1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Non-Calvinists: Best argument?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Isaiah40:28, Feb 12, 2008.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Thanks Matt. I am glad to see you have been able to grasp it all.

It just seems like there is more there than what you have stated here...

The more I study it, the more I feel like I really do not grasp just how big and powerful our God truly is.

Maybe I am just overanlyzing something. It is an interesting concept, and I appreciate your thoughts on it.

2. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK...I don't get what "n/t" means. Would someone please enlighten me?

The Archangel

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Good point, cowboymatt.

1. Plus, in the cotext of the OT, it was the monotheism of the Jews against the henotheism and polytheism and so on of the pagan gods.

2. That is why we read often the expresssion: "So that they may know the God of Israel."

3. Above all else, the OT portrays God as the sovereign of the Universe.

4. Consider a book like Daniel and the sovereignty of God and the realization Neby came to:

At the end of that time, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven, and my sanity was restored. Then I praised the Most High; I honored and glorified him who lives forever.
    His dominion is an eternal dominion;
    his kingdom endures from generation to generation.

All the peoples of the earth
    are regarded as nothing.
    He does as he pleases
    with the powers of heaven
    and the peoples of the earth.
    No one can hold back his hand
    or say to him: "What have you done?"
    (Dan 4:34, 35, NIV, emphasis mine)

5. And I love Amos 3:6:

When a trumpet sounds in a city,
    do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city,
    has not the LORD caused it? (NIV).

4. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

My second point still stands, at least in my mind, because it is the result of taking the Calvinist doctrine of total depravity to its logical end.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes. My father "created me" so to speak, and if I built the home I live in, I created the home and am the original cause of the home, not my father. He is the original cause of me.

6. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I don't think the analogy holds. Our earthly fathers really have a very limited control over what we become and what we do in our lives. God, on the other hand, could have created a garden of Eden without the tree of good and evil. He could have created man without freedom of choice. He could have predestined that there would never be sin in the world. He did none of these things. If He had the outcome would have been much different.

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Maybe you could elaborate on this point, if you have time. How do you define Total Depravity or how do you think Calvinism defines T.D.?

BTW, I've heard the same charge from Open Theists that if God is omniscient then that makes him the author of sin by virtue of knowing what would come about by his choosing to create the world.

8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes; God created man and the natural man is in rebellion against His will. How can this be? It's called freewill. Can't you sin anytime you wish? Of course you can, is it God that made you sin against His own will? I'm sorry but a house devided against itself cannot stand. We cannot blame God for our sins as some do. We all have a choice to rebel with our freewill. Jonah did, Pharoah did, The Jews did, We all have at sometime or another and because God gave us the right to choose evil, doesn't make Him responsible for our choice. His responsibility ended when God gave man a will of his own. No man is forced into sin we all do it because we want to not because God wants us to.
    MB

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you implying God is the author of sin? How does the analogy not hold if the one who created me is not the cause of what I created? God created man...man creates sin, not God.

10. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

What the Open Theists say is a legitimate argument. There are times in theology when it is best to through our hands up and say, "I don't know! God and his ways are bigger than my abilities to think and reason!" The interaction between human free will (which is evident in Scripture from beginning to end) and God's sovereignty (also evident in Scripture from beginning to end) is a mystery to us at the end of the day. Human free will alone can't be the answer because then humans would have a reason to boast in choosing Christ; but God's determinism can't be the only answer because it makes people like puppets and doesn't square will all of Scripture. It seems to me that we have to hold these two ideas in tension. Is that easy? No. Is it fun or popular? No. But I still think that we should do it.

As to your first question: if people have no free will and God predetermines everything, then God must be the author of evil because it couldn't have originated in people because they have no free will. And you can't pawn it off on Satan, because God made him and if God predetermines all, then he made Satan evil and made him influence Adam and Even and ultimately all the humans to sin. If you push the notion of TD and God's predeterminism to their logical ends, God is on the hook for sin and evil...something that, if true, makes me not think that he is worthy of worship.

11. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Total depravity, at least the way I understand it, doesn't deny free will. It simply says that after the Fall, man's nature is such that he chooses according to his sinful nature. So he is free, but he is limited by his sin nature. It is him sinning, not God programming him to sin. It says nothing about God influencing or causing man to sin. It simply says that man's nature is so fallen that all he wants to do is sin and rebel against God. Now, you may not agree with that concept, but hopefully you can free yourself from the misconception that Calvinism teaches or implies that God programs, influences or makes man sin.

#51 Andy T., Feb 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2008
  12. AAA

AAA New Member

"N/T" means "no text", or do not even bother with opening it to look for something to read, because there is nothing there to read......

13. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So did you mean to say "Good post but no text?" Or did you think my post was a bunch of hooey?

I'm sorry for my misunderstanding.

The Archangel

14. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

I am not arguing that the doctrines of Calvin are bad, I am arguing that their logical ends are bad. If you combine total depravity with God's predeterminism, you must admit that you aren't left with anything other than God causing people to sin. That is the logical end of those two doctrines. Calvin and his followers may want to resist this, but logic is logic.

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

How then do we understand Luke 22:22; Acts 2:23; 4:27, 28?

16. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

The passages in Acts are about Jesus being predestined to die as the Messiah. Even most Arminians would agree that Jesus was selected for this puprose even before the Incarnation, if not from the very foundations of the world.

Luke 22.22 is also about Jesus going the way decreed for him, again something that virtually no Christian (besides maybe Open Theists) would have a problem with him. Interestingly, what gets people in trouble according to Luke 22.22, betraying the Son of Man. Betrayal is a willful decision and action, the result of thought and free will. :)

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Did the predetermination include the wicked hands of those who carried out the death of Christ? Acts 2:23 seems to be saying this.

18. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

"with the help of wicked men" seems to only be a judgment of these people's character. That God used "wicked men" is of no surprise, he's done that from way back (Pharaoh).

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

If I understand your post correctly, then wicked people were predetermined by God.

20. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

Or were people used by God and their actions then called "wicked." I don't know. And it doesn't matter by the way. If we are going to base our entire theology on one vague reference to evil people being used by God, then we all need help!