1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NO Certainty?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jon-Marc, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I was watching a TV show when a man in a show (don't remember which one) said, "Only a fool or a wise man is ever completely certain about anything." Don't agnostics say something similar to that? "The only thing you can be certain about is that you can't be certain about anything."

Well, I'm not sure which one I am (wise or a fool), but I am ABSOLUTELY certain that I am born again and have eternal life. I am ABSOLUTELY certain that I have NO reason to fear death or what comes after that. I am ABSOLUTELY certain that I am forgiven by God. I am ABSOLUTELY certain that God is in full control--even when it seems He's not. I am ABSOLUTELY certain that one day God will put an end to the devil's reign on this earth, and evil will be defeated. If I am a fool, then let me be a fool for Christ.

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

1 John 3:14
    We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

Luke 1:
    76And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: for thou shalt go before the face of the Lord to prepare his ways;

77To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins,

78Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us,

So yes, Brother John-Marc,

There is a knowledge in salvation! Praise be to His high and holy name!!

i am I am's!!

Willis

3. RAdam

RAdam New Member

What is ironic about that statement is he seems quite certain that only a fool or a wise man is ever completely certain about anything.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I am certain of my spiritual future, just as Jon-Marc is.

I will concede that there is a remote possibility that I might have it all wrong.

Makes no difference. If Jesus didn't pay for my sins on the cross; if repentance and faith are useless; if there is another way to salvation, I'm a dead man. I have no place else to go.

I have placed all my eggs in that basket. If I die and go to Hell, I'll go trusting in the Lord Jesus Christ.

#4 Tom Butler, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2010
  5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I've always wondered when I've heard that statement: Does that make a fool a wise man, or a wise man a fool? "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God." Psalms 14:1 and 53:1.

Job 32:9 says, "Great men are not always wise." So does that make them fools? In whose eyes are they great, man's, their own? What about in God's eyes? Who decides who is great and what greatness is other than God? He also decides who is and is not wise.

Man tends to think of himself as wise when he is indeed a fool by denying God, denying that God created everything, by making himself his own god. Man says, Look at me! I am great! I make my own destiny! No one but me controls my life! I am great; I am good; I am wise, and God is just a myth and a crutch for the weak. I am strong and don't need such a crutch. I have much wealth and goods, and I have gotten it all by my own hand." Then God says, "Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?" Luke 12:20

Romans 1:22 says, "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools." That is the condition of so many who think they know better than God. Man thinks he knows how everything started, where and how life originated, how the world began by a "big bang", how all lifeforms evolved from one species into another. Such foolishness and arrogance.

We read, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." Yet man says we evolved from something in the ocean. The foolish often believe themselves to be wise in their own ignorance and self-importance.

6. RAdam

RAdam New Member

A good section of scripture to read on that account is Isaiah 44. There the prophet is talking about how men make their own gods. Now that is useful in itself because, while the materials have changed, the particulars of the manufacturing process and the ultimate goal being attempted thereby have not. Regardless, the prophet speaks of the ultimate foolishness of man using the same means to make his god and he uses to warm himself, cook his meat, and bake his bread - fire. At one point man says, "aha, I am warm, I have seen the fire." In other words, "look at me, look how smart and magnificent I am, I have made a fire." All the while he is totally ignorant of the fact that he couldn't have made that fire without God making wood, God blessing him to find wood, without flint or some other means of creating a spark, without God setting up the laws of the physical world and the properties of matter in such a way as to allow that fire to start and do those things man desires from it, etc. In other words, he needs God for everything, yet boasts in himself. How foolish! On top of this, he is so proud of his acheivement, and I've always wondered what God thinks. I've always wondered if God doesn't say, "it's about time, took ya long enough."