1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Now... I'm a criminal?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by th1bill, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Well, if this were in place back in the 70's, President Carter couldnt have been elected.

Wait. That would have been a GOOD thing! :tongue3:

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think it has.

1. Govtrack is a very good website concerning legislation and its place in the process.
    2. I got this story which is (as of this post) only 5 hours old: http://www.theatlantic.com/food/archive/2010/11/food-safety-stalls-in-the-senate/66838/
    3. Even opencongress has said it hasn't gone to a floor vote yet. A cloture motion has been presented. Check it out: http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-s510/show

I think you're talking about an amendment to the bill...which there have been 17 so far.

Regardless of where it is even if the bill passes I don't think it will survive court challenges. It is a bad bill (in terms of overreaching) and will definitely hurt small farmers. Though if the bill gets passed in this lame duck session the conference committee will likely strip it of a ton of its overreaching.

4. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

The SB510

Actually, Bill, that vote was for cloture. When a bill is brought to the floor for final discussion before a vote.... it can be fillibustered into the grave if enough people are willing to fight to defeat it. A vote for cloture ends the discussion and also any fillibuster delays: It takes 3/5 of the vote to stop debate and bring the bill to the floor for a final vote: 60 votes are needed in the Senate. These Senators voted to end discussion.... not for or against the bill...........however......Its a dangerous move for those who are against this bill unless they are very sure of their ability to defeat it. 16 of those voting for cloture are Republican! Scott Brown is one..... and George LeMieux of Florida is another! (And I'm pissed!.............please pardon my emotion..... and in hopes they defeat it in final vote!)