1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NOBT'S decision to stay??

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Trapper, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Trapper

Trapper New Member

In 1998-99 NOBTS was deciding if they should stay or move to another location. After a year or more of prayer and thinking they announced they would stay put. There main reason seemed to be so they could be a witness to New Orleans, and that moving would cost millions.

Question: did NOBTS possibly make a bad decision?

Note: Ask people who have gone there if they were a witness in New Orleans? It's my opinion that that few, and I mean very few, ventured there white faces out into the dark streets of Eastern New Orleans. I went out several times, all because a class requirment said I had too.

Bro Todd

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Obviously looking at it now, many would be tempted to say they made the wrong decision. Yet what will that prove?

I would prefer to be on the side that trusted those making the decision to stay that it was the Lord's plan for them at the time. Second guessing the decision now is not going to accomplish anything.

3. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

There's no way to answer this question by looking at the "results." No one knows or can know.

We do need to be careful when making decisions. I've seen God get blamed for more ungodly things than I could ever enumerate. "The Lord told me ..."

4. Trapper

Trapper New Member

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Brethern ... (Sisterns as well ;)

mmm ... I guess the examples of Jesus, Paul, & yes even Jonah do not give believers examples to follow God into the storm?

... If you have read my other posts on the storm, then you know that I am not a fan of the engineering used by men in the eye of the hurricane, but if we as believers (& seminary presidents and faculty) do not make the choice to risk our lives to reach the lost then who will?

[ September 06, 2005, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: El_Guero ]

6. Trapper

Trapper New Member

El Guero

Risking our lives is one thing- making bad choices is another.

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Brother,

First, I want to say that I regret the loss of human life.

I expecially want to say to those that have lost loved ones, "Even though I have been through a major hurricane, I am amazed at your holding up under this. Unfortunately, your loss is a tribute to Christ and His resurrection. Should Our Lord return today, your loved ones will rise first."

8. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I'm sure many people will look back and question decisions to stay.

I have friends who attend NOBTS and who have graduated. It is a great school that has influenced and will continue to influence the world because of what they teach their students. It is the students' and residents' responsibility to reach the city for Christ, just as it is my responsibility to reach my city for Christ.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Brother,

Back to the question: First, I agree with PastorSBC1303. Next, I realize that logic does not prove that God truly meant the seminary to remain.

Second guessing the choice now does not give the emotionaly support that many families probably need right now. Even more, I believe that bad choices are choices against God's will ...

Next, had the seminary followed logic to move the seminary, the survivors would have felt that they had been deserted by 'our' (the SBC) denomination. Further, the seminary would have actually been hit harder by the hurricane (if I remember the other location correctly). That does not sound like God's will.

Having been through a major hurricane, I know that I would have supported moving the seminary to the interior of Louisianna. However, moving into a different hurricane target area that does not have the lost all around just doesn't sound like God talking to Southern Baptists. 160 years ago we came together for the purposes of missions and sharing the Gospel here in the US (Texas was one of the unreached areas that we wanted to reach).

Presently, Baptists have an historic presence & the residents of New Orleans feel that we have shared losses with them. I would have to believe that God will use this mightily. This is not to triviliaze nor demean those Baptists that may have paid the ultimate price because they chose to stay in the evacuation zone.

Just imagine the ability of Houstonians to share with the evacuees their experience with Allison?

10. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

As a member of the United States Navy, I often do not have a choice to locate in or out of a hurricane area as all of our bases with ships are on the coast

I agree, the Lord will use this event to strengthen people's faith. Some will question God's sovereignty.

I have to believe as PastorSBC said above, that the leaders of the seminary sought God's direction when making the decision to stay.

Sometimes God's direction makes no sense to us, but we have to trust and obey. God never said it would be easy.

11. RandR

RandR New Member

I got robbed and shot at once while I was in college, at a college located in a city with a crime problem. Maybe I shouldn't have attended college.

12. RandR

RandR New Member

Yes. NOBTS should have followed the white flight to St. Tammany. Much of our convention's cosmetic "growth" and most of our so-called flaghship churches are in rapidly growing white suburbs. The move could have made NOBTS a "lab" of sorts. Maybe the seminary should just make the move to Decatur permanent...

13. Trapper

Trapper New Member

Several good points by several of you.
    Brother Ian especially in that sometimes God's leading makes no sense.

Now for the serious point of the question. Very very very few people are impacting the Big Easy. I was there, unlike those who have posted. Almost no one witness' in the city.
    Why, the same reason done of you are out in the projects regularly witnessing.???????

Just Speaking the Truth.

[ September 08, 2005, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Trapper ]

14. Trapper

Trapper New Member

One more thing:

Whenever we have a church that suddenly has its neighborhood deteriorate, the next thing you here of is the church moving. Happens alot right.

When this happens we don't say their running away do we? Of course not.

Yet we suddenly apply different standards to NOBTS.

I'll support it if it stays or moves. But I can't help but want the best for it.

Ol Trapper

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Trapper

Sad... I witness everywhere I go ... come to think of it, I ministered ON the NOBTS campus (as well as witnessed OFF CAMPUS).

Is it wrong of us, as brothers and sisters, to lend emotional, spiritual, and financial support to those that just lost everything? The president, professors, support staff, and students just lost an awful lot.

Again, I agree with PastorSBC1303

16. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

This is a completely different issue, at the present time it will do no good to second guess the decision made by the leadership. They made the decision that they felt was the Lord's will, and I am good with that. God has a purpose for all of this. Second guessing it will not help in any way.

My prayers are with the entire seminary family, that the Lord will provide for them as they seek the Lord's continued purpose in the midst of this tragedy.

17. Trapper

Trapper New Member

Warrior,
    You State:
    "Is it wrong of us, as brothers and sisters, to lend emotional, spiritual, and financial support to those that just lost everything? The president, professors, support staff, and students."

Of course not, who implied this??????

Stay focused Warrior.

18. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

And the opposite of a Warrior is?

Stay focused ...

Now is not the time to express your pain in such a manner.

I have: witnessed even in New Orleans and I have lived through a hurricane.

My brothers and sisters from New Orleans have given a great sacrifice in the furthering of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I continue to stand by their decision(s).

19. Trapper

Trapper New Member

I stand with them also, never said otherwise

Tchau
    Todd

20. Trapper

Trapper New Member

PastorSBC

I agree with your last post, and never meant otherwise. I simply made the mistake of asking a question that I though others would like to discuss.