1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Not under Law --Under Grace!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Claudia_T, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. standingfirminChrist

Bob, good answer! He did say He would write those laws in His children's hearts. But many do not want the laws.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

In my life - do you mean when did I realize I deviated from God's righteousness? Right before I was saved. I realized when I encountered Christ that I was on a path going away from the true God and that I had rejected Christ as the Savior up until that point.

3. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Marcia,

that is the purpose of the law to show us where we deviate and lead us to Christ... then we go to Christ and are forgiven, but then what happens after THAT?

You seem to be missing the second half of the story.

The Law points to the Gospel and the Gospel points us back to the Law.

Jesus then lives in us through His Spirit and through the Holy Spirit we keep the Law...

4. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

As for the original Bible verses I posted... Now I will show you what Law you are not under (see verse 2) since you are now under Grace .. it the called the "Law of sin and Death" meaning you sin and that brings death... like the law of gravity... read verses 6 and 7 as well

Romans 8:

1: There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

2: For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

3: For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
    4: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    5: For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

6: For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
    7: Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8: So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
    9: But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
    10: And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

This whole thing allows you to ESCAPE from the law of sin and death... you can get out from under that cycle...

5. standingfirminChrist

Christ did tell His disciples that He did not come to destroy the Law, but to fulfill it.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Let me just say that the Law is one of the deepest subjects in the Bible and will take a lifetime to try and fully understand. I think the answers Marcia gave were just fine.

Many think it was 2000 years ago that it was no longer sin to transgress the Law.

#26 Brother Bob, Jan 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2007
  7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

He did that through perfect obedience and being the perfect sacrifice.

Being saved does not mean we can obey the law perfectly - it means we want to obey in order to please God. But we are free from the penalty of the law - I think I said that.

8. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Now that I read over what all Marcia said I think she gave some really good answers too.

I surprised .. everybody has so far.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, thanks, Claudia! :wavey:

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I understand. You mean you are delivered by Christ, or I think that is what you mean.

#30 Brother Bob, Jan 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2007
  11. standingfirminChrist

Enjoy it while it lasts, Claudia. someone is sure to come in and say we're preaching works.

12. standingfirminChrist

Just wondering if I should get offended... been in the room for several minutes and no one has offered a cup of coffee.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, I think it speaks for itself. When we are being sanctified, our desires change and we want to please God.

Do you really not understand what I said or are you disagreeing? Please be clear. I don't have time to do all this back and forth.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I changed the post

15. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

( )> I cant remember how to make a cup of coffee but that sorta looks like one for you SFIC Sugar and Cream if you want it too... one lump or two? LOL!

16. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Yeah they're gonna have to say we are preaching works but then again it wouldnt be any fun if they didnt.

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, another thanks! :wavey:

I think I'll leave on a good note while I can. :smilewinkgrin:

I need to eat (it's already 9 pm here) and I have plenty of reading for my New Testament 1 course.

18. standingfirminChrist

yawn.... huh???

Lack of coffee made me fall asleep

19. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Being free from both the penalty of sin AND from slavery to sin is the message of Romans 6.

And SIN is "transgression of the Law" 1John 3:4 "yes really".

We are free from slavery to sin - NOT because God abolished His own Law to Love your neighbor as yourself (Lev 19:18) but because in the NEW Creation 2Cor 5 of the ONE Gospel we are made in the likeness of Christ - created for good works -- those who walk after the spirit (Rom 8) -- who "Walk as Christ Walked" 1John 2:4-6 showing that we are not merely liars.

In Christ,

Bob

20. standingfirminChrist

John wrote in Revelation to be 'faithful unto death'.

If one is not faithufl unto death but rather gives in to temptation, what does that say?

Whose servand is that one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.