1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No need to panic over Iranian nukes

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Jan 19, 2006.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

United Nations sanctions won't work but there's still plenty of time for patient talks.

By Gwynne Dyer

01/15/06 " Hamilton Spectator" -- -- When the International Atomic Energy Agency confirmed last Tuesday that Iran had broken the seals on its nuclear research facility at Natanz, many people reacted as if the very next step was the testing of an Iranian nuclear weapon.

In the ensuing media panic, we were repeatedly reminded that Iran's radical new president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, declared just months ago that Israel should be "wiped off the map." How could such a lethally dangerous regime be allowed to proceed with its nuclear plans?

But talk is cheap and not to be confused with actions or even intentions. Ahmadinejad was quoting directly from the founder of Iran's Islamic revolution, Ayatollah Khomeini. But neither during Khomeini's life nor in the 16 years since his death has Iran made any effort to wipe Israel off the map, because to do so could mean the virtual extermination of the Iranian people.

Israel has held a monopoly on nuclear weapons in the Middle East since shortly after Ahmadinejad was born and now possesses enough of them to strike every Iranian and every Arab city of more than 100,000 people simultaneously.

Ahmadinejad's comment was as foolish, but also ultimately as meaningless, as Ronald Reagan's famous remark into a microphone that he didn't know was open: "My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you today that I have signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

Nobody doubted that Reagan wanted the "evil empire" to be wiped from the face of the earth, but nobody seriously believed he intended to attack it. Russia had nuclear weapons too, and the U.S. would have been destroyed by its retaliation.

Ahmadinejad was not joking about wanting Israel to vanish, but he was expressing a wish, not an intention, because Iran has been thoroughly deterred for all of his adult life by the knowledge of those hundreds of Israeli nuclear warheads.

And Iran would still be deterred if it had a few nuclear weapons of its own, just as Reagan was deterred from striking the Soviet Union even though the United States had thousands of the things.

So why would Iran want nuclear weapons at all? Mostly national pride, plus a desire to keep up with the neighbours.

For Iran, nuclear weapons fall into the class of "nice to have" rather than life-or-death necessity. Israel cannot invade it, and even the United States would be reluctant to do so: It is a very big, mountainous and nationalistic country.

So, the Iranians have chipped away at the task of building the scientific and technological basis for a nuclear-weapons program in a desultory way for several decades, without ever getting really serious about it.

That is still the pattern. When the IAEA demanded that Iran explain certain irregularities in its nuclear power research program three years ago, the regime did not respond like North Korea, which immediately abrogated its membership in the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and went all out to build nuclear weapons as soon as possible.

Instead, Iran voluntarily allowed the IAEA to put seals on its nuclear research facilities.

Now it has removed those seals and plans to resume its research on nuclear power. This will also enhance its capacity to work on nuclear weapons eventually, but that can't be helped.

The current American campaign to impose United Nations sanctions on Iran is doomed to fail, because it is not breaking the law.

As a signatory of the NPT, it is fully entitled to develop nuclear power for peaceful purposes, including the technology for enriching uranium, even though that also takes it much of the way to a nuclear-weapons capability. In any case, it is practically unimaginable that all the veto-holding powers on the UN Security Council would agree to impose sanctions on a major oil-producer on the mere suspicion that it ultimately intends to break the law.
    SOURCE

2. billwald

billwald New Member

I'm not panicking. They want to hit Israel, not the USofA. God will protect his special people, right?

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

You aren't scared out of your rights and questioning the constitution yet BillWald? Whatsa matter for you? [​IMG]

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice post, poncho. [​IMG]

No one has yet shown where Iran has broken any law or any treaty related to nuclear research.

I think this is just more desire for warmongering on the part of the Bush administration. I will be very glad when it is replaced on January 20, 2009. I no longer have any trust at all in George W. Bush or Dick Cheney that they are looking out for the best interests of the United States.

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I think it's more evidence that Bush and Cheney work for interests other than what I would call American.

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

That and their house of cards is in danger of falling down around them and they need a diversion so as not to reveal who the "interests" actually are.

7. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Don't you guys remember recently Iran tested a sea launch of a missle with a warhead the exploded at appogee? I guess they were just playing around.

8. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Did they hit America with this missile? North Korea hit Alaska with one already if I remember rightly.

By Ryu Jin
    Staff Reporter

The warhead of a long-range missile test-fired by North Korea was found in the U.S. state of Alaska, a report to the National Assembly revealed yesterday.

``According to a U.S. document, the last piece of a missile warhead fired by North Korea was found in Alaska,’’ former Japanese foreign minister Taro Nakayama was quoted as saying in the report. ``Washington, as well as Tokyo, has so far underrated Pyongyang’s missile capabilities.’’

The report was the culmination of monthlong activities of the Assembly’s overseas delegation to five countries over the North Korean nuclear crisis. The Assembly dispatched groups of lawmakers to the United States, Japan, China, Russia and European Union last month to collect information and opinions on the international issue.

Korea Times

The Iranians would give the term "suicide bombing" a whole new meaning if they attempted to nuke Israel BTW, Iran wouldn't be habitable for about 100,000 years if they did and I gotta believe they know it.

[ January 20, 2006, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: poncho ]

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Missed that? Gotta link?

Is there anything illegal about Iran testing a missle?

10. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Ken, I typed Iranian missile test into google this is what came up.

Maybe we should be more worried about the "rumors" that Russia has supplied Iran with Sunburn missiles.

I typed Russia Iran sunburn missiles into google and this is what came up.