1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No Home Schooling in California

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by sag38, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sag38

sag38 Active Member

2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is terrible! I only hope my daughters grow up and graduate before the freedom of homeschool is taken away completely.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can anyone find a source other than worldnetdaily? I'm not saying it's false, but WND can sometimes be sensationalist.

If true, I don't see how this will hold up after review by the SCOTUS.

4. Justlittleoldme

Justlittleoldme New Member

I did a search on the net and every place I found a story about this it was someone using parts of or links to the article you sited.

They made reference in the complete story to HSLD looking into it but when I checked their site they don't even mention it. It may be too new of a story.

Sorry, I tried.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing came up on lexis nexis

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Until Americans get tired of this kind of junk and clean up OUR government this junk will continue.

7. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Martin, as a fellow Ron Paul supporter, I have to say you are right. It's amazing how so many Christians speak of liberty, support the ACLJ and Dobson, and then scoff when a true constitutionalist comes around.

As a homeschooler, this scares me. We have to pray about this, for as Gary DeMar says, whoever controls the schools controls the world. :praying:

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here. I did a bit of Internet searching and found nothing that backs this post up. People, do some research before posting a link. There are lots of unethical people out there with axes to grind and have the attitude, "Don't tell me the truth, my mind is made up." They they will mix fact with fiction to post very emotional messages which, of course, many will believe.:tonofbricks:

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    while not a fallacy, let's look at the specifics of the story:
    The appellate court's decision rested on the findings of the trail court
    My church has two families who home school. And we keep a fairly close watch on what's coming out of Sacramento. So, I won't say this sounds the death knell for homeschooling in California.
    I do see this as a hard case. As the saying goes "Hard Cases make for Bad Laws."

11. sag38

sag38 Active Member

It is true that some parents use homeschooling as a way around the government's vested interest in an educated populous. We all have a vested interest in a well educated populous. Therefore I welcome some government oversight to ensure that kids are at least receiving a basic education. I personally knew of one family who were too lazy to make their kids go to school and to avoid anymore problems with the court started "homeschooling." But, it was soon obvious that what they were doing fell far short of even providing these kids with even a basic education. There are a few bad apples in the homeschooling arena. But, to lump all home schoolers together as this court has done, based on the bad example of one family, is a breach of judicial ethics and an insult to most homeschooling families. Most home schoolers do not want to leave the education of their children totally up to the government. They prefer the God ordained right to take on this responsibility for themselves where it should be to begin with.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

God is sovereign.

We needs kids and parents who will be strong witnesses for Christ in the public schools. Many a child has changed many lives because of their witness. Weak complaining parents create weak complaining children. During the days of communism the Christians still attended the atheisitc schools and led kids to Christ because their parents stood strong and taught their children about the God who is not who was. It seems so many parents claim to believe in the sovereignty of God yet act like the world depends on them. In areas of ther US where people are antagonisitc toward Christians it is the location where the Christians who are closer together and more encouraging to one another than where life is without any troubles or conforntation. We have been surprised at how weak some have been in places where there are churches on every corner.
    Many years ago I dated a young lady who completely changed the youth group because of her witness for Christ.

The fact is though I see a lot of weaklings coming out of churches while groups like the Navigators are reaching students for Christ in secular schools and the military.

13. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not how I read the ruling. I read the rulling as being fairly limited in its scope. My take is the appelate court telling the trail courts to take more than a cursory look at a given situation. and it is giving trial courts the standards they need to make their decisions.
    Again, I have not heard of this case. I will however make some inquiries.

14. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    May any parent legally homeschool children in California? Last week, a state appellate court said no. A unanimous three-judge panel ruled that California law lays down specific circumstances under which homeschooling is permitted, and not all parents meet the requirements.

The case involved a Los Angeles-area family with eight children that came to the attention of the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services after one of the children reported “physical and emotional mistreatment by the children’s father,” according to a summary of the case in the Feb. 28 opinion issued by the California 2nd District Court of Appeal in Los Angeles. When Children and Family Services discovered that the children were being homeschooled, an attorney representing two of the children asked the juvenile court to order that the children be enrolled in a public or private school. The trial court refused, citing the parents’ right under the California Constitution to homeschool their children.

From the California Catholic Daily.

Thanks for the link RevMitchell

#14 Crabtownboy, Mar 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2008
  15. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Clearly if the parents are incompetent or failing in thier duties then the state does have a compelling interest to intervene. If that's the case in this court decision then I'm not as concerned and I apologize for my criticism.

16. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Yes, the state does have an oversight role, even for homeschooled kids.

17. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Crabtown: I edited and posted the appelate courts findings earlier on this thread. As I read it, the AC is saying parents just can't assert a homeschooling claim without proving schooling is really occuring. In other words, yes there's a right to homeschool, it's just not an unlimited right. For all we know, the kids are claiming child abuse because the parents aren't really teaching them anything.

Like I said, hard cases make for hard law. I'm waiting for a CLA or a Homeschooling Defense fund opinion on this case.

18. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know one family whose kids lives were ruined through homeschooling ... which was in their case no-schooling. I know another family where the kids got a great education. Some oversight should be made to ensure the kids are learning and being prepared for adulthood.

19. North Carolina Tentmaker

Wow, I agree with MP, must be because of that lunar eclipse the other day.

The state has a right of oversight and control. The desire to have an educated populous and its effect on the economy and security of the nation gives the state full rights of oversight and control. The fact is there is no national right to homeschool your children. I don't know what the California constitution says but there is no right to homeschool anywhere.

UNLESS - You are asserting your right to homeschool as a part of your religion. If that is your argument then you have the right to homeschool or no school. But you better be able to show me where that is an integral part of your religious faith.

We homeschool our 4 children and love the results so far, but I recognize that homeschooling is not my right as a citizen or a command as a Christian. I am grateful to be able to homeschool and we are careful to follow every requirement of the state of NC including our registration as a home school, and their right to audit our cirriculum and attendance records. Our children take achievement tests every year and I will gladly share the results with anyone who wants to see.

Like with everything else there is a right way to Homeschool and plenty of wrong ways.

20. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

NCT, perhaps so! :) In any case, you can't go wrong agreeing with me, because I am never wrong. I thought I was once, but I was mistaken. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.