1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No greater love and limited atonement

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Notice he didn't answer the question? Maybe you should run for politics, you are talented at evading the subject.

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

Just thought I would repost my questions that Tom Vols buried.

#62 Winman, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2010
  3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry you did not understand my answer. I will simplify it for you. Verse 15 says "But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many." Do you see the parallelism? If not, and you understand verse 18 to mean that all men receive justification of life then you have made the error of universalism.

However, if you understand the parallelism with verse 15 you realize that "the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many" is paralleled with "the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life" you will understand. See it now? The "all men" of verse 18 is paralleled with the "many" of verse 15.
    Exactly! If all men means all men without distinction then God is a weakling who cannot manage to get His will done! My God is not a wimp.
    Well, I am not a Calvinist, I am a Particular Baptist. I believe that Christ actually saved me on the cross, and didn't just make it possible for me to save myself. :) And it is not "play(ing) word games" it is called biblical exegesis. It is taught in all reputable bible colleges and seminaries.
    It is not a matter of luck. It is a matter of rightly dividing the word of truth.

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello Tom. You know how us old seminary professors are. We never die, we just retire to internet forums. :D:D

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Oh, "all men" really just means "many". So in Rom 5:18 the judgment of condemnation did not come upon "all men", just "many"?

Is that what you are saying?

6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can't have it both ways. If it is not a parallelism then ALL MEN ARE JUSTIFIED. And that is the damnable heresy of universalism. :(

7. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Trust

Romans 4:
    4Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. 5However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness. 6David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:
    7"Blessed are they
    whose transgressions are forgiven,
    whose sins are covered.
    8Blessed is the man
    whose sin the Lord will never count against him."[Psalm 32:1,2]

God isn't depending on men or waiting on us. We are depending on Christ and His word, by just trusting, believing in Him we will be saved. Or the other side, not and be condemned. Through the Spirit and life in the words of Christ we can just do that. After Christ is lifted up all men are drawn, but the only one who will come is those who listen and learn from the Father through the words of Jesus.

I do believe in men being dead but the word of Jesus changes that rule after He was glorified. His word gives us Spirit and life. Walking away we remain the same with no change. We are the messengers of the words of Christ.

God will have mercy on whom He will have mercy on and according to the word of God He will have mercy on those who trust in His Son.

Like it or not we are depending on God through Jesus and His word where are faith comes from, God is not depending on us.

I believe in the Elect and through this Elect, God will bring amount saved that will be like the sands of the seashore.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Limited atonement?

I am amazed at how many times things like this get hashed, slashed, and dashed. People get mad, get their feelings hurt, etc., and yet they continue this salvo with each other about limited atonement for and against, and neither side budges one inch! Sheesh!! Now, with that being said, lemme wade in, too!! LOL

Here is a question I'd like to ask both parties(for and against) of Limited atonement?

Was EVERY SIN(past, present, and future) placed upon Jesus we He sacrificed Himself on the cross at Calvary? If you say "yes", then He made an atonement for all sins by His death, burial, and resurrection. If you say "no", then what sins weren't atoned for?

1John Ch. 2: 2And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. This verse plainly states that He is THE propitiation for the sins of the WHOLE WORLD.

Romans Ch. 5:6For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. Again, Christ died for who? The ungodly! All have sinned and come short of the glory of God

Gal. Ch. 3: 22But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. Again, the scriptures have concluded all under sin, not some.

Now to my DoG Brethern, I am closer to your doctrine than you may think. Man on his own, will not/can not even begin to save himself. For that matter, mankind can't even have a thought of God with God giving that to him. Until the Holy Ghost began drawing me, I wanted things my way. But once the "drawing power" started, I had something to work with. It was up to me to respond with a "yea" or "nay".

Rev. Ch. 3:Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man will hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. Looks to me like that man has something to do, doesn't it? Jesus said "I stand at the door and knock", not bust it down.

I know that most won't "eat" half what I just posted, but I tried anyways. With love!!

i am I am's!!

Willis

9. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I'm not going to argue with you. I really don't care what you believe, and I'm not going to waste my time. Regardless, you think Calvinism is true to the bible, and I don't.

10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sufficient for all.
    Sufficient for all.
    Sufficient for all.
    Sufficient for all but efficient only for those who believe.
    Exactly. God took a dead spirit, that was His enemy, and drew it to Himself and made it alive and enabled it to come to Him and desire Him.
    I agree with the above, but the context of Revelation 3 is not soteriology. :)
    Why the hate for your brothers in Christ? Why the arrogance? Why assume you know what they believe and how they will react?

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, you lack the capacity to offer a well thought out, cogent argument against what the bible teaches about salvation. I understand. If I could not support my position I would not continue either. :)

However, I do care what you believe. I care because you are my brother in Christ. I care because salvation is the most important subject any person will ever discuss. I care because getting it right brings honor and glory to God. I care because getting it wrong takes honor and glory from God and gives it to fallen, sinful, unworthy men.

I guess that is the difference between us. I care.

Have a great Lord's Day. :)

12. William Price

William Price New Member

"We notice that if we talk about the election of men and the non-election of fallen
    angels, there is not a cavil for a moment. Every man approves of Calvinism till he
    feels that he is a loser by it; but when it begins to touch his own bone and his own
    flesh then he kicks against it." Charles Spurgeon

"No man is ever taken to heaven against his will, though I do not believe any man
    ever went there of his own free will till God’s sovereign grace enlightened him and
    made him willing." Spurgeon

Either God is totally sovereign, including the realm of salvation, or He is not. I choose to say, as scripture does, that God saves whom he would, and those whom He saves are the ones Christ's blood is effective towards. I will not buy into the lie of universalism, which is what most so-called Christians believe.

13. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Let me understand what you are saying. Are you suggesting that Christians who don't believe in the 5 points are universalists? Seems that I've read between the lines and picked up on a suggestion that the supposed logical conclusion to non-calvinism is universalism. Am I hearing this correctly too?

14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was pointing out to Winman that if he believes "all men" meant "all men everywhere without exception" then the verse in question, which says all men are justified, would have to be understood to be teaching universalism.

As to those who believe the atonement is not limited to believers then, yes, the only alternative is universalism. If the atonement is efficient for all then all will be saved.

However, if you accept limited atonement then you can see that the atonement is sufficient for all but efficient only for believers.

:)

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The atonement is not limited, for Christ was lifted up to draw all men unto Himself. Salvation is limited to only those who have faith in Christ's atonement on their behalf.

The verse in question (Rom. 5:18) is saying that condemnation came upon the whole race through Adam, but justification also came for the whole race through Christ.

But we are only justified through faith. There must be atonement and faith in order for one to receive salvation.

OT example would be that atonement was made for all Israel, but not every single Israelite was saved. Only those who had faith were saved.

16. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not think he understands what universalism is. At least it does not sound like it.

17. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Christ even died for those people who will end up in hell. 2 Peter 2 tells us Christ bought the false prophet who denies Him bringing upon himself swift destruction.

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the atonement is applied to everyone then everyone is saved.
    Exactly my point. "All Israel" does not mean "every Israeli without exception" any more then "all men" means "every person without exception" is justified.
    But the verse says all men are justified. That either means all men everywhere without exception are justified or it is a parallel to verse 15.
    Exactly! "All" does not always mean "all people without exception." There is often something additional. That is what Winman does not seem to be able to understand.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Leviticus 16:17 And there shall be no man in the tabernacle of the congregation when he goeth in to make an atonement in the holy place, until he come out, and have made an atonement for himself, and for his household, and for all the congregation of Israel.

Yes it does. Scripture says atonement was made for ALL the congregation of Israel.

If you cut that one verse out of context, you might have a point, but comparing scripture to scripture, we KNOW that justification comes through faith. No one is just automatically justified.

20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that is my point. Do you believe all people of Israel, without exception, were saved?
    But we are not talking about justification. We are talking about the atonement. Very different things.

This is the problem you, Winman, and others seem to have. You confuse the atonement, justification, regeneration, salvation, etc. They are not all the same thing.

A careful study of a good systematic theology textbook might help you understand the distinctions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.