1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Non-remembered Sin

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jer 31:34
    “They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,” declares the LORD, “for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.

Heb 10:17
    “AND THEIR SINS AND THEIR LAWLESS DEEDS
    I WILL REMEMBER NO MORE.”

Years ago another bible student posting on this board pointed out that it is unlikely God cannot recall the actions we took for which we stored up wrath before we were saved. For example a record of the event might exist (newspaper or digitally) plus the memories of those involved. No, what seems more likely is God chooses not to recall the consequence He imposed or would impose, had we not undergone the washing of regeneration.

Two words are key in the above verses of scripture, remember and sin.

Remember refers to recalling a memory. As we go through life, our minds make and store the memories of events. Later, as least to a degree, our minds can search and recall those memories. But in addition, we respond or act upon those memories. For example, say we tell someone we will pick them up at the airport at such or such a time on such or such a day, we are mindful of that promise and act upon that memory.

Sin refers to two actions, our action to commit the sin (thought or deed) and God's action to store up wrath as a consequence of that sin. So when God says He will remember no more the "sin" I believe He is referring to the consequence He would have imposed, had we not undergone the washing of regeneration. Thus God will not be "mindful" of our sin.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a verse that illustrates the idea of remembering referring to being mindful of the consequence of sin.

Rev 16:19
    The great city was split into three parts and the cities of the nations collapsed. So Babylon the great was remembered before God, and was given the cup filled with the wine made of God's furious wrath.

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two things. The text does not say God does not or cannot remember our sins. Second, in the Greek, οὐ μή, literally God will not in any way bring it to rememberance. God knows His payment in full.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most folks would disagree with your claim. I agree the verse does not address whether God could remember, but no claim was made that God could not remember. The text says God will not remember forever, and because God keeps His promises, we can take it to the bank.

And to repeat, "sin" has two parts, our activity (thought or deed) and God's imposed consequence. As shown about, I think the "God imposed consequence" is the "sin" God will not remember forever. Thus the other side of the "forgiveness" coin.