1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Non-Calvinists: Best argument?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Isaiah40:28, Feb 12, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

This is by no means a vague reference.

In fact, we see the same with Judas betrayal of Jesus (John 17:12).

2. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

Again, Judas is wrapped up in the entire "send Jesus to the cross" deal.

And what would it mean anyway that God predetermined to use some evil people? What are driving at here?

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

As someone who believes in the compatibility view, that is, man is 100% responsible for his action while at the same time accomplishing the predetermined will of God.

This is what I see in Luke 22:22.

Consider Joseph's journey to Egypt: His brother meant it for evil, but God meant it for God.

I know you're an NIV guy, so here's it in the NIV:

And now, do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you. 6 For two years now there has been famine in the land, and for the next five years there will not be plowing and reaping. 7 But God sent me ahead of you to preserve for you a remnant on earth and to save your lives by a great deliverance. (Gen 45, emphasis mine)

Notice that his brothers were 100% involved, but God was also 100% involved.

4. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

That makes enough sense to me.

My point through all of this is that from my perspective I have free will and I am involved 100 percent. I do not doubt that God is involved in our lives, but we can't control that or know exactly how that works. So why don't we just live from our perspective.

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I rather live with both in mind; it's comforting to me to know that God is in control and works all things out according to the purpose of His will:

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" (Rom 8:28, NIV, emphasis mine).

6. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

True. Thanks for the exchange TCG!

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Cowboymatt, yeah, me too. :thumbs:

8. Allan

Allan Active Member

Best arguements?
    I'm not sure why you set this up since this is something that is ALWAYS stated over and over and over and over and et..., in every C/A debate. They are views that have been debated if not hotly debated over the last 500 years and still with no resolve.

If people wanted to see the arguments just let them look in ANY one of hundreds of threads.

The said however here are what some of the best arguments have always been:
    1. Regeneration is AT salvation not before
    2. Unlimited Atonement is the biblical model of the Atonement sacrifice
    3. Grace is resistable.

The real arguments are actaully about the mechanics of the above truths and not the truths themselves.

The other two points (depavity and Preserverence of the Saints) are not so much argued by the majority. I know that they are argued by a some but it is limited.

#68 Allan, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never heard of "depavity" or "preserverence" . Are those new theological terms ?:laugh:

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Just a quick clarification - I am not a follower of Calvin.

I guess I haven't seen the logical end of T.D. leading to God causing men to sin, unless you are talking about a brand of Hyper-Calvinism that says God works evil into his creatures the same way he works good.

11. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

I'm not talking about a particular brand of Calvinism, I'm thinking about the logical end of predestination and total depravity. I'm not saying that Calvin said these things or that any of his follower have. What I am saying is that I am not okay with the logical ends of some of Calvin's doctrines.

12. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Best argument:

Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

13. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

I was interested in what each side thought was the "best" argument for their position.
    Who cares if there are 100's of similar threads. Different people participate each time, plus, perhaps someone may be convinced of the other's view through the exchange.

14. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

How is this an arguement against Calvinism? Calvinism teaches that. I fully 100%believe that whoever believes will be saved.

15. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I take this scripture at face value. I do not filter it through the views of a theologian. That is if ANYONE believes on Christ he will be saved. And ANYONE can.

16. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

John 3:16 doesn't say anyone can.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

In so many word. "whoever" of the "world" can.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a word NO .

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'Whoever' more properly means 'those who' . No one 'can' of their own power . You can't get that from John 3:16 . We already know from other parts of Scripture that people have the inability to turn to the Lord on their own ( to put it mildly ) .

20. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree that Calvinism teaches that. Particular election dictates that only a preselcet few can be saved. The Bible teaches all can be saved. The Bible teaches all have Salvation availiable to them and the only thing that keeps men from being saved is rebellion.
    MB