1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No Evangelicals on the Supreme Court! WHY ???

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by righteousdude2, May 13, 2010.

1. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Catholics have not shown any desire to rule the world, at least not for the last 400 years. Like I said in my earlier post, I would exclude no one but Muslims, not Catholics, not Mormons, not Jews, not Hindus, etc., etc.
    I know you're using hyperbole here but you do recognize we claim dual citizenship, don't you?
    I don't know where you get the idea that Islam was well known. There were no Muslims in this country in 1789. Read the entire Treaty of Tripoli and you will understand that was the first time there had been any interaction between the United States and Islam. And no, the founding fathers had no concept of a pluralistic society beyond the various competing Christian faiths that existed in England.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

There was great fear when President Kennedy was elected. The far right feared a papal dictatorship. Some of the same things being said now against Muslims were said then about Catholic leaders.

Thomas Jefferson knew of Islam and had a balanced regard for the dangers. He owned and apparently read a Koran, not because he agreed with it, but from all indications that he needed to be informed. These were not ignorant bumpkins who knew nothing of world affairs.

I don't understand your reference in another post to the First Amendment not applying to the States. I know that is true, but you are advocating a change to the Constitution that would deny Muslims the right to run for office on a national level.

You cannot only bar one religion from running for office. Who knows if we may be no more short-sighted than you claim our founders were and waht new religion might come along?