1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No More Brotherly Love...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TCGreek, Mar 24, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. For some time now I've been using the TNIV in my study and preaching, but I have this issue against it:

"It has taken away my brotherly love (Gk. philadelphia, "brotherly love") expressions."

2. In Romans 12:10:

"Be devoted to one another in love" (TNIV).

"Be devoted to one another in brotherly love" (NIV).

3. In 1 Pet 1:22:

"so that you have sincere love for each other" (TNIV).

"so that you have sincere love for your brothers" (NIV).

4. In 2 Pet 1:7

"and to godliness, mutual affection" (TNIV).

"and to godliness, brotherly kindness" (NIV).

5. The Greek philadelphia was first used to refer to that love for siblings in a family and then to refer to members in the Christian community, who are brothers and sisters in the Lord.

6. The TNIV is not necessarily wrong in its rendition of philadelphia, but if you're use to the expression "brotherly love" and to some extent saying of Philadelpia, "the city of brotherly love," you would not be pleased with the TNIV.

At any rate, I still find the TNIV to be a great improvement of the NIV and at the same time, a very good translation.

#1 TCGreek, Mar 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2008
  2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps the developers of the TNIV visited Philadelphia and thought it would be improper. :laugh:

Philadelphia, home town of the Reverend Dr. Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr.
    Son of Jeremiah Wright, Sr, former pastor of Grace Baptist Church of Germantown.

Any one wonder why Baptists in the Philadelphia vicinity commonly take the title "Baptist" out of their names?

Rob

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I like this. :laugh:

I hear you.