1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Norlie’s Simplified New Testament

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Craigbythesea, Oct 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Have any of you read, Norlie’s Simplified New Testament in Plain English—For Today’s Reader? Translated by Olaf M. Norlie, Ph.D., S.T.D., Litt.D. Published by Zondervan Publishing House, 1961.

If you are KJV Only, PLEASE do NOT post in this thread!

[​IMG]

2. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Sorry...

3. HanSola2000

HanSola2000 Guest

Yeah, and have you like, seen the Starkist Charlie's Tuna Simplified New Testament? It comes in Spring Water or vegetable oil.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Although members cannot be prohibited from posting in a thread, common courtesy dictates that members accede to an author's request.

5. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

I havent even heard of it b4 this thread.

I would think that since it has been around 40 years, if it was any good at all I would have heard of it by now.

DO I assume correctly?

6. tenor

tenor New Member

I'm not familiar with this. Never heard of it before today.

Tim

7. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I thought the name Norlie rang a bell...

Having never read any of the titles mentioned above, I can make no further comments about Norlie's work...

Do you have a copy,Craig? If so, what do you think about it?

8. Craigbythesea

I found the following information about Norlie's Simplified New Testament on the Internet:

It is a translation from the original Greek designed to make the language of the New Testament more interesting and intelligible. The translator was Olaf M. Norlie, a professor having three doctorates and on the staff of a college in Minnesota. Particular attention was given to make this translation readable, while at the same time making it meaningful.

It tries to make use of the simpler words, wherever there is a choice. It shortens the sentences, wherever possible. It omits the solemn style. It capitalizes all the names and pronouns referring to Diety. It retains the versification of the Authorized Bible, without allowing these verse numbers to be obtrusive. It groups the verses according to content, with subject headings supplied for each portion, for convenience in reading and study.

Included with this New Testament is The Psalms for Today, translated by Roland Kenneth Harrison, of the University of Toronto. The translation is an attempt to convey thought-forms and sentiments of the ancient Hebrew Psalmists in a more modern style than is generally found in English versions of The Psalms. This is a retranslation from the Massoretic text. Particular attention was paid to the archaeological discoveries at Ras Shamra (Ugarit), which have thrown considerable light on hitherto obscure expressions and allusions. There were efforts to replace the anthromorphisms, an integral part of earlier translations, with synonymous expressions. An attempt was made to preserve the poetic structure without following the Hebrew rhythmic and parallel forms too closely. The Tetragrammaton is generally rendered the Lord.
    Zondervan (1961)

Sample Text:
    John 1: 1 - 3
    The Word was in the beginning; the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. All things were made by Him and nothing that was made came into being without Him.

Comparisons which include this version:
    Bishops, Overseers, Presbyters, and Elders
    Commandments or Clean Robes?
    Entering His Rest
    God So Loved the World
    Hebrew Poetry in the Bible
    Jude's Advice About Saving People
    Let No Man Judge You
    The Lord Is My Shepherd: An Anthology
    The Lord's Day in the Book of Revelation
    Passover and the Days of Unleavened Bread
    A Reference to the Trinity
    Sabbaths and Sundown
    Scripture Inspired by God
    Those Who Work Iniquity
    Words with Heathen Origins in the Scriptures

[​IMG]

9. Craigbythesea

Keith M wrote,

Yes, I do own a copy of it. I purchased it this past Wednesday for $.50 in a thrift store—a hardcover copy in excellent condition with the dust jacket still intact! I have not yet had an opportunity to carefully read through it, but the cursory reading of it that I have done shows me that it is very much better than most other easier to read translations. It was published within a year or two of several other translations and revisions, and it apparently fell through the cracks. Had Zondervan spent the millions of dollars advertising it that they did on the NIV, Norlie’s Simplified New Testament would probably be much better known today. And, of course, the very large majority of Christians prefer to use a whole Bible rather than a separate New Testament.

[​IMG]

10. Craigbythesea

Here is a little information about Olaf M. Norlie:

1962 Olaf Morgan Norlie, Lutheran professor and historian, died (b. 11 January 1876). He was educated at Saint Olaf College (Northfield, Minnesota), the Milwaukee (Wisconsin) State Normal, the University of Wisconsin (Madison), the United Norwegian Lutheran Church Seminary (Saint Paul, Minnesota) and the University of Minnesota (Minneapolis). He was a professor at Luther College (Decorah, Iowa) from 1919 to 1928 and 1933 to 1941 and at Hartwick College (Oneonta, New York) from 1928 to 1932. He was dean of the graduate school at Hartwick Seminary (New York City) from 1932 to 1933. He codified _The Evangelical Lutheran Church History_, 1951-1954, and was also church statistician. He edited _The Translated Bible 1534-1934_. Other works include _The Academy for Princes_, _An Elementary Christian Psychology_, _The Bible in a Thousand Tongues_ and _Simplified New Testament_.

Source: Today in History (for the date June 22) http://chi.lcms.org/history/tih0622.htm

Olaf Norlie died June 22, 1962.

[​IMG]

11. Keith M

Keith M New Member

How does Norlie handle Matthew 1:23? Was Jesus born of a virgin or a "young woman?" Just curious...

12. Craigbythesea

"The virgin shall be with child...."

His subject heading for vv. 18-24 is “The Virgin Birth.”

[​IMG]

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just picked this translation up on Saturday . It was only $2.00 . There was a stack of them . I am kind of impressed with it . Norlie for the NT and Harrison for the OT . I haven't dug deep enough for more than my initial pleasure at finding it to be good , faithful and very readable . It did slip through the cracks . I had never heard of it before I saw it . I never even noticed this thread before . I will compare Norlie's NT with my Phillips . What a find !

BTW , what is the record here for reviving old threads ? I am responding to a post that was made more than 6 months ago .

14. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I'm going to have to add this NT to my "To Purchase" list. Later this month I'm purchasing Phillips NT, and the Living Bible.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Instead of the Living Bible , you should get the NLT . There is a world of difference despite its parentage .

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do like Norlie . It was initially published in the early 50's . So , even though it supposed to use simple words -- the literacy rate had to be higher then . I like the style , but it can't be confused with the NIrV . His translation and wordsmanship remind me of Phillips . But Norlie's translation is more along formal equivalence lines .

Gal.1:6 -- I am dumbfounded that you have so quickly deserted Him who called you into the grace of Christ , and have gone over to a different " gospel ."

Heb. 12:1 -- We are , then , figuratively encircled by a great crowd of witnesses ...

2 Pe. 2:18 -- They speak their folly in pompous oratory . They allure men by using sensual cravings and the promise of liberty as bait; they get into their power those who have newly escaped from error .

There is a typo in Ro. 9:22 -- At times , God is willing to show His wrath and make His power known , yet He endures long and patiently with the objects of wrath who are fit for description .

17. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I already have a NLT First Edition NT so I really want to get the 2nd edition in the whole Bible.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay , but it is not called The Living Bible .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.