1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Non-Calvinists Redefine Terms

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Jul 23, 2007.

1. russell55

russell55 New Member

Every Calvinistic (supra, infra, Amyraldian) viewpoint agrees that God foreordained everything from the beginning. The difference is not about whether everything is foreordained from the beginning, but about the logical basis for the decrees having to do with individual salvation. How does the plan build logically: which decrees provide the logical basis for which other decrees?

The saving benefits of the resurrection are restricted to the elect, but that restriction occurs not only in the supra scheme, but in the infra scheme as well. (And the application of the saving benefits of the resurrection is restricted to the elect in the Amyraldian one as well.)

Other nonredemptive purposes for the resurrection (like the ones I listed for you in my previous post) have universal significance, but those purposes are not dealt with in the order of the decrees because of their narrow focus on the plan for salvation.

In the nonredemptive purposes I listed for you previously, for a start.

I don't necessarily disagree with this. But I also think that every view of how we are saved has an "order of decrees" that undergirds it. If you examine any view, you can deduce some things about the logical order of the decrees that must undergird it. Even classical arminianism, for instance, has an order of decrees.

I don't know of anyone of any view except perhaps open theism who says that the saving benefits of the resurrection were intended for everyone.

Now you've gone from the plan of salvation (order of the decrees) to salvation history (the events of the plan that actually occur within time). The resurrection is the defining event in salvation history because it is the historical grounds upon which anyone whom God plans to save will actually be saved. Election is not part of salvation history. Election is planning, not history. The resurrection is history.

Ahhh...but that's not what the decrees (any of them) say. They are not about one thing being sorted out before another thing is realized. It is all one single eternal intention, and there is not an order of succession in God's deliberation. It is only a logical order. Some pieces of the plan provide the basis for the other pieces. For instance, in every single order you'll find, the decree for the fall comes logically after the decree to create. That is because any plan to permit people to fall assumes the presence of creation. In order for people to fall, they have to exist as created beings. And the plan to redeem always comes after (logically) the plan to permit the fall, because any plan to redeem assumes the presence of sin.

So the question answered by the difference in logical order between supra and infra in the order of the decrees is "Was the primary reason people were reprobated because they were sinners, or because God is freely sovereign?" It doesn't really have anything to do with God sorting out reprobation and election before realizing that people would need a Saviour. He always knew they would need a Saviour.

2. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Right. So then, as I said, the definition of World does not mean "every person without exception". It is every person within a particular scope, is it not?

Still waiting for an example of when the word "world" means every person without exception. I'm not even sure if there isn't one. All I know is no one here has provided one.

And yes, the definition of propitiation is within the scope of the OP and is appropriate for this thread.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Only in relation to # 2 (geographical location - like we find regarding Romes taxing of the world)

However, the scope of 'World' in #3 (all sinful and wicked mankind) does mean every and all sinful wicked person without exception.

We are not speaking of all people in relation to a geographic location. When scripture says: God so loved the 'world'... the propitation of our sins and not ours only but the sins of the 'whole world'... ext. we are speaking of the 'world' as defined by God throughout the OT as sinful and wicked man.

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

Just off hand here is one where 'world' means every and all sinful wicked men:

World does not mean every person without exception but every sinful and wicked person :thumbs:

EDITED In >>>
    Here is one just to balance it out from the NT:
    What does whole world mean to John?
    and ---

#24 Allan, Jul 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  5. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Russell55,

I guess we're probably not going to agree on this.

My main point of critique with what we call "calvinism" is that it sets out to define everything too logically. Much of this I think falls under the umbrella of God's will - something I think defies such a logical explanation. In order to "make things work" for calvinism one ends up making assumptions that I find presumptious.

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

bump . . .