1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Not sure where to post this--Calvinism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by abcgrad94, Jul 20, 2011.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. Keep it confined to one particular area!

2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't matter which "side" one is on, the topic seems to be taking over the board. I'd like to see us discuss other subject without Calvinism getting brought up everywhere. It's a very dividing issue and things have been said on both sides that cause hurt feelings. So, some of us would rather not participate if we feel the subject is going to be brought up and injected into every thread and conversation.

I think at the least, the topic should be kept in the theology forum. That way the rest of us won't get any "surprises" while participating in other threads. And, those posters who seem to want to argue Calvinism until Christ's return can do so freely.

3. mandym

mandym New Member

Largely because someone keeps posting thread after thread on it.

4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

maybe because it is so vital!
    IF one holds to a "faulty" view on Sotierology, that can affect entire theological understanding...

NOT saying which view on this is 'correct" just that it is important to discuss among the bethren!

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And all of the "discussions" have produced what?

We are more understanding of each person's position?
    We are more loving in our honest debate?
    Do we really see each other as brethren?

The only things it has produced is anger and people leaving or posting less on here. Both sides (me included) are responsible.

6. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I agree with you, Tom.

7. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

How about we relegate all posts about censorship and banning certain topics to their own forum?

How hard is it to scroll past one topic to click on one you are interested? Seriously, is it that big of deal? I scroll past eschatology posts all the time because that is not a real interest to me.

Now, if a topic is changed from the OP, it can be reported or the author can politely request the poster to remain on topic. I do agree that could get annoying, but there is already a rule against that and the means to correct it.

And yes, I vote for TP from the TOP!!! Someone tell my wife!!! :)

8. Skandelon

I was here back in the day when the separate Cal/Arm forum was here. It was very active but the other general theology board was dead.

I believe that is why they merged them. Believe it or not, but when you visit a board and there are rarely any new posts you stop visiting and eventually the board dies. Like it or not, but people engage more regularly on hot button topics, especially in a "DEBATE" forum.

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a big deal when the "certain topic" has multiple threads for the same conversation and when the debates are CONTINUALLY not edifying, but a discouragement to others. The C/A debates CONTINUALLY get overheated to the point they affect other parts of the board and people who don't even participate in them.

Yes, I think it's a big deal when the unkindness and constant hammering of it turns away good posters, leaving the board full of the ones who just want to bicker over this issue. It changes the whole tone of the board. Is fighting over Calvinism really making us better Christians? Is it attracting newcomers? Is it running off the older posters? Is it worth it to keep debating the same old horse, knowing nothing will be accomplished but hard feelings and driving people away?

10. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Exactly.

On the new posts page, or todays posts page, you see all different froums and materials written on all the allowable topics, and then even a forum for "all other discussions."

So, even if "Calvinists" were banished by a predestinated decree, via election to their own topical forum, guess what? That's right, you'd still see them when you look at these two pages. :eek:

I skip past the ones I don't have an interest in, and basically abcgrad is telling us not to tell him to skip those, which is like saying "don't tell me to do the logical option, because that's too easy!"

To those who won't post here because they just don't like it here, hey, that's your decision, no one forced you, no ones fault but your own. :)

This reminds me of "I'm gonna take my marbles and go home!" :laugh:

- Peace

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

For me the issue is someone asking a question on an unrelated thread, getting an answer...then starting an entire new thread asking the same question that was already answered on the unrelated thread.

The answer is not going to change just because it has it's own thread :)

I vote TP from the bottom...and anyone disagreeing is wrong :D

12. Skandelon

:BangHead: What!?! THE BOTTOM!!! You have to bend down and fish for it under there!!! :BangHead:

When its on top its right there for easy access!!! I've lost all respect for you, Webdog!!! :laugh:

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Bend down and fish for it?!? How high is your toilet?!? :laugh:
    Well, you don't have to hold the roll as hard when it comes from the bottom, meaning repairs due to it being ripped out of the wall from your 3 year old daughter happen less frequently :)

14. Skandelon

So you have to move your fingers to scroll another couple of inches to find the next thread, or click a button to start your own? I'm not trying to be mean, I just honestly don't understand the issue. Just don't open the thread, or you even have the option to put contentious posters on ignore. What more is needed?

I'm not convinced this is happening. There are dozens of forums for which people can engage all types of topics. I just can't imagine people leaving the whole board solely because the theology section has a particular topic that keeps coming up. Especially considering that you do have the ignore function and the ability to skip threads you don't want to read.

Do you mean, is debating points of disagreement on a Christian debate forum good? Sounds like your are struggling with the overall purpose of this board, not just one particular topic.

Yes.

Maybe, but not because they don't have other options.

Again, this argument would apply to any topic, not just the cal/arm one.

15. Skandelon

Well, I'm 6'4, so maybe I'm biased in that area.

Oh, is that why both the bathrooms my kids use have missing holders? Hmmm, could I have been wrong all these years?

Dang it, first Calvinism and now this!!!!:smilewinkgrin:

16. Skandelon

Finally, something we agree about. :smilewinkgrin:

Maybe I need to rethink my position? :tongue3:

17. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant was that non-Calvinists also post messages, and even start threads, about this. It is not something that only those with calvinistic beliefs do, as seems to be implied on this thread.

As far as having a separate forum is concerned, that would perhaps be fine for threads started specifically to debate those issues are concerned. For instance, if someone started a thread with a title like: "Calvinism and non-Calvinism compared", or "What Calvinists Really Believe", those threads could go in a separate forum.

But our calvinistic or non-calvinistic beliefs is often apparent from what we write in threads that are not directly "Cal-nonCal" in nature. So would that mean that we are not permitted to post what we really believe on such threads?

Baptists differ on all sorts of things - eschatology is one that often comes up. Some of us are amillenial, some pre-, and some post-. So do we start yet another forum, this time for any threads on eschatology?

18. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, it reminds me of the sword fights in Errol Flynn's movies. The big tough guys want to fight, but it's not enough just to clash swords. They have to destroy the whole castle in the process. Tables and chairs get knocked over, candle stands thrown around, people are flying off the balconies and banisters and swinging from the tapestries and banners.

I'm just one of the ladies in waiting who wants it confined in one general area without making a mess everywhere. You don't have to stop fighting altogether.

Calvinism is a theology issue. Why can't it just be kept in the theological debate section so there are no surprises popping up in other places?

As for TP, off the top is always correct unless you have toddlers at home. In that case, it must be from the bottom so they won't unroll the whole roll when parents aren't looking.

19. Skandelon

Yet, even there we have posters continually interrupting to say the same thing as this OP.

How about we create a separate forum for everyone here who believes that certain appropriate topics should be off limits so they won't keep surprising us with these types of posts? That way if we want to hear their complants we can visit them in their forum? :laugh:

20. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. I guess this is what happens when you try to get between two dogs arguing over the same bone.:tonofbricks:

I will now go up to the tallest tower in the castle and re-arrange the toilet paper.