1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Obama Admin Grabs Millions of Verizon Phone Records

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ok, hands up here how many objected to/ disagreed with the USA PATRIOT Act?

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was a warrantless seizure.

No they didn't know of telephones in the 1st or 5th amendment. That's why they made it general so the principles would apply no matter what.

I guess you're fine with the gov't doing anything they please with or without a warrant. No wonder you're happy with this President. You would have been even happier with Stalin and Hitler. After all you didn't have anything to hide from them.

Give up your rights if you want to.

3. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't object, but should have.

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I opposed it before it was passed into law.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I objected to portions of it, but reluctantly went along with it. I regret that now.

6. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just an interesting fact. 64 years ago today, "1984" was published. The reason why they had nothing to hide was the fact that nothing was hidden from Big Brother.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not the same thing. Once again you don't read the articles you post. Amazing.

From the article:

Under Bush, the National Security Agency built a highly classified wiretapping program to monitor emails and phone calls worldwide. The full details of that program remain unknown, but one aspect was to monitor massive numbers of incoming and outgoing U.S. calls to look for suspicious patterns, said an official familiar with the program.

This methodology searches phone conversations looking for key words and phrases. So don't say things like "the trigger mechanism is wired and ready to implement" over the phone, because that would put you under suspicion. Obama is setting precedent because he is seizing phone call data--who you called, when you called, how long the phone call lasted--with no indication of any suspicion of anything.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

It would be helpful if you could stay on topic.

Yes, disagreed with and objected to.

You've said that you're not concerned with privacy violations because you have nothing to hide. If that were really true, why would you oppose the Patriot Act? After all, you have nothing to hide, so why be opposed to something that invades your privacy?

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Government spying on us all? No it would never do that. Rev you're spending too much time on those conspiracy sites. :laugh:

10. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I did and I still do. Just like I objected to Poindexter's creepy "Total Information Awareness" which is what we're really talking about here.

The TIA never went away it's just being implemented under different names and "reasons". Mostly it's the old the "terrorists will get you if" you don't let us pry into every facet of your life and stick our hands down your pants.

Never mind the democrats and republicans are in a race to see who can send the most money and heaviest weapons to Islamic extremists.

#30 poncho, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013
  11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Intel Director Testified in March that Gov. Does Not Collect Data on Americans

On March 12, 2013, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and other intelligence officials testified about current and future threats to the United States. Senator Ron Wyden asked: "Does the NSA collect any kind of data at all on millions or hundreds of millions of Americans? Clapper answered: "No, sir." Wyden: "It does not?" Clapper: "Not wittingly. There are cases where they could, inadvertently, perhaps..."

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-...tified-Gov-Does-Not-Collect-Data-On-Americans

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did; and you can research the archives here on BB and find threads where I posted against it.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Author of Patriot Act says NSA phone records collection 'never the intent' of law

The author of the Patriot Act said Thursday that a secret program under which the Obama administration was collecting phone records from millions of Americans is "excessive" and beyond the scope of the law.

Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., who wrote the 2001 law, was among a host of lawmakers on both sides of the aisle who raised alarm over the practice.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...e-records-collection-excessive/#ixzz2VTU2cKWW

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    President Obama’s Dragnet

Within hours of the disclosure that the federal authorities routinely collect data on phone calls Americans make, regardless of whether they have any bearing on a counterterrorism investigation, the Obama administration issued the same platitude it has offered every time President Obama has been caught overreaching in the use of his powers: Terrorists are a real menace and you should just trust us to deal with them because we have internal mechanisms (that we are not going to tell you about) to make sure we do not violate your rights.

Those reassurances have never been persuasive — whether on secret warrants to scoop up a news agency’s phone records or secret orders to kill an American suspected of terrorism — especially coming from a president who once promised transparency and accountability. The administration has now lost all credibility. Mr. Obama is proving the truism that the executive will use any power it is given and very likely abuse it. That is one reason we have long argued that the Patriot Act, enacted in the heat of fear after the 9/11 attacks by members of Congress who mostly had not even read it, was reckless in its assignment of unnecessary and overbroad surveillance powers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/07/o...ragnet.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&pagewanted=all&

15. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner, is the author of the Patriot act? How many does that make now? No not Patriot acts, I last counted three of those I mean authors.

Let's see there's Jim here, and Hart Rudman commission, and the last guy to claim the honor Viet Dinh.

I wonder if they all share the royalties?

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's as I said.

#36 Aaron, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
  17. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I agree but to be fair republicans acted the same way with Bush. Both sides gobble it up so neither side ever gets held accountable. We're so busy defending our favorite politicians we haven't got time to defend our liberties.

That's the perfect condition for tyranny to run rampant. And it is, thanks to both parties and all those lost in the "partisan" sauce.

#37 poncho, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
  18. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep! And for the first 30 days of "our" candidate taking office, we think it will all be good. But then reality takes over.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the way opposition for this is bipartisan.

20. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev. you liberal, you are soft on terrorists. Shame on you.

I say, make it as tough for them to communicate as possible!