1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

'NYT' Reporter Who Got Iraqi WMDs Wrong Now Highlights Iran Claims

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by poncho, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

By Greg Mitchell

Published: February 10, 2007 10:30 PM ET Friday updated Saturday
    NEW YORK Saturday’s New York Times features an article, posted at the top of its Web site late Friday, that suggests very strongly that Iran is supplying the “deadliest weapon aimed at American troops” in Iraq. The author notes, “Any assertion of an Iranian contribution to attacks on Americans in Iraq is both politically and diplomatically volatile.”

What is the source of this volatile information? Nothing less than “civilian and military officials from a broad range of government agencies.”

Sound pretty convincing? Well, almost all the sources in the story are unnamed. It also may be worth noting that the author is Michael R. Gordon, the same Times reporter who, on his own, or with Judith Miller, wrote some of the key, and badly misleading or downright inaccurate, articles about Iraqi WMDs in the run-up to the 2003 invasion.

Gordon wrote with Miller the paper's most widely criticized -- even by the Times itself -- WMD story of all, the Sept. 8, 2002, “aluminum tubes” story that proved so influential, especially since the administration trumpeted it on TV talk shows.

When the Times eventually carried an editors’ note that admitted some of its Iraq coverage was wrong and/or overblown, it criticized two Miller-Gordon stories, and
    noted that the Sept. 8, 2002, article on page one of the newspaper "gave the first detailed account of the aluminum tubes. The article cited unidentified senior administration officials who insisted that the dimensions, specifications and numbers of tubes sought showed that they were intended for a nuclear weapons program."

SOURCE

2. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

I don't doubt that Iraqi insurgents are getting their weapons from somewhere even from Iran some one has to fill the demand for weapons supplies. Russia used to be a good source for the popular AK-47's . Without a doubt the presence of U.S. troops have created a great oppurtunity for weapons dealers from all parts of the world.

#2 Petra-O IX, Feb 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2007
  3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I saw on the news today (all day long and every news channel) photos of what appeared to be 81 mm motar rounds supposedly "made in Iran" in 2006. Why would Iranians use English characters and not Islamic characters or Farsi and why would they use a date 3-2006 taken from our Christian calender instead of their own Islamic calender in which the date would read something like 1427? Could it be that the Iranians were just trying to make it easier for the english speaking world mass media to finger them for manufacturing these mortar rounds just last year so they wouldn't be mistaken for much older leftovers or pre COTW invasion mortar rounds captured by the Iraqis? No one in the mass media that has been running this story over and over again today have asked these questions so far as I know. One might think the so called "liberal" media would be all over this just because they "hate Bush so and are out to get him" as I have heard so many here say over the years, so why aren't they?

[​IMG]

This photo was taken from an article in the UK Telegraph.

Looks like more sloppily fabricated bogus neocon intell/evidence to me. Remember the yellowcake claims and how that turned out? Totally bogus fabrication.

George W. Bush

#3 poncho, Feb 11, 2007
  4. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Good points Poncho, I quess the propagandest people in charge figured if all was printed in English we would understand it better and no one would dare to ask questions

#4 Petra-O IX, Feb 11, 2007
  5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Someone in the media wants the USA to invade Iran . . .

I gotta wonder why?

Are they trying to raise ratings?

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Writers for New york Times being wrong is hardly news. They seem to be wrong or biased far more often than they are right or fair.

7. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Naturally it would seem that way to anyone who rather than read the actual NYT, reads anti-NYT mass emails from rabid right-wingers with an agenda.

The NYT has its faults, especially among the editorial staff, but at least it makes an effort to be a good journal and corrects its mistakes when confronted with them.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. Even their "hard news" reporting is full of bias and personal opinion.

9. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

It does look like Poncho is on to something. But does anyone know:

1. Do Iranian munitions makers use the Islamic, rather than the Gregorian calendar?

2. Do Iranian munitions makers label their wares in Farsi, rather than English?

I suspect they do, but I don't really know. If this is true, someone's trying to take us for a ride, again.

10. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Compared to whom?

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a nutty question. :BangHead:

12. Daisy

Daisy New Member

No, it isn't. If you think the NYT is so full of bias, which do you think is not? What standard are you judging the NYT by?

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My own.

As I said, nutty question.:wavey:

14. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Oh my.

So are they more biased than other news organizations or are they all equally biased?

Why? Was I supposed to assume that you'd have nothing to back up what you said?

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't need any "backup" to be able to read and analyze on my own. Do you?

Check that. If you don't see the bias in the NYT reporting, you evidently do.

16. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Revealed: IRA bombs killed eight British soldiers in Iraq

Terror devices used by the IRA in a vicious murder campaign in Ulster blew up British servicemen as the world blamed Iran

By Greg Harkin, Francis Elliott and Raymond Whitaker

Published: 16 October 2005

Eight British soldiers killed during ambushes in Iraq were the victims of a highly sophisticated bomb first used by the IRA, The Independent on Sunday can reveal.
    The soldiers, who were targeted by insurgents as they travelled through the country, died after being attacked with bombs triggered by infra-red beams. The bombs were developed by the IRA using technology passed on by the security services in a botched "sting" operation more than a decade ago.
    This contradicts the British government's claims that Iran's Revolutionary Guard is helping Shia insurgents to make the devices.

<snip>

Britain claims that the bomb-making expertise now being used in southern Iraq was passed on by Iran's Revolutionary Guard through Hizbollah, the revolutionary Islamist group it sponsors in Lebanon.
    But a former agent who infiltrated the IRA told The Independent on Sunday that the technology reached the Middle East through the IRA's co-operation with Palestinian groups. In turn, some of these groups used to be sponsored by Saddam Hussein and his Baath party.

SOURCE

#16 poncho, Feb 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2007
  17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To the contrary, it confirms the liklihood of such collaboration.

18. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Sure, Hezbollah, Hamas; Sunni, Shi'ia; Afghanistan, Iraq - they're all the same to some people. :rolleyes:

That wasn't the question. It was can you back up, as in provide evidence to the validity of, show a basis for, your opinion? No, the NYT is biased and that is that is that. :rolleyes:

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be extremely naive of you to believe there are not strong connections betweeen Iran and Palestinian Islamist groups. Their connections are well documented.

A very quick and cursory google search confirms it easily. Give it a shot, then roll your eyes some more. :thumbs:

20. Daisy

Daisy New Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.