1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

noticing something

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by bobbyd, May 31, 2005.

1. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

i was just noticing that this part of the forum is probably the least utilized on this message board; and i'm kind of curious why.
    I know that evangelism, misssions and witnessing is one of the least participated in ministries of the church...is that mentality rubbing off here?

Please don't think i'm trying to make a judgemental statement...i'm really hoping to see a discussion build on this.

thanks for your time.
    bobbyd

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

bobby I have noticed the same thing, not really sure why.

3. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

I am not sure with churches becoming more and more calvinistic that it is as important.

4. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I know that some of the discussions here included methods of evangelism. If for instance I like the Roman Road, I will be sharply critiqued by those that feel repentance is not highlighted enough. If I like FAITH, it is too canned - and beside, who wants to get into a discussion on "cold door-knocking?" Barely anyone knows what "G.R.O.W." is (that's the one I like) combined with "Share Jesus Without Fear."

In any case, I would welcome more posting in this forum.

5. patrick

patrick New Member

Evangilisim is over looked. Most of mine is thru relational contacts. When I share with a group, I usually will just keep it plain and simple. I have been faith trained. I have used grow and net.

I like the way it was done in the book of Acts. Just a bunch of folks telling people about Jesus. You can not beat it.

6. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

I'm not familiar with G.R.O.W., but I've been looking at "Share Jesus Without Fear" and I really, really like it. I think "Share Jesus" combined with " The Way of the Master " is a great combination. Here's a link to the fundamentals of "Share Jesus".

7. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I agree with you about the best method being just folks telling folks, Patrick. I've done evangalism for many, many years and used many formats. A lot depends on who I'm witnessing to, and when. It is odd to me, but the best way I've found is to get to know someone as a person, and then talk to them about Christ, yet, time and time again I hear "the hardest people to talk to are your own family and friends." I've had the opposite experience.

Currently my biggest mission field is to those who are totally hostile to the message of Christ because they confuse Christianity with Christians, and a lot of Christians are not anything at all like Christ teaches them to be.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When folks are not busy working they will find time to fight over methodology instead of getting the job done.

9. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I'm a missionary raising support to go to Spain.
    Go to your local christian bookstore and try to find a book on missiology or just books on missionaries anything like that. Nobody writes on that kind of stuff it just doesn't sell.

10. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Prayer meetings and visitation or soulwinning which ever you prefer. Two of the least attended meetings in the average church. I guess two many believers are out there trying to find their purpose huh?

11. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

GB,

One of my favorite ministers used to tell a cute little fable that went like this.

One day a demon came to Satan and said, "We got problems boss. You know how you said that we could count on getting all of Sin-City on our rolls by the end of August? Well, there's this one church that's actually telling people about .. you know.. HIM. They got bible schools, and people knocking on doors, and revivals, and concerts about HIM in the park, and they're teaching kids and grown ups, and they're going out in love. Its making a mess of our numbers."
    And Satan said, "No problem. Get one of our men on it. Have him join the church and form a committee on how to do all the things they are doing the right way."
    A few weeks later the demon returns with, "You're right boss. That stopped em in their tracks. They're so busy fighting they forgot all about the work they were doing."

12. patrick

patrick New Member

If people found their purpose they would be sharing the gospel. I like the PDL material. We need to move away from the we have to highly trained people to share the gospel.

We just need to help people fall in love with Jesus again!!!!!!!!

13. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

We just need to help people fall in love with Jesus again!!!!!!!!

Amen.

AMEN.

You made my WEEK Patrick!

14. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Since prayer was mentioned earlier along with evangelism as being poorly attended...let me ask this: does your church prayer time focus more on physical needs than it does spiritual neesds?
    At the church i'm pastoring i hear prayer requests for the sick, and prayer for the church for those who are unhappy about something or another, and the only time i hear prayer requests for the lost is when myself or a couple of others mention someone...and those others are AWANA workers who are rarely there.
    So, am i alone in this? And if not, should i be concerned...because i am.

bobbyd

15. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Bobbyd,

No, you are not alone, and yes, I think we should be concerned. I was talking to my daughter about this same thing recently.

I noticed that when the prayer requests were for "John's heart surgery," there were a lot of "Amen's," and "I'll pray for you," and if someone lead everyone in prayer they were very careful not to forget John. However, if the request was, "Please pray that Jim comes to know the Lord," people almost act embarrassed, a few might mumble, "sure, I'll pray," and yet, whoever leads the prayer tends to forget Jim.

Our church sends out email to prayer partners alerting us to prayer requests. We take them all week long, but on Sunday, every Sunday School class receives a form that they can write prayer requests down on, and they indicate if this can be put in the foyer for everyone to pray about. Well, I notice that I get long, long lists of "Jane is having knee surgery, Jill needs a job," and then I get, "unchurched" down at the bottom, like an after thought. The "unsaved" are lumped in with the "unchurched." Drives me insane because the most important need is the one at the bottom of the list like it was nothing.

16. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

We often pray for the sick and dying, but we don't do anything about it.

17. patrick

patrick New Member

We are the bride-groom of Christ and we need to be inviting people to the wedding feast

18. glorybound012001

You don't have to be trained to witness for Christ.You just have to be obediant to Gods word.I am a missionary with the NAMB and director of a truck stop chapel in Arkansas.I don't have any formal training but do try to follow what God leads me to do.He will show you the way if you let Him.