1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Not tithing 10% = bad consequences with finances?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by SAVED4LIFE, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Tim

Tim New Member

Sometimes the materialism and overspending of church members is indirectly encouraged by the church itself. Big church building (with a big mortgage) is not too different from a big house (with a big mortgage).

We all need to invest more in the stuff that lasts.

In Christ,

Tim

2. Big Al

Big Al New Member

In a way I know where this person is coming from.
    How many of you are totally debt free? If you lost your primary source of income,(just say you went from $600 per week down to $250 per week) would you be able to make the adjustment?
    Myself, I was in this position last fall. I was on a budget, gave to the Lord with a loving heart and did everything I thought would be pleasing to the Lord. Then I was laid off, For 6 mo. we lived on unemployment and let me tell you its not easy losing your job.Between medical, credit cards, car payments and other things that WERE in my budget, it is forcing me into bankruptcy. So just because someone loses their job, doesnt mean they are a bad steward or that "God has put a hole in their bucket".
    Mabey God wants to use this for a test of the persons faith or even a career change. that is between them and God. Trust me, sometimes things happen that is out of your control.
    As far as tithing, I believe God expects you to give according to what He has blessed you with. I dont believe God is a supernatural accountant up there keeping track of every penny we give and when we dont give 10% he unleashes Satan on us to " teach us a lesson". He says we are to pay our debts, that is part of our christian witness. But just like in my case, the debts are forcing me into bankruptcy, and I know that is no way to get out of debt. I WILL repay each and every debt if it takes me the rest of my life. thats all I have to say. I,m sure alot of you will disagree, but just remember, dont pull a splinter from someone elses eye until you pull the log from your own.
    Love you all through the shed blood of Jesus.
    Allen

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it is true what many, here and elsewhere, are saying-- that the more [money] we give to our churches the more God will bless us [financially]-- then it would seem the most successful lifestyle in America would be to quit our jobs, sign up for public assistance, and then give every penny from that assistance to the church. That way we are giving all we receive and then we have all our time available to volunteer for many ministries. If you believe in this the-more-we-give-the-more-we-are-blessed concept, then is there anything wrong with this scenario?

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Big Al, I can not say I know exactly what you are going through, but I have been in a similar situation myself. I will be praying for you my friend. God has helped me in my life although it seems like an eternity at the time. God will do the same for you. Few people would be prepared to repay a bankrupcy. God bless you my friend.

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Yes! You would be giving MY money, not YOURS!

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you resent YOUR money being given?

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Not as long as I'm the one giving it. [​IMG]