are too young to read. I hope they have improved the errors in the Old Living Bible (Paraphrase) which I did enjoy reading as a child along with the equally (or worse) Good News for Modern Man in New Testament paperback (cheap) form.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The New Living Translation is not a paraphrase like its earlier namesake.
    I'd first check out its web site!

New Living Translation [LINK]
    And check out their Frequently Asked Questions page FAQs LINK

I've found the NLT is a helpful starter translation for those who are begining to study the bible.
    It works very well in a group study setting.

The NLT is faithful to the word of God while clarifing difficult passages;

As all versions do, the translatiors make some difficult choices at times, crossing into interpretation. These passages are often identified with footnotes.

Rob

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Thank you!

Thanks for the info and link. I will follow them up.

Do you think it would be a good Bible to read to children (my grandson is 5 almost 6, but very smart--sadly he has just started to read, but he knows his alphabet and simple words like "God". His folks go to a KJVO fundamentalist church, but his mother said she had no problems with me reading from any translation that I would trust.

I just want some Bible that he won't get bored in twenty seconds--he gets bored on the KJV and will not sit and listen. I have read him books on airplanes that he will listen to because they are in modern English. He knows more about planes and bombs (because I'm an ammo engineer) just by letting him fly flight simulators and taking him out to the base for looks at the ammo (and the deer that run free on our front lawns of the big buildings--amazing site for visitors, 35 deer will be standing in our the front yard of my two story building eating the grass, along with turkeys that usually line the roads in packs.)

just had to wander off again, but I'm loooking for a Bible to READ to him at bed time and stuff and read the stories he hears in Sunday School and possibly get more out of them than from the KJVO church. At least my daughter is in a God loving church that believes in witnessing and has a lot of Christian social activities. Its very small, but I didn't expect my daughter to be in church at 22 with a husband who is along with her kids. And she knows how I feel about KJVO and I think she agrees.

Since he is a smart boy, I think he would love bedtime stories out of a good "readable" modern English Bible and His mother has given me 100% permission to do this.

He will ask me if it is a KJV and I just say: No, its a little easier to understand, when you get older, we can read from it if youu want to. So, obviously the indoctrination is occuring in the Sunday Schools too for him to pick up on it because the preacher is pretty hyper and with his short attention span he may be hearing and absorbing some, but mostly from Sunday School because thats when he tells me the stories he hears. I am not fundamentalist, but I do visit a lot to show my kids that I want them in church.

So, based on what you are ssaying, would you consider the NLT a good "adult reading stories in the Bible to a young child version?" Or would you recommend another he might understand even better? Just curious. This is the main reason I bought a copy.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've got a 5 year old grandson too, starts kindergarden tomorrow.

IMHO, kids should be taught the foundational aspects of God's character which are best told in the stories of the bible.

We read to my grandson from a bible story book; it would forestall the version issue for you.

Rob