1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Not taking communion

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, May 31, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Suppose during a communion service - you notice a member who chooses not to partake.

Would you see that as time to council that particular church member?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a lay person, I would not take "that time" as you say to counsel just anyone who passed on taking communion. That's too personal to just go walking over to someone during the communion service and ask probing questions.

But, if I had an open and close relationship with him/her and I knew that he/she were going through some issues, then I might approach that person after the service or that afternoon via the phone and talk to that person about why he/she did not take communion. That is, if we had a history of intimate spiritual chats.

True story: Because I'm at the piano during the observance of the Lord's Supper, many times the men forget me and I do not get to partake. If I know we are observing the Lord's Supper at a particular service, I go to the head guy before the service starts and say, "Hey, don't forget me at the piano."

Once, when forgotten, a close and dear friend came to me after the service with tears in her eyes and said, "I watched you sit there - not partaking of communion today - and I'm grieved over it. Do you need some pray or to talk"

I laughed and said, "Thank you so much, but I was just forgotten again by the guys passing out the elements." :flower:

3. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

No, every individual person is supposed to examine themselves, not to be examined by you.

#3 salzer mtn, May 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2013
  4. salzer mtn

When we take the communion service the piano player takes her seat with the other ladies and everyone sings acappella.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, why not?
    Second, Scarlett, had the right thinking- ... as a layman...
    So Sal -
    1. should the preacher say anything?
    2. Was Scarlett's friend wrong speaking to her?

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

There is no singing during our passing out of the elements and partaking of the Lord's Supper, but our pastor likes contemplative music being played.

7. salzer mtn

What I meant was I would not go to a person while the communion service is going on and start asking them a lot of questions. Also a person needs to be carful when digging into other peoples lives, they may tell you it is none of your business.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry about the confusion - I did not mean to go over at that precise moment - but at a later time - possibly even when the service was over.
    Scarlet metioned "if I had an open and close relationship with her " - that would be excellent.

Actually, I was thinking more of the pastor or an elder speaking to the individual.

9. awaken

awaken Active Member

I would not...UNLESS God convicted me too!
    I have not taken communion at least twice in my life! No one came to me...I believe it is between you and God. If I needed help I would approach my pastor!
    But I would pray for that person!

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But should the pastor speak to the person?

11. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Amen!!!! MYOB business perhaps? :thumbsup:

If the person seeks help then they can receive help. Thankfully if this happens (not partaking) the person is sensitive and aware of his or her current spiritual state.

Why not simply pray for them? You don't need to know their 'why' business to pray for them.

As to the response of 'Why not?' confront them, there is no place in 1 Cor. 11 for one to go examine any other person than themselves. :love2:

12. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is NO ONE's business when someone does not take communion.

This is a holy time between the Creator and His Creation. Folks shouldn't be looking around and judging others over participation or who should and shouldn't partake.

That is being a busy body.

It is NO business of ANYONE in the assembly.

Butt out!!!!!!!

If I had someone come up to me - however well intentioned - and question why I did or didn't take communion, it would pretty much end the friendship.

How DARE anyone tread upon this holy occasion with their humanistic emotional driven judging of "OH MY, ...... didn't take communion! I have just got to find out the behind the rest of the story information so I can truly be in the know."

Word fail me at this point that some feel so self righteous that they can actually stand in for Christ!!!

13. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My very close friend - like a sister - was not being a busybody. She genuinely thought something was wrong and was genuinely grieved.

IF I were not partaking because I felt unworthy at that moment to do so, I would have just told her to pray for me.

I do agree that it pretty much should be left alone.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Honestly, if the person is not taking communion, they know that something is going on in their life and they are more than likely working on it themselves. If they wish for help, they will let the appropriate people know. I wouldn't approach them nor would my husband. During communion, I'm not watching to see who took communion anyway because I'm focused on the Lord and MY relationship with Him.

15. Matt22:37-39

Matt22:37-39 New Member

I haven't taken communion before and if you pulled me aside I would tell you why and it won't be for the reason you think

1 Cor 11 talks about taking communion, not only how, but why. It talks about doing it in a worthy manner and if one takes communion in an "UNWORTHY" manner, God will not be pleased and you could actually die. Basically what it is saying is that if you have OUGHT with a brother or sister in Christ or anyone for that matter you need to make it right the best you can...your HEART needs to be right and you need to make sure your heart is right with God as well...you have to keep short accounts with God (still need to finish my article on short accounts...put it aside) this is WHY we take communion, in REMEMBRANCE of Jesus....and all that Jesus was and what He taught. He taught to love one another, to forgive one another, to serve one another. Matt22:37-39...Love God and Others is the greatest commandments.

So, as I am presented the opportunity to take communion and I KNOW I am having a problem with someone, I DON'T take communion (has happened a few times) I go and do my best to make things right with the one I have ought with and I also make sure I am asking for forgiveness of my sins before God and asking Him to forgive me and help me do better.

To me that is what COMMUNION according to 1 Cor 11 means. So please don't assume the worst if you see someone who doesn't take communion and be thankful they are not a HYPOCRITE!....:)

16. Matt22:37-39

BTW after reading many of the other responses...why is it anyone of your business WHY someone didn't take communion?... sound pretty nosy if you ask me.

Just pray for that person and like I said it is a good thing...let God be God and you just love the person and not judge them.

17. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    nosy by some, for others it may be genuine. I may not bring up "y u no take the bread and juice bro!?" but asking if everything is alright i think is fine. In the end the Pastor will attend to the flock etc. Communion though is a very sacred thing, sometimes we may just slam the juice and eat some bread and consider it to be a sunday school snack. Reverence can never be taught too often.

18. Matt22:37-39

Been saved 28 years and I would never think to go up to someone during a time of worship and solitude with God and "question" their motives.

That is one the biggest problem in most churches today....busy, body, nit picking, judgmental attitudes. Like I said let God do His work, He doesn't need your butting in, He will let you know by the sensitivity to the Holy Spirit when to minister to someone or not. And believe me COMMUNION is never a time...unless that person came to you.

Find it in scripture your stance and I might believe you...I did show that 1 Cor 11 is the proper way.

19. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

The best thing to do if seen (and hopefully you're not looking around to see what everyone does, you just happen to notice) is to pray for them.

But that's hard work. And we don't need the inside scoop so we can pray 'more intelligently'. God knows, and others simply don't need to know unless that person shares it on their own.

Some of you all need to get some Billy Goat religion and 'butt out'. :thumbsup: :love2:

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you personally have examined yourself & you are found wanting IE you are not sure & there is some sin that needs to be resolved, then why should you receive communion. Thats between you & God. Go first & rectify your sin & then come to the alter. Thats very personal!!!