1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Not exactly new

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rlvaughn, Jun 15, 2016.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...but I have not been posting here regularly for quite some time (though I did come by to read the Baptist History forum). So I thought I would reintroduce myself. I am pastor of Old Prospect, a rural Baptist Church that meets near Mt. Enterprise, Texas. My wife and I have two adult children and two grandchildren. I was ordained to the ministry in 1983, am a tent-making minister and work in the education industry. In addition to family, church and work, I am active in Sacred Harp singing and write songs in this style. I am the former editor of a Baptist newsletter styled The Baptist Waymark and a founding editor of The Trumpet (a music periodical). I have a blog called Ministry and Music - Seeking the Old Paths, and try to keep posts up there regularly. Biggest interests (Baptist Board wise) are History, Theology and Music.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome back, Robert. We missed you.

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome back Brother Vaughn I didn't know you were a sacred harp singer... I do love sacred harp music... Can't sing of lick of it but I love hearing those who can... Fasola!... Brother Glen

4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, guys. I'll try to be a little more regular than I have been in the past.

Brother Glen, yes, Sacred Harp is one of my great loves! My family has been singing it from at least 5 generations back -- and we're trying to keep it going forward. Hoping to "infect" the grandchildren next.

5. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a side note I'll call you Elder Vaughn since you are a preacher... In all of your travels have you ever met these two men... They were also well known song leaders and teachers... Sonny Lowrance and a Paul Drummond... Attended a singing school by Sonny and knew Paul by his history of Hymnology though I know he is gone now... Just wondering... Brother Glen

6. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, that's fine. I answer to elder, Robert, Daddy, PawPaw and a number of other things!

I didn't know Brother Drummond, but have his book which I have enjoyed immensely. I corresponded with him a few times regarding historical information where Primitive Baptist hymn singing and Sacred Harp intersected. I think I met Brother Sonny once, but it may have been someone else in the Lowrance family. My memory slips out of joint sometimes! His fine reputation in music proceeds him everywhere he goes.

7. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You just peaked my curiosity!... Did you ever find out where Primitive Baptist hymn singing and Sacred Harp intersected?... If you have maybe you can share that information in the Music Ministry Forum... I don't read music but in my over 50 years in the church probably since the age of six standing next to my Daddy I learned the Songs Of Zion by the rote method and led them the same way over the years in the key of me!... Brother Glen

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We sent our two very young daughters to hymn and Sacred Harp classes at the Cincinatti Church (Elder Laseare Bradley) many years ago to which they're thankful for to this day. They are both talented singers and harmonize like angels together.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I have heard of Elder Bradley and know he put out a church paper... I remember reading it but can't recall what it was Baptist Witness?... Anyway I know the one Dad subscribe to was The Banner Of Love out of Texas... I don't recall if Sacred Harp was ever in California... It wasn't to my knowledge as it seemed to be prevalent in Texas and those parts and the Eastern states... I know our song book at one time was The Good Old Songs by Elder Cayce and the Black brethren we met with at times used Goble... We used if I recall Old School Hymnal 8, 9, and 10 which I have... Brother Glen

10. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Glen, there were some specific things that Brother Drummond mentioned that he helped me find -- like some letters to Elder Cayce's paper from a Sacred Harp singing in Texas, and replies by Elder M. W. Miracle -- who was a Sacred Harp singer and Primitive Baptist elder and edited the "Good Old Songs Department" in Elder Cayce's paper.

Elder Cayce's song book the Good Old Songs is fine example of how Sacred Harp and Primitive Baptist hymn singing intersect. They have so many tunes in common, and Elder Cayce liked the old time dispersed harmonies of the Sacred Harp style. The Old School Hymnal is a good book, but there are reharmonizations that move away from the old dispersed harmony toward more modern ideas of close harmony and part writing. There is Sacred Harp singing in California, but it is my understanding that most of the conventions are not closely connected to any Primitive Baptist churches like they often are here in the South. (Saying that, understand that singing conventions all have their own organization and officers apart from the church, so the relation is more of a symbiotic one.)

kyredneck, glad to hear of your daughters' good singing experience in the Cincinnati Church. I've met Elder Bradley and heard him preach. The Tyler Church here in Tyler, Texas sponsors him on a local radio station, and have had him there as a visiting preacher.

11. MsGuidedAngel

MsGuidedAngel Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Warm Welcome Back Brother in Christ Jesus ( Yeshua ) Robert!!

Love Always and Shalom ( Peace ) YSIC \o/

Kristi Ann

12. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, MsGuided.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MsGuidedAngel

MsGuidedAngel Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ye are very Welcome Brother in Christ Jesus ( Yeshua ) Robert!!

Love Always and Shalom, YSIC \o/

Kristi Ann
    aka
    MsGuidedAngel