1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No Hot dogs on Opening Day?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Mike G, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Mike G

Mike G New Member

Opening Day ticket holders at Boston's Fenway Park this year who are Catholic face a dilemma: the Boston Archdiocese said since the afternoon game against the Toronto Blue Jays (news) falls on Good Friday, they must refrain from eating meat, including hot dogs, sausages and pepperoni pizza.

"We're already getting all kinds of requests for dispensation to eat meat," said the Rev. Christopher J. Coyne, a spokesman for the archdiocese. However Coyne said that after a meeting to discuss the requests, Boston church leaders decided a baseball game was too weak an excuse to duck the no-meat rule.

"I would hope it was just an oversight when they were doing the schedule," Coyne told the Boston Herald. "I think it's very insensitive to the huge number of people who are Christians and fans."

In 1995 and 2000, Cardinal Bernard F. Law, then the head of the archdiocese, allowed local Catholics to eat meat when St. Patrick's Day fell on a Friday during Lent.

Thoughts???

Link

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

If one's truly doing this for spiritual reasons it strikes me as ridiculously absurd that they'd ask for a dispensation to eat a hot dog because there's a baseball game. I'm almost in disbelief just reading that, and the statement that it was insensitive to have opening day on a day when Lent observers can't eat hotdogs? The only insensitivity I see there is to the vendors who will lose money.
    If there was a food shortage, people were starving, etc., and a dispensation was asked for that would be so much different.
    Hotdogs. ROFL! Come on now, was this a serious article, for real, or was it a spoof?
    Gina

3. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Yet one more reason to turn from being catholic to being baptist!

4. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Actually, the statement was that it is insensitive to have opening day on Good Friday.

As a Christian, will you be spending Good Friday at a baseball game?

5. trying2understand

Wasn't there a thread a couple of years ago about how terrible it is that some kids sports leagues have games on Sunday morning?

How insentive the leagues are to have games scheduled when the kids would be in church and what a conflict it unnecessarily creates for them?

Not much different is it?

6. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

Hey Mike G, Why would a Baptist be concerned with what the Archdiosis of Boston has to say anyway?

But my response is the words of Jesus when he said, (paraphrase) "It's not what you put in your mouth that defiles you, but what comes out of your heart!"

Granted Poor or excessive eating hinders the physical part of the human, but it is not the physical part that God is interested in, IT IS THE SPIRIT OF MAN!

7. trying2understand

Why did Jesus fast?

8. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

Why did Jesus fast? </font>[/QUOTE]Did he fast on Friday afternoon baseball games? This topic is not about fasting, but rather following an edict of the Roman church!

Jesus never placed any restrictions on what people could eat except the amount, all things in moderation!

9. trying2understand

Why so harsh?

Abstaining from meat is a form of fasting.

Read Daniel 10:1-3

Does your church ever fast as a body?

Are there anty examples of fasting in the New Testament?

BTW, why does it seem that you are angry because others choose to fast? No one is making you do it, so relax and go have a hotdog, even though today is a Friday and it is Lent. [​IMG]

10. A_Christian

A_Christian New Member

Buy only fast-food!

11. jasonW*

jasonW* New Member

&lt;rhetorical question&gt;

If the Eucharist really is the body of Christ, must a Catholic abstain from 'eating' it on Fridays?

&lt;/rhetorical question&gt;

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Actually, the statement was that it is insensitive to have opening day on Good Friday.

As a Christian, will you be spending Good Friday at a baseball game?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Oh, ok, I get it. I assumed that since the people were asking for a dispensation to eat meat, that that's what everyone was upset about.
    Gina

13. trying2understand

Jason, you should be able to anwer this one with just the Bible, but I'll help you with it anyway. [​IMG]

After Jesus was risen, His body was changed. Remember He could pass through locked doors?

So, eating the flesh of our Risen Lord in the Eucharist is not "eating meat". [​IMG]

14. jasonW*

jasonW* New Member

It was rhetorical, but oh well.

Doubting Thomas touched the risen Jesus. What did he touch? I am asking because you are absolutely positive it isn't meat, so there must be some other explanation. Plyable titanium perhaps?

15. trying2understand

Actually, the Bible doesn't tell us that Thomas touched Jesus, but rather it says that he answered, "My Lord and my God!"

Notice that Jesus said that Thomas believed because of "seeing" not "touching". [​IMG]

16. JustAsIAm

JustAsIAm New Member

First of all, you've got to understand that a great number of Catholics in the Boston area aren't spiritual Catholics but more like "cultual" Catholics. They follow the rules because they have been brought up that way, not because of any spiritual reasons. I dated a fellow in college who would go to mass, find out what the readings were, and then leave. That way he could honestly tell his mother he was there and let her know what the readings were to prove it!

In my opinion, if a person is spiritually fasting from meat on Good Friday, they most likely will not be going to a baseball game. The best way to prove to the baseball owners that they have made a mistake is to NOT GO TO THE GAME. Hit them where it counts, the pocketbook. If there is an effect, they won't make the same mistake twice!

Unfortunately, I don't think there will be much effect on ticket or hot dog sales. Again, in my opinion, the problem isn't the Catholic faith, but the religion of sports in this country. When my husband and I were still Catholic, we lived in Buffalo, NY. It has to have some of the most devoted football fans in the country)! It greatly discouraged me when the priest would "speed up" the mass by shortening his homily on game days. This isn't my opinion, he said that he was doing it!! I'm sure it happens in other denoms too, but this was my experience.

17. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

Jason, you should be able to anwer this one with just the Bible, but I'll help you with it anyway. [​IMG]

After Jesus was risen, His body was changed. Remember He could pass through locked doors?

So, eating the flesh of our Risen Lord in the Eucharist is not "eating meat". [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]But at the time Jesus told his Apostles to eat his flesh, He was living in it! He never told them, after he had arisen to do that! So much for your not eating meat!

18. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Just eat the stinkin' hot dog for cryin' out loud. If God puts up with all your idolotry do you think He's sitting in Heaven worried about a Catholic chomping down on a ball park frank. Just make sure its kosher.

19. trying2understand

Well, that would be the easiest thing to do, I suppose, but it would defeat the whole purpose of abstaining from meat wouldn't it?

Catholics don't abstain from meat because we believe it to be particularly important to God, but rather as an exercise in self denial for the purpose of developing a greater awareness that the pleasures in life are not as important as our spiritual growth. Things like developing greater self control so that we will be better able to resist the temptations of sin.

I find it odd that some people are offended by that.

20. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

Well, that would be the easiest thing to do, I suppose, but it would defeat the whole purpose of abstaining from meat wouldn't it?

Catholics don't abstain from meat because we believe it to be particularly important to God, but rather as an exercise in self denial for the purpose of developing a greater awareness that the pleasures in life are not as important as our spiritual growth. Things like developing greater self control so that we will be better able to resist the temptations of sin.

I find it odd that some people are offended by that.
    </font>[/QUOTE]If fasting is the purpose, abstain from all food, not just meat. Buy the way, what do you call the flesh of fish? Is it not a form of meat, a source of Protein? It seems the No meat on Friday is a boycott of Animal flesh, but it's OK to eat the flesh of fish. Oxymoronic!