1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nobody is perfect in their interpretation of the Bible

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Armando, Feb 11, 2004.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

And so you are without sin?

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I understand what you are saying. But all those writers must be set against scripture. It's like am man asked me one time. How do you tell a crooked stick? You lay a straight one next to it. You kay the straight stick of scripture against any teaching.

Acts 17:11, "Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so."

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And so it is with most Christians today.

But ask yourself this - would you "really" feel comfortable with any doctrine where when you ask the hard question of where it is derived - it turns out that it is merely the tradition, or opinion of "your paster, teacher, parent, friend"?

What "if" you dig down on a given doctrine and find that it rests "not" in scripture - but in the tradition/story/preference/bias of a friend, teacher/parent/pastor?

At best - you might hold it at arms length - accept it but not like "For in Six days the Lord Created the Heavens and the Earth" thundered from the mouth of God at Sinai.

But lets push the case further - What if while resting on the strength of "their bias alone" it is found to "contradict scripture"!

Basically you have to bring yourself to the point of "Trusting scripture" enough so that if the word of man contradicts "the Bible alone" - the word of man - goes.

In essence - that is "Sola Scriptura" as applied to "doctrinal validation".

In Christ,

Bob

4. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

If anything turns out to contradict scripture, of course it should always be tossed out.

What "if" you dig down on a given doctrine and find that it rests "not" in scripture - but in the tradition/story/preference/bias of a friend, teacher/parent/pastor?

We would definitely have to do away with the Trinity, one of the most fundamental teachings of the Christian faith.

We would also have to hold at an arms length the canon of scripture.

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I keep "hearing that" about the Trinity.

Here is my question for you - have you ever had a Bible study with a JW on the subject of the Trinity?

I have engaged them on that subject for months and not "once" in all that time did I "have to quote a Catholic source" to make the point.

More than that - non-Catholic Trinitarian groups conduct Gospel evangelism all the time and argue the case for the Trinity "sola scriptura".

Perhaps we have come to the point on this message board when that can be done here - again.

In Christ,

Bob

6. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

You don't have to, because it is so fundamental to the scriptures as a whole, none-the-less, the scriptures do not directly, or even indirectly share anything about a "trinity"