Non-Calvinist Theologians (resurrected thread)

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by thatbrian, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh. OK. Nevermind. Carry on. :)

2. supersoldier71 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is the Dean of the School of Divinity at Liberty University--which, is my alma mater in the interest of full disclosure--and he is most definitely not a Calvinist.

In fact, if there are any on the faculty at LU, I've yet to meet them.

3. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember a few. Dr. Ice is the only one I can recall by name, probably because of his position and his cool name (and his dispensationalism, which originated with the Calvinists).

4. thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberty U. would close its doors before allowing a Calvinist onto its faculty, but it welcomed the likes of Ergun Caner with fanfare and defended him after the whole world knew of his deceit.

They would have been better off with a Calvinist.

5. Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Dr. Roger Schultz is on on the faculty of Liberty University. He is a Calvinist and was featured on the DVD series "Amazing Grace: The History and Theology of Calvinism".

6. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you think that Liberty wouldn't (and doesn't) have Calvinists on its faculty?

7. thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a guess based on my knowledge of the place. And, I guess it was missed, but my statement was hyperbolic.

8. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok. Now if you had ventured into covenant theology...:Biggrin

On a more serious note, one of the reasons I liked the seminary was that it taught such issues without pushing one or the other. An exception was dispensationalism, but more in what it supported than demanded of others. It was also very dogmatic about a 6 literal day creation account.

9. Joined:
    Dec 31, 2017
    Faith:
    Baptist
    I
    Didn't say
    I didn't say he wasn't a Calvinist. I said he wasn't a 5 pointer. I said he was moderate at best. The verses you posted are not very convincing at all. Could you show us something more specific?

10. Joined:
    Dec 31, 2017
    Faith:
    Baptist

I will agree however that the other names I mentioned are more in line with what was being asked of in this forum. That is non-Calvinist theologians. I felt that in the area of soteriology specifically that Mathew Henry and his commentary was less Calvinistic than the other Calvinists.

11. Joined:
    Dec 31, 2017
    Faith:
    Baptist
    This question I was asking was meant for Rippon and i think Jerome's links are exactly what I was referring to in that Mathew Henry believed and wrote a universal atonement unlike other high point Calvinists. The atonement is specific to soteriology which was what was this thread asked for.

12. utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Non-Calvinist Theologians

Oh thats easy, Jesus Christ.

13. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :rolleyes: 'At that time Jesus answered and said, "I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes. Even so, Father, for it seemed good in Your sight.
    Al things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son and the one whom the Son wills to reveal Him"'
    (Matthew 11:25-27).

14. Joined:
    Dec 31, 2017
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Specific to Mathew Henry commentary.

15. Joined:
    Dec 31, 2017
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Another non-Calvinist that should be mentioned is Benjamin Randal( free will baptist).

16. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

17. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't consider him a theologian/Teacher/etc. However, he did plant churches/did missionary endeavors. I do understand that he did oppose Calvinism in the NE part of the country.

18. Joined:
    Dec 31, 2017
    Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, I can agree with that but can't the same be said of George Whitefield on the other side? I know that it is documented that Randall was very strong on his doctrinal view relating to the atonement. it was the Calvinistic views held by many early on in his ministry that drove him to study the scriptures and discover He came to believe a different understanding.

19. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't include George Whitefield...and i may have missed where someone did.

20. Joined:
    Dec 31, 2017
    Faith:
    Baptist