1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

O.K. Now that you have this fine education,

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Plain Old Bill, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I just PM'd Ecsentric and explained why I though there were big holes in what is being offered.I will put it here for everybody to see and you can judge for yourself if this idea makes sense.
    1.Most of the affordable online schools are either charismatic or pentecostal...not compatable with sound Bible or Baptist doctrine.
    2.Even though the education in a Bible college or seminary costs more then it does to educate the student far to few can afford it.
    3. Some schools though sincere just lack properly qualified staff to put out a good product.
    4.Some are just plain diploma mills and the innocent get sucked in with the insincere.
    5.While some excell in academics they drop off in the practicle application department.
    6. We could serve students in a way they could never be served if we put this together right.

UZThD , I read your last post, I like your thinking.
    There are many online helps available on the internet and inexpensive CD's to help cut book expenses.With the cost of resources minimal and the talent available being excellant and well qualified and motivated, I think we have a chance to do something special.

2. JamesBell

JamesBell New Member

I have been looking for a distance type seminary program. My slate is full, and I simply cannot head off to seminary at the moment, at least not unless some things change (which I know they could). The best thing I have seen thus far is Messiah! (www.messiahseminary.org). Of course, they are only a candidate for accreditation and they are not a Baptist institution. (At least I don't think they are.) Other than this, the only thing approaching what I would look for is Luther Rice Seminary (www.lrs.edu). This appears to be high quality, it is accredited by TRACS (which is recognized by the Department of Education), and it offers all of the usual degrees. But, something just doesn't click with me when I look at it.

I suppose this is a long winded way of saying that I would love to study with a group like this, at least until I am able to make arrangements to attend a seminary or I find peace with one of the distace education programs. Your idea will be in my prayers. I think this could become a wonderful thing for all of us.

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    JamesBell,

I got your private email. You can look on http://study.founders.org/ for all the information. "Founders Ministries" was "founded" in order to get out the "historic Baptist Doctrines of Grace" commonly known as Calvinism. The Study Center grew out of a perceived need for men to train for the ministry in a Calvinistic context.

I would suggest that you go there and look around. I will be taking on one new student this Fall. It will be my first time to do the work. The are a bit selective in whom they choose to be mentors for obvious reasons. Email Dr. Puls with any questions and I will be glad to help also. Registration is cheap, you have to buy your own books; but I can guarantee that the work will be difficult accademically.

I would mention one proviso: if you do not lean towards the "Doctrines of Grace" then it may not be for you. The work is somewhat intensive and individually motivated. My guess, after looking over the program, is that it is on the academic side rather than the application or practical side.

Cheers!

sdg!

rd

4. UZThD

UZThD New Member

5. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

right, eg, the Nicene Fathers, I think, are on line. A course could be developed on these. eg,:

The Christology of the Nicene Fathers
    --------------------------------------

Goal: Demonstrate a knowledge of the Christology of the Nicene Fathers.

Objective 1: Demonstrate an understanding of Athanasius' Christology.

Assignments

1- read Athanasius' The Incarnation

2- pass a proctored quiz on that (20 % of grade)

2- summarize that reading in 300 words (20 % of grade)

3- respond in writing to 8 probing questions by your evaluator on your summary which require a rereading of related passages in Athanasius and/or looking at other materiel, (40 % of grade)

4- after explaining your understanding of Athanasius to your pastor (or?) and getting his response, write 100 words which explains the points where your denomination's or pastor's view of the Incarnation agrees or disagrees with Athanasius.(20 % of grade)

objective 2 - Demonstrate an understanding of the difference between Cyril's Christology and that of the Antiochenes

etc

'

[ July 23, 2005, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: UZThD ]

6. Plain Old Bill

Take a look at The Baptist Sart Page,E-Sword,BibleCentre.com they are good resources also.

7. Plain Old Bill

Other resources could be, Baptist Heritage,The Bible Archive,Baptist Library Online,Bible Org,Evangelism Toolbox,Evangelism Resources,Christianity(hermeneutics,commentaries,eschatology,archeology, ect..)Pink,Gills,Spurgeons Archives, would also be useful.

8. Plain Old Bill

We should come up with a statement of faith.It should be put together by several people or at least agreed upon. My personal sticking points would be I would not tolerate a KJVO stance although I am KJV preferred somewhat.Although I am pre-mill,pre-trib,I believe there is room fro several views.I believe in the security of the believer.I belive that the Bible is The Word of God be it KJV,NIV,ESV,NASB,RSV,NKJV,in other words the scholorly versions.I'm not a big fan of paraphrases.I am not terribly legalistic(women wearing pants in church and things like that).Other then that My beliefs are typically baptistic.

We should also come up with a mission statement that reflects our purpose to train Pastors,teachers,missionaries,and evangelists to be properly prepared to go out into the field and do the work God has called them to do.

I could,nt agree with you more.We need to be careful,take our time and do this right.
    Each course should have Plan of Instruction,a Method of Instruction,and an Outline of instruction.When a course is drawn up with textbooks,readers,and plans it should be reviewed by a peer group of at least two more professors.This would help to add ideas,insure nothing important is left out, and give balance to to instruction.
    That's my two cents worth.What are your thoughts?UZThD,RHetorician,Excentric?Anybody else?

9. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

By all means, do not make pre-trib a requirement.

The return of Christ should be limited to: We believe in the personal, premillennial second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

10. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, we wouldn't want any truth in a doctrinal statement! :D

Just had to do that --- well maybe I didn't [​IMG]

Back to my nap [​IMG]

11. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not allow a-mil as a choice or chance?

rd

12. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Don't fergit short hair and long skirts.

And cards.

13. JamesBell

JamesBell New Member

Plain Old Bill, you seem to be pretty well on target. As I was thinking about this earlier, I almost feared that something would just be thrown up to get going. I think this is a wonderful idea, and I would hate to see it ruined by rushing through the development of the material.

14. Plain Old Bill

Although I am pre-trib,pre-mill, I would think a course which does not present the different views to have serious short commings.Even Walvoord and Pentecost two of my favorite pre-trib writers present different views.
    James you are welcome to pm me if you have any questions that you would like to ask or anything you would like to share.I am glad to answer PM'S.

Much of what I have to say I am posting in public so that anybody may question me or respond in whatever way they wish.When we can get enough qualified people together the messages will probably be much more by PM and e-mail or voice.

15. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I was wondering how long it would take for a response like yours! Not long! [​IMG]

How about: We believe in the personal second coming of Jesus Christ.

16. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

I would be happy to subscribe to a statement of faith broad enough to include the several differing eschatological convictions within Baptistic conservatism .

And were eschatology that which was being taught, either in Biblical exposition or doctrine , then a peer committee reviewing that course could require that a fair representation of each position is made. If it is, then I see nothing wrong with the teacher stating which of the several positions is his and why.

17. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul33,

That works for me.

sdg!

rd

18. Plain Old Bill

19. Plain Old Bill

James Bell has offered to set up our Web site and I asked if he thought he could be the site administrator and run the site.If he will do that then we have someone to do all of the updating on the site. He has MS Front Page and that is a very good program.

20. Plain Old Bill

Some more resource sites:
    Old Testament Gateway
    New Testament Gateway
    Net.Bible
    Blue Letter Bible
    Prophecy Central
    www.arcapologetics.org
    Pilogos.org
    Apologetics Index
    Biblical Hermeneutics