1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured No one can...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jedi Knight, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus said, " No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day." How does the Arminian explain this away?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know how Arminians explain this "away" or why they would even want to. But as a non cal I can say that without a doubt no one can come to God unless they are first drawn by God. Another way to put this is that God opens the heart of man and enables him to receive the gospel or reject it. Since that is His plan and design He remains completely sovereign in this.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

4. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Jesus tells us in the chapter who the Father draws.

John 6:45
    It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from him comes to me.

John 10:30
    I and the Father are one.”

Matthew 11:29
    Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Following a crowd does not mean you are drawn by the Father. Peter got it right.

John 6:68
    Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.

John 6:63
    The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life.

John 6:
    53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me.

#4 psalms109:31, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
  5. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

So try to be helpful then.....what does an Arminian believe? I did not bring cal as you said into this.

#5 Jedi Knight, Jun 9, 2013
  6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the Spirit does an irresistible work of grace in one's heart to enable him to freely reject the Gospel.

Nice.

7. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

lol :laugh:

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say cal.

9. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

yes you did as if it was eather or...but you one up them both.:type:

10. Herald

Herald New Member

Yes you did. You want to know what the Arminian believes. By necessity that means contrasting what the Calvinist believes.

11. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

No I am asking to explain this verse from that view.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to go back and reread my post.

13. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

You need to go back and read the op.

#13 Jedi Knight, Jun 9, 2013
  14. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

"I have laid stress upon a personal appropriation, for each man eats for himself, not for anyone else. You cannot eat
    for anybody but yourself. And so, in taking Christ, you take Him for yourself. Faith is your own act and deed—nobody
    can believe for you, nor can you savingly believe for another. I say it with reverence—the Holy Spirit, Himself, cannot
    believe for us, although He can, and does, lead us to believe. And, indeed, if the Divine Spirit did believe for us, we should
    not obtain the promise, since it is not made to proxy faith, but solely and alone to personal believing. We are not passive."

C.H. Spurgeon

Sermon #1288 Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit 1
    Volume 22 www.spurgeongems.org 1
    TRULY EATING THE FLESH OF JESUS
    NO. 1288
    A SERMON DELIVERED ON LORD’S-DAY MORNING, APRIL 9, 1876,
    BY C. H. SPURGEON,
    AT THE METROPOLITAN TABERNACLE, NEWINGTON.
    “Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except you eat the
    flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you.
    Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life,
    and I will raise him up at the last day.
    For My flesh is meat, indeed, and My blood is drink indeed.
    He that eats My flesh, and drinks My blood, dwells in Me, and I in him.”
    John 6:53-56.

15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Okay, let's back up a few verses and take a look at the "audience" Jesus is speaking about:

Jesus is talking about the ones there with Him at that time. Look @ verse 40 where it says "everyone which seeth the Son" so that shows me He is talking about the time whilst He was here on earth. Those who were given to Jesus via the Father came unto Him. The others had been left in blindness through judicial hardening by God.

Now esplain these:

John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

Romans 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

Hebrews 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe Rev's post?

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one is blind simply because God chose never to extend to them grace because they are not elect. In every case people are blinded, hearts hardened, because they first rejected the gospel.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it doesn't. It is absolute childishness to assert that there are only two options.

19. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

A preacher taught on Sunday: 'God chose Abram because he was a good man'! So the teaching is that God chooses people because they are good. Kind of like a Mason choosing a buddy because they're 'good'.

It was asked if he had a proof text, he didn't have one but came to Genesis 15:6 went aha, see, Abraham is a good man, and this verse proves that is why God chose him. He got the cart before the horse on that one and never caught his own erroneous teaching.

He also stated that we open our hearts to the Lord. This also is incorrect, it is He who opens hearts.

He continued this downward spiral throughout the services.

His simplistic errors are shared week in and week out, over and over; tainted skim milk for babes.

20. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simple Rev. God draws all, but some using their freewill reject His drawing of them to him.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning put it well, "The world is aflame with God, but only those who see take off their shoes. The rest sit round and pick blackberries".

Blessings.