1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Now I'm sure this was just another lucky game...

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by StefanM, Nov 11, 2006.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A great point, Tom.

If the BCS formula gives us a Michigan-Ohio State rematch then it will have to be changed by next season to require that in order for a team to be in the BCS championship game that they have to win their conference title regardless of whether they finish first or second in the BCS poll.

I think that should already be a requirement anyway.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I completely agree.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

IMHO, it will never be a requirement:

1. You'd have to make an exception for Notre Dame. How many more exceptions will the rest of the CFB world tolerate?
    2. The conferences without championship games (notably, the Big 10 and Pac 10) will cry foul. They'll argue that a team could be worthy of a slot with one loss (who didn't play their champ) since neither conf mandates everyone play each other. Or, if you have two teams (or more) who tie for the conf crown, then who is your champ? The tie-break winner? That's what we need: more "it wasn't settled on the field" nonsense. :)
    3. The conferences WITH championship games will cry foul. They'll point to the fact that their one loss divisional runners-up would be automatically shut out of a title shot, while an inferior conference champ from the weak __________ conference has a shot.

I'm not saying I agree with the above necessarily. It's just what will happen. IMHO, of course :)

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The BCS should require that all the leagues have 12 teams and a championship game. If ND doesn't want to be part of it then so be it. They can satisfy themselves on the non-BCS bowls and AP voters.

It wouldn't really be all that difficult at this point. The BE could pick up East Carolina and 3 MAC schools or else someone like Tulane or even ND.

The Big 10 could pick up ND or a solid MAC school. The Pac10 would have a choice of several good teams to round out to 12 including Utah, Boise St, Fresno St (in spite of this year), or even one of the up and coming schools from Nevada or New Mexico. Colorado St wouldn't be a terrible choice either.

It is patently unfair for three of the conferences to have championship game while we sit here and speculate if Mich-OSU could become a rematch for the BCS title.

All conferences should play a championship game and only one of those six champions should be illegible to win the BCS championship.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Scott, I agree.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I agree, but it is not going to happen. Notre Dame isn't joining a conference. The BIg Ten has all but said it's either Notre Dame or nothing for them, and the Pac 10 has shown reluctance at adding more teams.