1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

North Central Tn. Baptist History

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Bartimaeus, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

I had a Great-Great Grandfather, Jessie Mack Perdue Born 1859, Died 1940, who was a General Baptist Circuit Rider. Does anyone have info on Tn. Baptist History that might help me learn something about him? He lived in Macon Co. My granddaddy was with him at 5 yrs old and remembers sitting on the front row of some of his meeting and eating chicken dinners in the homes of some of the folks. We have a picture of him and his wife and he is holding his Bible on his knee so everyone can see it. He was shot and killed by a diranged man at a griss mill. The man accused my granddad of crossing his land on the preaching circuit. He died while conducting his ministry. Any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks -----Bart

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bartimaeus, I have a few resources on Tennessee Baptist history, though I am not too sure that there will be much on the General Baptists. I will try to remember to check when I get home this evening. If you don't hear from me in a day or two, send me a private message to remind me.

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry to say that I didn't find anything in my limited resources. You might try historical records at the Missionary Baptist Seminary in Little Rock, or check at the General Baptist headquarters in Poplar Bluff. I'm not that familiar with northeast Arkansas. There might be some college, university, seminary, etc. that has good historical records. You also might be able to put a query on the Macon County GenWeb. Hope you find what you're looking for.

4. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Thanks for the help ------Bart