1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No More Earmarks , he said.

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Dec 15, 2009.

1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I agree with what you are saying Rev. Once again, I point out that I've been talking about earmarks in relation to an individual bill. It's a fact that earmarks do not add spending to an individual bill.

Yes, the downside of earmarks is that a congressman may vote for a bill he otherwise wouldn't. Unfortunately I don't think this is as big a problem as people would like to think. Our congressmen are not in the habit of voting against much of anything that spends money.

2. matt wade

Do you even read the articles posted? It was Heritage that said that Collender's statement was true. Heritage is against earmarks.

3. matt wade

Yep..I should have known better than to ask you to engage in a reasonable debate. You can't manage to do that without engaging in a personal attack of some sort.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't usually try to fix what either has to be purposeful ignorance or pure stupidity, but I'll try, keeping it very basic and simple, just this once.

Congress defines earmarks as discretionary spending.

Discretionary spending is spending that is not mandated by legislation and has to be appropriated.

Discretionary spending adds to the budget.

Therefore earmarks add to the budget.

#24 carpro, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2009
  5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So if there were no other earmarks to go to where would those funds go to in your mind?

6. matt wade

The money would still be spent. It's just the decisions on exactly where it is spent are decided by other people. Again, to quote from the article you posted (and Heritage said this quote was true).

7. matt wade

Not according to every source out there about earmarks. I've quotes Ron Paul telling you different. Revmitchel has quotes Heritage telling you different. Both Ron Paul and Heritage strive to be fiscally conservative and are against government spending. Why would both these sources lie about it?

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok you did not answer my question. If all earmarks are come to and end where would the money go?

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

That's why I rarely try to fix purposeful ignorance or pure stupidity.

Taking the word of politicians who have a vested interest in spending our tax dollars, instead of researching the subject yourself, is remarkably naive.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are misrepresenting Heritage They do not agree with your final conclusion

11. matt wade

I think it is you that is misrepresenting. I agree 100% with Heritage. Heritage and I both believe that earmarks do not add additional funding to a bill. We also both believe that earmarks could cause a congressman to vote for a bill when he/she otherwise might not. Where am I misrepresenting them? That's exactly what they represented in the article you posted.

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he can't understand the difference between mandatory and discretionary spending and how they affect the budget, you're wasting your time.

13. matt wade

Oh, Heritage are politicians now? It's you who is coming off as ignorant and stupid here carpro. I've done my research and come to conclusions based on that. You, however, have not provided a single reference for any of your opinions. You haven't given a shred of evidence that earmarks increase the spending in an individual bill. Until you provide that evidence, you continue to show your inability to do anything but spout off ill informed opinions.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you even read the title to the Heritage article?

"Earmarks Encourage Spending and That’s No Lie"

Now answer my question

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what is the difference between mandatory and discretionary spending and if all earmarks were eliminated where would the money go?

16. matt wade

Are you reading what I am saying? I specifically said, "We also both believe that earmarks could cause a congressman to vote for a bill when he/she otherwise might not." So, Heritage and I have the same conclusion, yes earmarks could cause higher spending because bills could pass that might not otherwise pass. Heritage and I both also agree that earmarks do not add spending to an individual bill. It's really as difficult to understand as you are making it.

17. matt wade

Ask carpro, he's the self proclaimed expert on mandatory and discretionary spending. I'm not in school, you aren't my teacher, and I'm not taking a test :).

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So what is the difference between mandatory and discretionary spending and if all earmarks were eliminated where would the money go?

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Therefore you choose to remain ignorant.

A waste of time.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok look I asked you reasonable questions because I am trying to understand how you come to your conclusion. Maybe you know something about earmarks other than what you have said that will show me. So do you not know the answers? I am struggling to understand, also why you avoid answering my questions. But if you cannot answer them then how do you reach your conclusion?