1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Now I've heard everything!

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Debby in Philly, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We recently got a new pastor, and as you might expect, not everyone is pleased. I was told that one older gentleman said he didn't like the new pastor because "He doesn't preach a sermon, he preaches from the Bible!"

What do you pastors make of this? What is this fellow thinking?

2. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Almost sounds like this gentleman likes a screamer and a spitter for a "preacher". Someone who will scare the hell out of people or try to scare the people out of hell. Instead of a pastor teacher. There are many out there who don't want sound biblical teaching, they want their "loud prophet"

Bro Tony

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Sounds to me like Expository Sermons---at their best!

Pastor mentions the word "expository" and the church members(majority of them) look at 'cha like a "calf lookin' at a new fence!"

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    blackbird said:

you can say that again !

[​IMG] :D

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

It may be a mater of "taste." It sounds like the new pastor may preach expository messages in more of a teaching style. Give the older fella some time. He may very well fall in love with true Bible preaching.

6. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

:eek: you mean people preach and don't use the Bible?

I've never heard such a thing!

;)

7. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, that was my first reaction!

8. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

actually it sounds like the member had a deep respect for the previous pastor and is disappointed that the new pastor is not exactly like him. If that is so then it will just take a little time for him as well as others to get used to him. on the other hand, the member may just be a griper and truth be told nothing will make him happy so why try? he will be happy griping so leave him be lol

9. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

oh yeah and by the way, expository preachers can be fire and brimstone too ;)

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have lots of "pulpiteers" who talk ABOUT the Bible, but usually just preach on a topic or a hobby-horse.

Exposition of the Word may involve pulpit rhetoric and delivery, but has SUBSTANCE based on verse by verse of the Bible, not the whims of man.

Some people WANT to be yelled at and shamed and rush to the altar at every service. But they do not want clear exposition of the Word that will involve real life change. They can go through the motions service after service with the pulpiteer and never really change.

11. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Bob, considering the source of the comment, I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head. Our new pastor is doing just that - exposition. Sometimes with an outline and/or verses on the overhead!

What's that old saying, "He's went from preachin' and gone to meddlin!"

But you have to admit, the phrasing of the comment was rather humorous.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It WAS cute!!

We have some really boring, lecture type preaching who call themselves the "teacher type". Sorry. I think teaching is more intense than that, and a poor boorish presentation probably doesn't have the gift of a pastor/teacher.

13. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Sometimes with old-timers who are still nursing, if you time it just right you can shove the steak in there (as you pull out the bottle) before their teeth clank together. This reduces the impact.

Lacy :D

14. LarryN

LarryN New Member

This describes the style of Jack Hyles (and his many imitators) to a "T".

Hyles was known for frequently reading just one or two verses, then saying (and this is an exact quote): "Now close your Bibles and listen to me."

That initial verse or two was the first & last time that his audiences actually got into the Word while he was speaking.

15. Mark S.

Mark S. New Member

Interesting? I would have to say that the divide between topical preaching and expository preaching is what determines not only the mentality of Christians, but a Baptist church in general. I use to call it...'Let me preach to you my BIG IDEA vs. preaching the Text's BIG IDEA.' One of the previous churches I went to the Pastor preached a verse a week.

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Topical preaching is fine with me as long as its a scriptural topic with Scripture to back up the points.

Concerning the new preacher:

Wife: "He preached for an hour and said nothing".
    Husband: "Yes, but he said it well".

HankD

17. NateT

NateT Member

When we were w/o a pastor for a while we had a schedule of state workers (men who worked at the state convention) come fill our pulpit each week. One week we had a man get up and he had a small pocket-sized Bible. He said something remarks that I took to be introductory to his sermon. Before long, he's done preaching, and my wife and I realized he never opened the Bible or even quoted a scripture. He didn't preach again at our church.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It would be easy to make presumptions over what this man said, but, to me, it sounds like he simply doesn't like the new preacher's style. I don't think he was saying that the previous preacher wasn't preaching from the Bible. or anything like that.

There are numerous preaching styles. Some preachers will take a simple bible topic and use it as a basis for their sermons. Others will carry one a whole intense Bible study in a sermon. Others will do nothing but read from the Bible with little practical application in a sermon. It sounds like what this fellow was saying is this: He liked the previous preacher's style of using a simple scriptural topic in the sermon, as opposed to the new preacher's more intense indepth bible study approach. It's his opinion, and it's a valid one. Not everyone wants a bible study on Sunday mornings (for that, they'll go to a Bible study). They want practical application in a scriptural topic. Sounds like that's what this guy preferrs. It's not a right-wrong issue. It's a personal preference issue.

19. rufus

rufus New Member

He may be a Tare among the Wheat (Matthew 13) :mad: