1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Norm Geisler teaches Pelagianism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which council of Calvinism declared the charge of semipelagianism could be used to slander any and all non-Calvinists, such as Dr. Geisler?

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ohhhhhh Boy:(

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If God's grace of illumination comes before men of flesh respond in faith, why would a Calvinist make a charge of semi-pelagianism except for the purpose of slander?

Still waiting for the quote where Geisler says man can redeem himself. Perhaps like the King's Speech, we may have to wait a long time. :)

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I've never been a fan of David Jeremiah. His affiliation with TBN is telltale.

The Spirit is tantamount in salvation and it is He who initiates the process and quickens. Free will is a misnomer and has caused much trouble in 'the church' as freewill has absolutely nothing to do with soteriology. All glory is to God in salvation.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen:applause:

6. preacher4truth

And there is much of your theological demise in a nutshell.

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

8. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh looks like what he writes on p.193 in response to Acts 16:14 means that he is not what I claimed he was, so I was mistaken. Geisler thinks that the Holy Spirit convicts the entire world of sin, and this is true, however it is also true that only the elect will respond to the call to salvation and this Geisler does not agree. I am not sure if he read the passage because it says that the LORD opened her heart which indicates God changed her heart as she is of the elect.

9. quantumfaith

So does this mean he, in your estimation is not now a SP, but simply has a different understanding of election than you?

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You cant just take one instance in 2012 and say that he constantly fellowships with TBN as he does not, nor does he preach a prosperity or health and wealth message. Granted I am not sure why David went on TBN with Paul Crouch but he simply made a mistake as we all do.

If you doubt what he teaches then I suggest you read his book I Never thought I'd see the day. He in no way preaches a prosperity gospel message that you may claim. If you have any hard evidence of David preaching a WOF type of message then please post it.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.... indeed I was wrong.

12. quantumfaith

That is quite "big" of you. Thanks for your honesty.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I truly fail to understand why any of this matters. In the street, in your work environment, amongst your family, you areto try to emulate Christ in your behavior & when you teach, its that Jesus saves. Now I happen to believe that the Holy Spirit has much to do with the transformation process---more than many care to admit but does that make me a believer in extra biblical teachings by men with opinions...nope. I'm keeping my nose in the Bible and my faith in the HS to guide me...everything else is just conversation.

14. preacher4truth

Sure I can. I can get a whole lot out of his one visit and endoresement of TBN and Crouch. But the thing is I never stated 'constantly'. Those are your words and you taking this to the extreme.

Why would I read one of his books when I don't care for his preaching?

By the way I haven't made claim that he preaches a prosperity Gospel. I do know that he has plagiarized though -- when I saw that I lost much respect for him.

I am not enthralled with his teaching, sorry to you, but I just don't get into him. Perhaps it's his past ties to IFB, I don't know (something I found out about him later). Nothing against him as a person, I just don't get into his preaching although I do happen to listen to him almost daily. I know you're a huge fan of his and that is great but not everyone is as big a fan.

#54 preacher4truth, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
  15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you feel he is a false teacher?

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Per Theopedia:
    "He rejects the classical Calvinist tenets of unconditional election, limited atonement and irresistible grace, yet retains modified versions of total depravity and perseverance of the saints. "

So he would indeed fit a semi pel view!

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if he ever declaired his stance in total. Personally have stayed away from him sencing his demeanor.

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You guys need to make up your minds. Either the opposite of being a cal is arminian or pelagian. It cant be both. Or how about stop trying to define everyone by your personal system of theology and avoid all the confusion altogether.

#58 Revmitchell, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
  19. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You have no clue what you're talking about.

Just because someone disagrees with the 5 points of Calvinism doesn't make them a semipelagian by default. If you believe that it does you are wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

There are more options than Calvinism or Arminianism.

20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    he seems to hold to a view that makes it that we still have a aprt in our salvation, that we in the ultimate sense do make the decision to accept/reject jesus, so yes, semi pel!