1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Non-Alcoholic Wine?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by rjprince, Dec 14, 2004.

?
  1. No, all Bible wine is alcoholic. That is what wine is!

100.0%
  2. Yes, sometimes the Bible uses the word "wine" to refer to beverage that is not fermented.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    my pastor (who preaches hard against consumption of alcholic drinks) drinks beer... malt beer.
    It tastes as awful as regular beer but is supposed to have some helpful properties for the body...

the only beer i love drinking is ginger beer. (dh and i call it our luxury good... [​IMG] )

2. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

The second post on this thread was a bit lengthy, but very accurate. Thanks!

I used to be a teetotaler, believing that drinking alcoholic beverages was sinful. The freedom from wrong theology is very liberating indeed!

Just three weeks ago, I had champagne with my wife after we had just been married. I regularly drink wine and beer, with moderation. I don't like 'dry' wines, but ones with some sweetness.
    Champagne like Martini & Rossi Asti and Gran Spumante. Red wines like Sangria, white wines like German Riesling. I also like Yuengling Lager and Michelob Honey Lager.

Thanks for discussing this issue. It is too often that those who insist on 'welching' are also the ones that don't realize the inconsistency of their position about wine in the Bible.

3. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

SquireBob,

(No offence intended, but I just hate to write out the whole name on posts. SquireBob not the same as squarebob, or sponge Bob squire pants! You can call me most anything, just not late for supper.)

Good point re seasonal issue. You ought to read some of the arguments against Jesus making or drinking "alcoholic" wine -- "semper mustum" and all that... (or maybe you have!)

Before Welch there was no such thing as grape juice at passover time!

4. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

LRL,

Thanks and sorry for length. I have a hard time condensing. You should have seen the 4th or 5th revision if you think it is long now!

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Interesting that some would like wine so well. My parents were grape farmers. I saw what went into that wine. Personally I don't care much for the taste of it. None in our family really likes wine much either. We always had bottles around our home because the winery gave them to us. But one bottle would be gone about two or three inches in one year until someone would come over and then my parents would give them some.

I would much rather let a kid taste it when they are young and not like it, than let him try it with his friends later and think that somehow it is supposed to taste good. One Monday I came to class and a student was missing because he drank so much a few days earlier that he choked on his own vomit. The class was not wuite the same. He was a good student too.

6. Psalm145 3

Psalm145 3 New Member

The Holy Bible teaches total abstinence
    from alcoholic beverages.

Pastors must abstain from alcohol:

1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach.

The word "vigilant" is translated from the Greek word "nephaleos" (nay-fal'-ee-os) Strong's # 3524, it's derived from the Greek word "nepho" (nay'-fo) Strong's #3525, it means to abstain from wine (keep sober).

Deacon's wives must abstain from alcohol:

1 Timothy 3:11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.

"sober" - same word, "nephaleos" - Strong's #3524.

Aged men are commanded to be sober:

Titus 2:2 That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.

God the Holy Spirit used the same word here, "nephaleos" Strong's #3524 - to abstain from wine (keep sober).

Every person in the Thessalonian church is commanded to abstain from alcohol:

1 Thessalonians 5:6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.

Strong's #3525 -to abstain from wine.

All believers, bar none, are commanded to abstain from alcoholic beverages:

1 Thessalonians 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

2 Timothy 4:5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

"watch" - Strong's #3525 - "nepho"- to abstain from wine.

1 Peter 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.

"watch - Strong's #3525 - "nepho"- to abstain from wine.

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.

"sober" - Strong's #3525 - "nepho"- to abstain from wine.

7. natters

natters New Member

Psalm145 3 said "The Holy Bible teaches total abstinence from alcoholic beverages."

No, it teaches total abstinence from abuse of alcoholic beverages.

The Bible says Jesus drank wine (Luke 7:33-34). I believe it.

8. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

"Interesting that some would like wine so well. "

To each his own, I suppose. My wife and I like to have some wine with dinner or after dinner about once a week. As others have suggested, I think that having some wine in moderation is an acceptable thing to do. Even our Savior consumed wine when on this earth. But my tastes run the opposite of LRL71. Except for German Riesling. They make the best sweet wines. Otherwise a nice Grenache or Syrah or Mourvedre from the Rhone and I am happy.

9. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

This thread brings to mind something that a very godly deacon of the church of which I was a member some 30 or so years ago [an independent, fundamental BC] told me.

This man came from Denmark. He spoke with a Danish accent, and, with the exception of his immediate family, all of his relatives still lived in Denmark. His business was importing and marketing Scandinavian furniture here in the U.S., an occupation that required his presence back in his homeland several times a year.

Now, when he was in his homeland, he drank wine with his meals with his family (who were also Christians....and not just "in name only") and thought nothing of it. In that culture, wine with a meal was an everyday custom, and it wasn't because they had "bad water" either; in fact, to refuse wine with a meal over there was practically an affront to the host (both Christian and non-Christian).

On the other hand, when this deacon was in fundamental, independent Baptist circles here in the U.S., he abstained from the use of wine. He was open about when he used and didn't use wine both prior to his ordination as a deacon (by that U.S. church) and subsequent to it.

He told me that, while he was accused by some as being a compromiser and hypocritical and inconsistent for this practice, he saw nothing wrong with it.

He equated it with a missionary serving in a different culture from that in which he was reared: Some practices that are accepted by one culture are frowned upon by others. Some things (and I'm not talking about core doctrines that are clearly laid out in Scripture) that are considered as practically "Articles of Faith" in some areas of this world would be a stumbling block to ministering to both lost and saved folks in other areas of the world.

I saw nothing wrong that deacon's outlook on when to use--and when not to use--wine.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I am unsure on the issue of whether believers should drink alcohol or not. On the one hand, I don't think it's wrong for them to do so; but on the other hand, it seems somehow unnecessary; even a little alcohol gives you a buzz; and it might compromise your witness. We have liberty to do so but not all things we are at liberty to do are beneficial.

I am also somewhat biased as I had an alcoholic parent. Such an experience is a living hell on earth, believe me.

I used to drink wine and beer (and hard stuff a few times but I didn't like it) before being a believer, then I drank a little wine and beer at times (with meals only) after becoming a believer. But after my ministry picked up, I decided to give up all alcoholic drinks. The main reasons were:
    1. As an exmaple to show my son that adults can live fine without drinking alchohol
    2. So that drinking could not somehow be used against me in my ministry

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

If in doubt, the answer should always be NO.

12. natters

natters New Member

What if one doubts if they should always abstain? ;)

13. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Then the Lord hasn't convicted you and that's between you and HIM. As for me and MY house... Thumbs Down on liquor.

14. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

It would be nice if those who are against drinking wine were also against eating food that is unhealthy, such as: white sugar, corn syrup (soda, syrups, candy), hydrogenated oil, pasteurized milk, meat produced with growth hormones, etc.

We are sick and dying from what we eat. Our food supply is contaminated with adulterated ingredients and food dyes. But God forbid that someone should drink a healthy product like wine!

15. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Marcia said:

"I am also somewhat biased as I had an alcoholic parent. Such an experience is a living hell on earth, believe me."

Well, since this discussion has gotten so far off topic, I would add that Marcia's observation is a good one. There does seem to be evidence that there can be an inherited predisposition toward alcoholism, and one should always consider that. Some people can handle moderate alcohol use; for others, it's a downward spiral or at least a battle.

IMO

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good as far as it goes, but you made a leap in the logic that may be fatal. Nefaleous does mean "sober" but that does NOT mean "abstain from wine". That is not the antithesis of sober.

Drunkeness is. A pastor is to be "sober", i.e. not drunk. It does NOT say he cannot have ANY wine. One may drink a glass of wine and stay sober (albeit you WILL be affected by any amount of alcohol and hence my choice for non-alcoholic wines - had a glass with dinner tonight!)

17. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I'm telling your church next week. You will be in trouble now.

Actually, I'll pull the ultimate in "out of context" practice and just print the part shown above. I've seen so many people do it with the Bible, why not try it with your post? :D :eek: [​IMG] [​IMG]

Actually, I do have a point--how often have we seen people right on this board that justifies a doctrine by butchering the Bible this way? [​IMG]

18. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

Bob,

What do you drink in the 'non-alcoholic' wine variety? I haven't found much of a selection of non-alcoholic wines here. The supermarket I go to usually has a great variety of alcoholic wine, but not much else. I strongly tend to prefer sweeter wines rather than those that are 'dry'. My wife (I was married on 11/27/2004) has cerebral palsy (and she teaches Kindergarten!), and the use of alcohol is necessary to control her pain from muscle spasms. I'd prefer to avoid 'the buzz' that I get from drinking the alcoholic variety by drinking non-alcoholic wine, but we like to drink the same thing together. Any suggestions?

19. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Now you guys are turning into professional "non-alcoholic wine tasters" haha

LRL71. I have a suggestion if your wife has not had a chance to try it. I know this is way off course, but I am going to mention it here so that you and others may see it. This has nothing to do with the use of alcohol, but might provide some much needed relief.

If your wife has muscle spasms, she has no doubt tried Flexaril (sp?) a very good muscle relaxer. Flexaril has one major downside of producing excessive sleepiness.

My wife has fibro-myalgia and has major muscle spasms where her muscles in her back knot like charlie-horses (or so they are called here). They are knots as hard as a rock and with pain to match.

Your doctor can now prescribe a new mixture of Flexaril mixed with a substance that promotes absorption through the skin (much like that used on horses, but it is dangerous if poisons are on the skin because it will push them into the blood stream). This comes in syringes for measured doses and you just rub a bit on the knotted area. The Flexaril works directly on the knot and does not cause sleepiness.

I don't know if she has tried this, but you may want to ask your doctor about it. I can get you the exact name if you need it. The pharmacist mixes it for you and loads the syringes (no needle, just a dispensing syringe).

Just thought this might help.

Now, back to the subject at hand.

[ December 18, 2004, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Phillip ]

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LRL71, Try a web search on 'Sutter Home fre'. This is the Sutter Home brand non-alcoholic wine. It is sold in QFC stores here in WA.

Also 'Ariel' brand and the only kind they make is non-alcoholic (I'm pretty sure). and many kinds, Chardonnay, Zinfandel, Cabernets, etc.

There are European brands but they are cost-prohibitive because of shipping fees.

HankD