1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Non-Lordship and the NLT

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TCGreek, Jul 29, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I don’t think non-Lordship advocates would be too happy with the NLT’s rendering of the Greek metanoia, “repentance”:

Peter replied, “Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 2:38, NLT, emphasis added)

I have had one message for Jews and Greeks alike—the necessity of repenting from sin and turning to God, and of having faith in our Lord Jesus. (Acts 20:21, NLT, emphasis added)

For Lordship advocates, repentance is a change of mind about sins, but for non-Lordship advocates, repentance is a change of mind about Christ.

I wonder how many non-Lordship advocates are reading the NLT…?

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lordship....

Things are getting so mixed up and complicated that we rarely hear the L-word mentioned during sermons anymore.
    It's too much of a minefield.

It's not one of J.I. Packers "18 words". :tongue3:

Rob

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

"Hmmm!!!

'Vedd-dy In-te-lesting!!'

I vonder if zis is vhy you said I shudt get an NLT a couple of dayze zaggo. :tongue3:

No, vait! Zat vas ze TNIV." (Wolfgang)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

"Never mind!!" (Emily Litella)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

#3 EdSutton, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I hope not.

5. nunatak

nunatak New Member

With no more info than the OP has, it sounds like a works based salvation you are suggesting.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Repent/repentance…
    It’s not a everyday word, it could easily be understood wrongly.
    Paul provides a critical definition in his letter to the Corinthians [in 2 Cor. 7:10].
    A God intended grief/sadness/sorrow leads to repentance but there is a worldly grief that doesn’t.
    Repentance therefore leads us therefore away from sin and towards God;
    repentance is not just simply grief.
    The NLT incorporates that into many of its uses of the word repentance.

This is from the NLT’s introduction:
    Also see these verses where the NLT expands the verse and is distinctly different from all other English translations.

Matthew 4:17 - “Repent of your sins and turn to God,

Luke 3:3,8 - ...repented of their sins and turned to God to be forgiven.

Luke 16:30 - they will repent of their sins and turn to God.

Acts 19:4 - repentance from sin.

Acts 20:21 - the necessity of repenting from sin and turning to God,

2 Corinthians 7:10 - For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience leads us away from sin and results in salvation.

Rob

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Apparently, my attempted humorous response went over like a lead balloon here, so I will try with a legit one.

First, the rendering (in any version) in Ac. 2:38 is not that of the noun 'metanoia', but the verb 'metanoeO'.

Second, that portion of Acts 2:38 reads in this manner in the Greek language.
    Despite some minor differences (which one can find delineated in Hodges/Farstad MT- 2, which I did not reproduce), there is no real question as to the meaning of the text.

Thus my objection to the NLT rendering is that it reads theology into the text, by adding the words "of your sins" to the text, when it cannot be found, here in the text.

Third, Acts 20:21. Here the noun 'metanoia' is used. However, unfortunately again we have 'interpretation added' as opposed to 'translation given'.
    Again, the small differences textually do not significantly affect the real meaning of the text. However, we still have the problem of importing theology into the text. The rendering of the noun 'metanoia' as a gerund in English, is uncalled for, with the adding of the words "from sin" to make it stand.

I do not agree that these so-called (and also mislabeled) "non-Lordship" advocates (of which, I guess I is considered one by you, despite my unhappiness at the mischaracterization) 'always' read "repentance" as "repentance is a change of mind about Christ". Here, 'repentance' is said (by the text) to be 'directed' "towards God".
    (The NASB, NKJV, KJV, DARBY, HCSB, and ASV all get it right, here.) However, it is not necessary that repentance 'alwauys' be 'directed' in this manner. For salvation, yes! Exactly!

However, when one is saved one certainly should have a change of mind about sin, and the practice of it. It's called 'discipleship' and/or 'growth', or in other words, one now 'submitting' to the Lordship of the Lord Jesus Christ, something that is in no way even possible for one who is unsaved.

Ed

#7 EdSutton, Jul 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Thanks for this output, Ed.

1. Yes, you're correct about the form of metanoia in the text. I was thinking too much English.

2. That is why I said non-lordship proponents would have a problem with it.

3. I think so too. I think its part of adding "from sin."

4. I was only referencing Ryrie (So Great Salvation).

I agree with your concluding remarks.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'll start by saying I like the NLT. I'm reading it through currently.

I believe Ed summarized quite well the meaning of the text...

This is what true repentance is...a turn from self to God. Since living for yourself is sin, I believe the NLT was trying to state just that.

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Well, Ed doesn't think so.