1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

North American Mission Board planning 2010 GPS National Media Buy

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Feb 3, 2009.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Posted on Feb 3, 2009 | by Mike Ebert

ALPHARETTA, Ga. (BP)--The North American Mission Board plans to invest up to $1.2 million in 2010 on a strategic national media buy during that year's implementation of the Southern Baptist Convention-wide evangelism emphasis, God's Plan for Sharing (GPS).

The media buys will include television, radio, newspapers and Internet and will be coordinated with state convention partners in order to ensure that the most effective approach is used in each region. NAMB will coordinate the buys through a single source, produce the media pieces and make them available free of charge to state convention partners that choose to participate in GPS.

"This is a key step in launching an initiative that I pray will help bring evangelism back to the forefront of every Southern Baptist believer and every Southern Baptist church," said Geoff Hammond, NAMB's president. "From the beginning, we have determined to make GPS flexible and we have walked with our partners each step of the way. We will do that in our approach to these media buys as well."

As state conventions commit to participating in GPS, NAMB will work closely with Southern Baptist state convention leaders in those states to strategize the best media approach for that state. States able to contribute more funding to the effort will be encouraged to do so.

Th erst of the story is at http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=29793

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe we could ask them to stop and use the money for church revitalization. What a sad waste of God's resources.

3. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Not sure what you mean by church revitalization, but if you want people to use your brand they have to first be aware of it and second they must want it. If people don't use your brand, i.e., join your church, you will go out of business. There is no better way to reach so many people with your message than by advertising. The Mormans have been enormously successful with their advertising campaigns and the Catholics have their own satellite station (EWTN) broadcasting 24/7. Advertising is why Budweiser and Coca-Cola are number one in their respective fields. I say it's time we get out there and saturate the market with these ads and people who see them will start coming to our SBC churches. If only one out of 1,000 who is reached by this campaign joins a SBC church, we could see an increase of over 100,000 new members.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What did Jesus do when he evangelized and made disciples?

5. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

He used disciples, He used boats to speak to large groups, He even used Mountains to speak to very large groups. If TV were available I am thinking He would have used it as well.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Evangelism is initially reaching people but leaving them there is like leaving a baby to live without any help. Discipleship is helping peoiple to grow in such as way that they can reporoduce themselves in the lives of others. Only Americans would think of mass advertising. Evangelism adds while discipleship multiplies. If one person were discipled one person every two years, and each person they reached was discipled and discipled someone every two years and the person were 22 years old when he began making disciples that by the time the person was 72 that person will have reached 33,554,432 people. Nobody doing just evangelism could reach that many.

What the Church needs to-day is not more machinery or better, not new organizations or more and novel methods, but men whom the Holy Ghost can use -- men of prayer, men mighty in prayer. The Holy Ghost does not flow through methods, but through men. He does not come on machinery, but on men. He does not anoint plans, but men -- men of prayer. --E.M. Bounds

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

We see commercials for churches on tv all the time, nothing wrong with that.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You would be shocked if you knew how much they spend each year.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

So?
    Many are advertising the need of salvation, the need of a church home and family, a place to worship and serve. Some advertise ministries or ministry events, again a draw for the saved and unsaved a like, the churched and unchurched.
    And the problem with reaching people is?

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The problem is he is an SBC hater and look for any opportunity to bash them.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

You are right, his hate has been obvious.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Advertising may get their attention but it is the people and their ability to love that will keep them. We are not Christinas otday because of Jesus advertisjkng the gospel but by making disciples and his disciples makingh disciples. If public advertising were so effective then why is the church growing the fastest in areas of the world with the most persecutuion?

If a Christian discipled one every two years from the time they were 22 until 72 and each person they discipled reproduced themselves in the lives of another that person will have reached 33,554,432 people. Jesus said ot make disciples not make just advertise and make converts. It is the lazy man's way to spend money but noit get involved in the lives of others.

Recently in the town I live in the SBC did a lot of adversting and was unable to start a church while some other churches are growing.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes of course.:rolleyes:

14. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I mean using the resources to help strengthen and renew faithful churches that have served our convention for years but have plateued over the last decade.

Imagine the real Kingdom growth if our grassroots churches saw a tremendous move of God and were sent out into their communities to relationally communicate the Gospel to those they live with.

Yeah but the SBC isn't a meaningful brand. This isn't about expanding the brand either.

Completely different brand recognition. The SBC isn't a tenable brand for this kind of market saturation.

Do you really believe this is what is going happen? 100,000 new members. Really. Most churches in the SBC couldn't get 10. Sorta seems out of the range of reality imho.

This is an evangelism campaign. What are we going to do, present the Romans Road in 30 seconds or less and give them a help line number? Is that the kind of meaningful evangelism that NAMB is chartered with?

I just disagree this is a good idea.

15. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Well I respectfully disagree. Jesus stood on the side of hills and mountains to be able to be seen by the masses.

I really don't know how Christ would have responded to the media saturated culture we live in. If He did use it, I would expect it to look more like Bob Ross than Joel Osteen.

16. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Yeah but do we really expect the Gospel to be meaningfully presented via media in 30 seconds that will create real life changed disciples?

My point is that I just think we can spend this amazing amount of money so much better than this plan.

I don't have a problem using innovative means to communicate the Gospel, what I have a problem with is that this is going stink (because of denominational hierarchy issues) and there are better ways to reach people.

Just my opinion. :thumbs:

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If some of the high paid executives living in their mansions were to sell them and live like the rest of the people they claim to be trying to reach they might realize what it is like to talk with normal people and what it really takes to reach them.

Reaching people requires work and that takes people who are not afraid to get their hands dirty.

#17 gb93433, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
  18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And who are these execs?

19. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Maybe. Churches plateau for various reasons. Some would be helped and others would not. But should we as churches accept SBC money and aid. They are no different from the government or any other entity that furnishes money for a good cause. When their money starts going in, so does their control. Before too long the term "Baptist Vatican" will be more than just a euphemism.

20. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Pay attention to one of those Mormon ads the next time you see one. They certainly regard themselves as a tenable brand for market saturation and they are growing several times faster than Baptists. True, they send out missionaries into our American communities but they back them up with a lot of media output.