1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

North Texas Seminaries

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by ShotGunWillie, Jul 16, 2007.

1. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

What Theological Seminary or University in North would be considered conservative, fundamentalist, and biblically sound?

I was looking at Criswell College, Tyndale, Dallas Theological, and Southwestern Baptist. I don't know much about any of the institutions, that would be why I am asking.

I have 91 college hours I need to transfer. I considered going to UNT or the like, but decided I would transfer them (if they take them) to a bible teaching school, which in turn would allow me to earn a BA or BS.

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Is Arlington Baptist College on your list? That is a very conservative school that was founded by J Frank Norris (I think this is it, they seem to have changed their name a bit.) You can read about them at: http://www.abconline.edu/

I'm not sure what you mean by fundamentalist. If you mean that the only version of the Bible they use is KJV, than none of these will work. If you mean they have a particular dress code (ties and dresses) than I'm pretty sure all of these are off the list too. If you mean strict biblicist, than you're in the right ballpark with all them.

I'd suggest checking out DTS before you check any other school. DTS is the best seminary in the ones above you have listed. Completely worth it. DTS is dispensational (which usually goes hand-in-hand with fundamentalism) and deeply committed to a high read of Scripture. They have a world class staff and would supremely invest in your ministry opportunities post graduation.

Now if you need to finish your undergrad before graduate work, Southwestern might be your best bet. I graduated from there during the change in regimes and they have developed an undergrad institution (which they shouldn't have imho...but it is somewhere you can at least finish.) Drs. Patterson are some of the most conservative (bordering on fundamentalist) leaders in the SBC. You won't be taught anything but strict biblicism.

Criswell is okay, but teetering on the brink of issues with their accreditation. They've got a good faculty but it probably isn't a good place right now imho. I'd seriously check out DTS or SWBTS.

I'd stay far away from Tyndale. As far as I know it's unaccreditted and not worthy of your money. (I'll get slammed for that but I stand by it.) They've got lots of issues in regards to finances (particularly since they were fined $173k for giving out unlicensed degrees) and aren't regarded well by churches that would consider you. The wikipedia article is pretty good about this stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyndale_Theological_Seminary

Southwestern might be your best bet than. Personally I'd finish at a secular university before going to a seminary for the exposure to outside opinions and thoughts. Of course you'll get most of that at SWBTS and DTS with proper critiques of all points brought.

Your best bet might be to finish at the College of Southwestern and then go to DTS for your ThM. That would be crazy good stuff.

Remember this is your money so be a good steward of it and invest it in the right education for you. What you do in this time will indeed affect you ten, fifteen, twenty, thirty years down the road. :)

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

This thread really ought to be in the 'Baptist Colleges/ Seminaries' forum, or at least somewhere else, IMO. But given what would happen to it in the "Other Christain Denominations", I'd prefer it to say right here.

And although I could be considered somewhat of a 'fan' I guess of both Dallas and Southwestern, I do wonder how you differentiate between two of the top seminaries anywhere, with both having to be rated, if not in the top five, easily in the "Top Ten", among 'conservative' schools?

Ed

#3 EdSutton, Jul 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  4. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As for exegeting the word of God, DTS is second to none. Their grads have a noticable level of competency that is outstanding.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is probably a fair assessment and rather good insight. I would say that SWBTS has fallen out of my top five and is linger close to the bottom of the top ten in the US...probably has something to do with my experiences there and the politics at play.

DTS is world class. Also their endowment is the strongest of the evangelical, conservatie seminaries in the US. You'll actually have more of a shot at great scholarships at DTS than anywhere else. Particularly in the Dallas-Fort Worth area DTS is gaining more influence with churches where you might want to be involved with for ministry. Overall DTS seems to be better positioned to connect you with a multiplicity of churches which will broaden your ministry experience than SWBTS.

Between the two, staffing, opportunity, respectibility, and funding I still suggest DTS is ahead of SWBTS by a good stretch...but that is just my take on the situation. :)

6. greek geek

greek geek New Member

DTS. I graduated there with a ThM and plan on going back there for a PhD. It is a great school. The profs are awesome. Very sound Biblically. Conservative. I'm not sure what you mean by fundamental - so I can't comment on that aspect.
    They have several different degree plans. BUT they don't do bachelor degrees. You will need to get that somewhere else.

As for the other schools you mentioned I can only comment on Criswell and SWBTS. Criswell has some good teachers - but as someone else posted they are having issues with the accredidation board. I've also heard of other things going on that give me pause for concern.

As for SWBTS. I know they have good profs. For me personally though, I choose to stay away from that school because I choose to avoid the mess that is baptist politics. And I'm not too fond of the stance they've taken with women. I think its insulting.

One more good thing about DTS - since it's not Baptist you get an all around solid education that doesn't push the Baptist way on you. Most of my profs were baptist (more than 50% of the ones I had) and there are a lot of baptist students. Hearing an honest appraisal of all denominational views on various theological issues really helped me solidify why I am baptist and to have a greater respect for the various denominations.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'd check SWBTS. I wouldn't hesitate. Much more reasonable tuition and comparable faculty with DTS. Of course, you'd be better off at SBTS in Louisville or SEBTS in North Carolina :thumbs:

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

A Regional thinking??

Pun intended! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

9. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

YOu will also have to check out BH Carroll Theological INstitute after you get your undergrad degree. They have one of the most interesting models in theological education employing teaching churches (currently most of the big cities in TX have at least one teaching church) and the internet.

The proffs are mostly ex SWBTS, and are good conservative men and women. I have heard that Karen Bullock is leaving Dallas Baptist University and going to BH Carroll to teach church history (at least she is on the schedule for the next term)

http://bhcti.org/

#9 Jimmy C, Jul 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2007