1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No dead babies, little children, infants in Hell?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jdlongmire, Jul 9, 2008.

?
  1. All are elect

25 vote(s)
    67.6%
  2. Some are elect

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. Scripture is not clear on this

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. I am unsure

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
    39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, [even] as many as the Lord our God shall call.

To the Calvinists. Are the called spoken of by Peter, in these verses, the elect?

#81 Cutter, Jul 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Why just ask the Calvinist? :) I guess maybe you think we are smarter? :)

Well..you need to ask this of God. No man knows who the elect but God and the believer himself.

Now I want to address your verse. Before you build you case, you may want to remember the time this was given. Has the gospel been given the other nations at this point, or is Peter talking at the Jews only?

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

One last verse before I go to bed.

Blessed is the man whom thou choosest, and causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts: we shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, even of thy holy temple.

Blessed is the man whom thou choosest,

Why?

, that he may dwell in thy courts:

in other words..

we shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, even of thy holy temple.

who was this again?

the choosest,

ouch!! :)

4. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Just as I thought. You speak great swelling words of election and chosen and cannot even answer a simple question concerning the Word of God. Go crawl under the covers with your body, it appears your mind has already done so!

#84 Cutter, Jul 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  5. standingfirminChrist

Drum roll please....
    [​IMG]

It is funny how they can claim all the saved are elect and yet don't know if the 3000 saved that day on Pentacost were elect.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the called here are elect. The called=the elect."As many as the Lord shall call." The NLTse renders the last part:"--all who have been called by the Lord our God."

Consult Romans 8:28-30. The predestined,called,justified and glorfied are all of the same group. All are elect.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

May The Grace of Our Lord Be With You, Now and Always.

And may the LORD of hosts have His way now, and always brother… All power and glory be unto Him forever and ever.

Go in Gods love.:godisgood:

9. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Mr T had a good line.

"I love it when a good plan comes together"

This is not the reply I was hoping for, but it works just as well.

As God...for God is who wrote the book brother. :)

If you would read the text it tells us. This is why it matters little to what I say, if God is not behind it.

It was GOD that added to the church as Rip has said.

Now look at the other passage and what did GOD say? :)

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well of course God adds to the church all the saved. We sure can't add our selves. Now we might argue why we are added, but you can't take away from God the "adding".

Act 2:47Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

BBob,

11. Cutter

Cutter New Member

If the called in Acts 2:39 are the elect you have proven SFIC's point. The called are those that respond to the Word. The elect or chosen are the ones specifically chosen like Paul is mentioned in Acts 9:15. Else how do you reconcile the distinction Christ made between the called and the chosen in Matthew 22:14?

12. standingfirminChrist

You put that one square between the goalpost's, Bro. [​IMG] . Being called, and being chosen are two different distinctions. Thanks.

13. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

wow - way to confuse and concatenate the external call versus the inward effectual call to the elect and completely distort the clear teachings of Scripture.
    from here

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't read this whole thread.

Has anyone posted this verse as evidence that infants do not perish if they die before "accountability"?

Job 3
    11 Why died I not from the womb? why did I not give up the ghost when I came out of the belly?
    12 Why did the knees prevent me? or why the breasts that I should suck?
    13 For now should I have lain still and been quiet, I should have slept: then had I been at rest

HankD​

15. standingfirminChrist

You just described the actions of a Calvinist concerning election. They twist the Scripture to make election mean what they want it to mean.

16. standingfirminChrist

Great verses, HankD.

Proof indeed that not one single child that dies in infancy is in hell. A person who finds himself in that place where the rich man is from Luke's Gospel certainly has no rest at all.

17. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

oh, my - excellent rebuttal. According to your model, we now have 2 classes of Christian - the "choosers" and the "chosen". Mind showing me where the "choosers" are mentioned or addressed in the NT?

To be helpful - here are the instances that "chosen" is mentioned or addressed.

And just one for your consideration:

Romans 11:7
    What then? What Israel is seeking, it has not obtained, but those who were chosen obtained it, and the rest were hardened;

It sure seems like there is only the chosen and everybody else...

#97 jdlongmire, Jul 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2008
  18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How is that any different than the two classes of salvation the calvinist needs...the one saved by faith, and the one who is "elect".

19. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

you are kidding, right?

The Calvinist concurs with Scripture, that they are one and the same - saving faith and election are inseparable.

20. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Once again you show you poor understanding of Calvinism.

Maybe its time to learn and stop trying to guess. Just a idea you may want to think about.