1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

None of us are perfect, right?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bobby Hamilton, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Christos doulos

Christos doulos New Member

My friend. I beg to differ :laugh:

2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only thing to remember is in order to have a good understanding of scripture is to be God dependent.
    Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    MB

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad I was wrong about the number of responses....

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    not quite...you have the cart before the horse

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Amen!!!!

6. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...seems this thread has turned into an example of the OP....

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No problem.

Keep this in mind. Peter, James, and Paul and others had deep theological disagreements. And they all had encountered Jesus Christ, personally!! :laugh: They tried to resolve them and did somewhat, but never did fully and completely agree, or at least to me it doesn't appear that Peter and James were 100% steadfast in some issues involving the place of the Law in the Christian walk.

And Paul, a former Pharisee who had been saved, was in disagreement with a whole group of former Pharisees who had been saved over similar matters.

The Bible says that "discussions" they all had were "no small disagreement" - meaning that there were voices raised and fussing.

So - it stands to reason that 2000 years later - generations removed from Christ's human walk on this planet - that there will be theological disagreements.

As far how do we KNOW if we are wrong?
    • Well, we have to admit that we DON'T know everything. And we have to be open-minded to others and sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes at least hear them out and consider what they say compared to what the scriptures say.
    • We have to listen to the Holy Spirit.
    • We have to do four things with the Bible. Read, meditate on it, study it, and memorize portions of it. All four are uniquely expressin IN the Bible as to how to utilize the Bible. All four have a place in the Christian walk.
    • We have to pray for discernment and listen to the Lord and accept His chastisements.
    • We MUST, MUST forgo tradition and man-made teachings as inspiration.
    • And, we need allow the scripture to interpret scripture.
    And you did realize that you would get differing opinions on this, didn't you? :laugh: :flower:

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Scarlett, your post made me think that maybe God wants us to learn from one another. Hmmm......

10. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would appear so....:laugh: :flower:

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I have changed my views in some areas over the years. Not in the basic Baptist doctrines so much, but in my eschatology and ecclesiology.

I, as you, was a dispensationalist, partly because when I was first exposed to the doctrine of the end times, that was all I was taught. I was a Hal Lindsey fan. My experience paralleled yours--it sort of unraveled under challenge.

I have also re-evaluated how we as Baptists call men and women to repentance and faith, particularly the methodology of the altar call.

I was moved to even re-examine the very language we use in describing how people come to repentance and faith.

It is not fun. In fact, it is disconcerting to come to the point where you no longer believe a view you thought was settled.

Even today, as a septuagenarian, there are some areas where I can only say "this is where I am today. I may not be there tomorrow."

12. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes....exactly right my brother! It is very difficult.....
    On end times...I was taught the premill was it...all others were on the edge of apostasy:laugh:
    The Lord used a Lutheran brother to begin to challenge me at a bible study.
    I would really go at Him demanding a strictly literal view of everything:laugh:

I began to study Hebrews at that time,and discovered the puritans,Owen ,Edwards,etc... it rocked my end times view...

On the grace of God I have never drifted ...if anything...seeing the other views continues to let me know the certainty of the DoG.

I am still learning.....constantly seeking to re-evaluate many things now
    1] covenants.....one covenant or two? Last week in Oregon, I went to Monergisms bookstore and picked up Greg Nichols new book on RB Covenant theology...http://www.monergismbooks.com/Coven...ic-Perspective-on-Gods-Covenants-p-20205.html

2] church...is there really a visible and invisible church[biblically] theologically they say there is...I am not as certain

3] personal sanctification issues....spiritual mindedness....redeeming the time, godly service....responsibilites to members of the church,

4] still learning in Hebrews....it speaks so much of our Lord.

#32 Iconoclast, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2012
  13. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Believe that a good answer to this would be to seperate christian doctrines into the cire essentials, those which ALL of us MUST adhere to...

Such as the Bible/Christ death/cross/sin/nature God/second coming /baptism etc

We MUST adhere and agree on those core to christianity doctrines but go to secondary and can freely disagree on just HOW it happens!

Must hold to salvation grcae/faith alone can disagree cal/Arm
    Must hold to second coming Disagree timing aspects/Dispy Covt etc!
    must agree water baptism Disagree Modes

Some of those secondary understandings make us baptist or not!

than are secondaru issues such as timing of coming/modes of baptism etc!

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

James 1:22 is a good starter, "But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves."

Apparent knowledge does not equate with knowing God. I find those who know God have more knowledge than those who only know about God. I am convinced that the average person in church knows God mostly by what others say and knows little about God because he does not read and study his Bible. For example we would not see Mormons coming from Christian denominations if the people knew their Bible.