1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No sound

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by just-want-peace, Jan 10, 2006.

1. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I generally operate this monstrosity on mute, cuz I despise to open a page, or an email to some bouncy little ditty.

However, I do love to get the 30 second bits of music if I'm considering buying a CD.

Well, last time I tried to listen, twarn't no sound.

I've checked all I know to check (not much, granted) and all says I should be listening, but - nothing! :mad: :confused:

Any advice as to what to check (please don't assume that I've checked the right stuff) would be appreciated, and you would be safe to assume that it needs to be phrased as per "Computer sound for dummies"!

Thanks!!! [​IMG]

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Start/control panel/sounds audio devices there is a mute box, be sure it is clear.

While in control panel go to system/hardware tab/device manager and see if there are any problems showing.

Check to be sure the speakers are plugged in, try twisting the connector to be sure connection isn't bad.

If you have a speaker in the lower right corner double click and see if anything is amiss.

Be sure speakers work. If they are powered you can pull jack out of sound board and touch it, probably get a hum if they are working. If not powered, plug them into something else and check.

If all that is okay, pull side panel of computer and (power off) pull sound card out and reseat it.

If that don't work I'd guess you have a bad sound card - unless I've missed something.

3. preacher

preacher New Member

Before you pull the sound card out, touch something metal, like your tower case to discharge any static electricity on your person. Static CAN harm boards like sound, video, or modems!!! Also DO NOT touch the gold plated connectors on the board. If there are any connectors plugged on the sound card, make sure they have enough "play" to give you room to remove the board, if not unplug them first.

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, as I started to check out the "system", I found that last time I had had the computer out of it's cubby-hole I had put the speaker connectio in the wrong slot. :eek: :eek: :eek:

All's well now! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for the advice though as without it I would not have (for a while anyway) checked subject connection!

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    wrong slot. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Are you the twin I never knew about? Sounds like me!

:D

6. preacher

preacher New Member

NOT ME...I'll get the right slot, but then forget to turn the thing on!!! [​IMG]