1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nobody is perfect in their interpretation of the Bible

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Armando, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Armando

Armando New Member

Gina said: Nobody is perfect in their interpretation of the Bible and baptists recognize this

I have several questions:

1) Is this a true statement among all baptists?
    2) If it is true, can Gina, or any other baptist identify the doctrines from the Bible than are fallibly intepreted vs infallibly interpreted?
    3) If no. 3 is not possible, how can a baptist know, for sure, if an important doctrine is not being interpreted correctly?
    4) Does it matter?

Thanks
    Armando

2. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

Just a correction. You meant "#2" in the comment for #3. ;)

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I agree with Gina, that nobody is perfect in their interpretation of the Bible.

I disagree that baptists recognize this. Failure to recognize that fact is abundant on this board.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

We still see dimly until Jesus comes.

5. dumbox1

dumbox1 Guest

Hmmm ... let me imagine how a counter-argument might sound. (Note: this is only an "imagining," NOT an actual statement of my personal beliefs):

"I, Mark H., am, in fact, perfect in my interpretation of the Bible. How do I know this? Well, the Bible tells me that the Holy Spirit will guide me, Mark H., to all truth. No lies, only truth. And all of it, not just part of it. And I do, of course, have that same Holy Spirit that was promised to me by Jesus in the Bible. Jesus wouldn't lie to me.

"Accordingly, I'm always right, since I always am guided to all truth. As a subset of this, I'm perfect in my interpretation of the Bible. If we disagree about anything, it's obviously because you DON'T have the Holy Spirit, because if you did, he would have guided you to ALL truth like he does me. So if we agree about some things and not others, it must be that you just got lucky on the ones where we do agree, because if you really had the Holy Spirit like me you'd agree with me on everything."

I like it -- maybe I'll rent a hall and some chairs and start shopping around for a praise band.

Mark H.

6. Harley4Him

Harley4Him New Member

Mark, you forgot the pompous declaration, "any time you disagree with me, you are admitting that you reject scripture and there is no further point discussing biblical truth with an admitted God-hater like you" ;)

Not so much on this board, but take a stroll over to C/A :rolleyes:

7. dumbox1

dumbox1 Guest

Harley,

If you were a real Bible-believing Christian guided by the Holy Spirit like me, you would know that it's impossible for me to say anything but the perfect thing.

Your suggestion that I might possibly have "forgot" something would be, of course, the unforgiveable sin of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

I hate to break this to you, but unless you repent you'll be "darned to heck" (as they used to say in the Dilbert cartoons).

Mark

8. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

We can know with reasonable certainty what the scriptures teach through inductive Bible study fo the English scriptures. However, we cannot be infallable in every minor detail as we are not inspired as the apostles were to write down the Word of God.

After all if the Bible says "all who believe will be saved" we know its not saying "the grass is green"

9. Harley4Him

Harley4Him New Member

You're right, my interpretation was wrong! Ha just kidding, you'll never read that in any other thread :D :D :D

10. Armando

Armando New Member

We can know with reasonable certainty what the scriptures teach through inductive Bible study fo the English scriptures. However, we cannot be infallable in every minor detail as we are not inspired as the apostles were to write down the Word of God.

After all if the Bible says "all who believe will be saved" we know its not saying "the grass is green"
    </font>[/QUOTE]Brother Adam, thanks for your response. When you say that we cannot be infallible in every "MINOR" detail, is this also something agreed by all baptist? Do all baptist agreed that differences in "infallible" interpretations are "MINOR". Do baptist beleive that is minor among baptists only or is it also minor among all other christians denominations (eg baptist and JW)?

Thanks
    Armando

11. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

If we believe what Jesus and the apostle have said, does that make us fallible in our understanding? Only to those who are not pliable to what He has written for our understanding end up in the error column.

Was the Apostle John in error when he wrote down the inspired Word of God in John 14:26 & I John 2:27? When the concensus of Protestant theologians make their interpretation of verses you are staring truth in the face.

12. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Every denomination "could claim" that their own magesterium is the only one that infallibly interprets the Bible - and then we would have (Catholicism x 30,000).

Even Paul predicts "doctrinal error" coming up within the church 'from within' in Acts 20. Jesus states that the Magesterium of the ONE TRUE church started by God at Sinai - was in "doctrinal error" in Mark 7.

The "infallible" attribute is in the Holy Spirit and in God's Word - not in sinful man (Catholic or not).

The Infallible Holy Spirit is in each one of us - but that does NOT make each one of us "infallible".

In Christ,

Bob

13. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

I think they answered your questions pretty well regarding the Baptist stance.

Also, It's our job not to automatically assume someone is in error just because of a label or name (i.e. Baptist or Catholic or Methodist), but to search out what they believe without considering prior assumptions to find out what may be error and what may be correct.

Finally, just because 500 theologians come to a conclusion that something is correct, doesn't automatically make it correct. If it can't hold up to what scripture teaches, its heresy, plain and simple. 500 theologians could stand up and declare that Christ had only a human nature, and yet they would all be wrong. We are each induvidually accountable for our response to the Gospel of our Lord, outside of what any other person or church tells us. The Apostle Paul tells us that if even an angel from heaven or Paul himself preaches a different gospel message, to let them be accursed.

14. Harley4Him

Harley4Him New Member

Not true. Adventism doesn't claim this. See the thread on Adventist Glasses, in which some Adventists acknowledge that many of their central doctrines are not in the Bible.

15. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

In order to prove an infallible teaching authority, or one that could speak infallibly, you would have to show with reasonable certianty that the leadership has a lineage back to the Apostles and then show that the same gifts of teaching with authority were successfully passed down through history.

Most denominations can't even begin to attempt to do this.

16. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Bob Ryan,

You said, 'The Infallible Holy Spirit is in each one of us - but that does NOT make each one of us "infallible".'

Except you and me, right? [​IMG]

17. Harley4Him

Harley4Him New Member

Actually Ray, many Adventists are realizing that their infallible interpretation are really prejudices they bring to scripture, and are not really supported by the Word. I think Bob is one of them which is why he won't post on the Adventist Glasses thread.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok - well "almost nobody" :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

In Christ,

Bob

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True enough. And that is why you will get so much flack from our RC bretheren whenever that "sola scriptura" view is brought up.

In Christ,

Bob

20. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

You know, I can't honestly say that scripture is my only or "alone" authority, so I really can't claim to hold to sola scriptura.

I believe that NOTHING can supercede the scriptures. However, there are many other authorities that I consider when taking in doctrine or teaching:

People:

God- Though prayer, I ask God to help guide me in truth when reading the scriptures.

Pastor- I ask numerous questions to the two pastors at my own church as well as various other pastors online and through aquaintance.

Teachers- I often ask questions from college professors.

Parents- I consider what my parents might say about our faith.

Other Christians- To compare notes and help keep me in the Word.

Books:

Nearly 20 different Bibles.

4 commentaries I have at home, plus numerous others online.

Nelsons New Illustrated Bible Commentary

New Evidence That Demands A Verdict

3 Systematic Theology books

A 37 volume set of texts from Early Church Fathers/Authors

Greek/Hebrew Lexion

ESV Bible Software

And so on...

So is the Bible the sole authority? No. However, I trust it as the divine revelation of God, inerrant and infallible.