1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Non Alcoholic Beer

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by csmith, Mar 23, 2005.

1. csmith

csmith New Member

Do you think it is wrong for a Christain to drink beer if it has not alcohol? I know of a Pastor who preaches strongly against the use of alcoholic drinks, but drinks NA Beer because he likes the taste.

Technically, I don't see it as a sin, except that it could be a stumbling block for the congregation.
    ?????

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Even N/A beer has SOME alcohol. I think it would be a bad testimony, especially since he preaches against alcohol. Someone not familiar with beer could 'think' he was drinking regular beer. :(

3. Brownov

Brownov New Member

He likes the taste? I have never met anyone who liked the taste of beer, unless they have spent time drinking it and growing accustomed to the taste.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

... ok this one of those if you are gonna quote me, you must quote me in context.

... I got out of the Army and immediately quit drinking ...

I loved the taste of Beer

... but, a Pastor preaching strongly against Beer and then drinkin NA Beer is DOING EXACTLY what Paul was preaching about with our weaker brethren. Just a weaker brother would see buying meat at the temple market as consuming at the temple, so must a weaker brother see NA Beer as the same as Beer ...

IMHO

God Bless

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Eeeww! Beer is for battering shrimp not drinking (alcoholic or not).

6. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't think it is wrong for Christians to drink beer with alcohol or any other type of alcohol. Caution is advised when doing so gives the wrong impression to someone who is struggling with alcoholism and discipline in drinking alcohol.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I was just about to ask how he KNEW he liked the taste of beer unless he's a previous drinker?

8. Brownov

Brownov New Member

menageriekeeper,

beer is also great for boiling bratwurst!

9. Brownov

Brownov New Member

El Guero,
    absolutely right. A pastor must abide by the highest of standards in order to be able to effectively minister to all in his flock. This means he may have to forego things that otherwise might be alright for any other members of his congregation.

10. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There are numerous passages in the bible warning of the dangers of alcohol abuse and drunkeness and we should heed those warnings.

I admire the call to holiness that some baptists have in trying to avoid these dangers by not drinking at all and I respect that preference. The Nazarites like Samson also took a similar vow of holiness.

11. covenant

covenant New Member

There is more alcohol in cough syrup and vanilla extract than there is in non-alcoholic beer.

1 Timothy 5:23 "No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach, and your frequent ailments.."

1 Timothy 3:8 "Deacons likewise must be serious, not double-tongued, not addicted to much wine,..."

Mt. 26:27-28 "And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, "Drink of it, all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you I shall not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom."

Acts 10:39-41 "...They put him to death by hanging him on a tree; but God raised him on the third day and made him manifest; not to all the people but to us who were chosen by God as witnesses, who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead."

Let's keep it in context. The fruit of the vine is not sin - it's the sin of drinking to get drunk that is. Why? You are not in control of your senses. People do stupid things and say stupid things when they are not in control of their senses. The Christian is never supposed to be under the control of anyone but the Holy Spirit - not the "spirits" within the bottle.

As an ex-beer drinker before becoming a Christian, I still like the taste of beer so I drink O'Douls - and haven't had a headache in 25 years!

[​IMG]

12. BibleMaMa

BibleMaMa New Member

I agree... Fake Beer looks like real beer, even the virgin tropical drinks, though made with no alcohol, they are prepared the same way in presentation.

13. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

I chew Nicorette gum for 'cuz I like the taste.

Just kidding.

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What about 50 proof NYQUIL?

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree... Fake Beer looks like real beer, even the virgin tropical drinks, though made with no alcohol, they are prepared the same way in presentation. </font>[/QUOTE]Water looks just like Vodka too.

16. natters

natters New Member

Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

17. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

He likes the taste? I have never met anyone who liked the taste of beer, unless they have spent time drinking it and growing accustomed to the taste.

That's very true! I spent years sloshing myself with beer - and I do love the taste. I do regret that now. :( But I cannot drink NA beer because of the witness. It contains much less alcohol than cough medicine or other medicines. That's not the issue. The issue is what example it would set!

And besides that's money in the pockets of the beer distributors anyway!!

18. Gib

Gib Active Member

Don't drink a Sprite in a paper bag to keep the moisture off your hands, people will spread rumors.

19. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What about 50 proof NYQUIL? </font>[/QUOTE]Straight to hell! ;)

20. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

This topic resurfaces every once in a while, so here goes:

1. I strongly disagree that drinking is a sin; HOWEVER, I do not personally drink anymore. I have watched alcoholism destroy the marriage of my best friend. One night he and I were out and I asked for a Guinness (the only beer I would drink). I will never forget the look on his face, and quickly told the server: "Hey, on second thought, could I have a glass of tea?" He looked right at me, and thanked me. I have not had a drink since that incident.

2. Remember the first miracle? Water into wine. But it wasn't just wine, it was the very best. You will recall that the people were mad at the father - claiming that he saved the best for last. I have been to several Jewish weddings, and they did not serve grape juice. How many of you believe that it was grape juice on the heads of the dancers in Fiddler on the Roof when Motel married Reb Teve's daughter?

3. As I stated in point number one, I would only drink Guinness beer. Did you know that Guinness beer is not only good for you, it is very difficult to get drunk on it? Here is a link to a story I found about Mr. Guinness:
    http://www.icwm.net/articles_view.asp?articleid=8553&columnid=

4. Most importantly, I would encourage you to pray about it. Rather than asking those of us on the board, ask the Father. Believe me: He WILL answer.

Wishing you the very best this Easter holiday,

BiR