1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama appeals for tolerance on 9/11

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Jedi Knight, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your interpretation of what Obama means by tolerance is not evident in his speech.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

The speech may not reflect it...but the body of his work, and his policies (as well as the radicals he surrounds himself with) do exactly that.

3. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Would you care to provide evidence of your claim?

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

pretty much all of his actions and statements regarding Arizona.

Radicals that have been in Obama's administration--particularly Van Jones.

Obama's bowing and apology to pretty much any world leader that would listen to him.

Obama's lecturing of the country on the Mosque issue about "freedom of religion"--even though that wasn't the point for the vast majority of Americans (they weren't arguing about the right to build a mosque--simply that building the mosque there wasnt' right).

Obama's willingness to have the crackpot "pastor" Jones contacted and encouraged to change his views--but the same response was never offered to corresponding crackpot "imam" Rauf.

Obama's bizarre and offensive statements in the aftermath of the Fort Hood shooting...(remember the "shout out?")...constantly lecturing us about the virtues of Islam.

To quote David Limbaugh (SOURCE):

5. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Where in all this is Obama displaying that tolerance is...

I see these as examples of tolerance as ...

Nothing about forcing non-muslims to celebrate islamic views.

#105 Gold Dragon, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2010
  6. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Try Northern Ireland from 1969-1998. Granted, they tended to blow other people up rather than themselves ( the latter occasionally but only by accident).

7. Matt Black

Site Supporter

You know better than that. There are always limits to tolerance to do with the basic law of the land eg: I couldn't start a religion which advocated the murder of everyone with blue eyes. The Muslims are allowed freedom of worship in the UK, complete with Azan; however, an example of the limitation of this is that many local councils only give planning permission for a mosque to be built on condition that the early morning Azan is unamplified, where local by-laws prohibit undue noise between 11pm and 7am.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure you could. At least in the USA you could. You would just get arrested, tried, and likely convicted if you actually did murder anyone with blue eyes.

9. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I would be stopped before that in the UK, simply by opening my mouth. That's another example of a limitation, this time of free speech: I don't have the freedom to shout 'Fire!' in a crowded theatre.

10. targus

targus New Member

And yet teaching to kill the infidel goes on in some mosques both in the UK and the US.

But they are not stopped.

11. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not denying this is true. Maybe it is. But I'm curious as to whether you have a news report or some sort of evidence that this has happened.

12. Matt Black

Site Supporter

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Good response.

Right.

GD totally lost me on this.

My position on the mosque has been from the get-go: They have the right to build it...but it isn't right for them to be so insensitive about the timing, location, and hurt to the victims' families.

How on earth does that violate any Constitutional tenets or Baptist Distinctives? Didn't I just affirm their First Amenement rights in my first sentence?

This gets confusing. We can't just tolerate any more--now, we have to celebrate their viewpoints and hold their views as equal in truth to our own, I guess...

14. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Refer to post #83. I don't have a problem with complaints about the location of the Ground Zero mosque.

I have a problem with folks on this thread promoting intolerance to muslims and denying them their right to build mosques which is a violation of constitutional tenets and baptist distinctives.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I agree - this thread is dedicating to criticism of President Obama for his call for tolerance.

If the president is wrong, what is the alternative?

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

OK, so we're not too far apart, then.

I don't want the government preventing it.

BUt I want these guys to do the right thing and not build it there.

(Actually, I'd love to see this imam come to the Lord. THat's the best solution of all!)

17. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

We should not be "tolerant" of Islam because it stands against God. We've got to understand that "tolerance" means different things to different people. Some people think we can actually have interfaith worship and that Islam is "not all that bad" but that's not at all what the Bible teaches us. We'd better line up on the right side of this issue. This "intolerance" doesn't imply hatred and violence towards Muslims - that's what Muslims feel and act towards Christians - but it does mean we cannot support, encourage, condone, etc. the spread of Islam including the construction of mosques anywhere anytime. It means we should do the opposite. We should also stand against hatred and violence towards individual Muslims and recognize that, as with all sinners, we cannot force them to accept the Lord Jesus Christ even by force of law if such were the case. Building a mosque is certainly legal in the broad sense of religious liberty but recognizing this basis and source of this liberty which we enjoy is paramount to sustaining the liberty itself. Our liberty comes from God - the one true God and not all the gods of man - and we need to keep this in mind when we talk about religious liberty, tolerance, diversity, etc. He is the reason we are a free people and if we start going down the path of making all gods okay in America we will be judged accordingly. Further, in the case of Islam, we are dealing with a religion that is bent on the destruction of Christianity by the force of violence and even the perversion of our law using the very freedoms we've established. The underlying strength of our system is not in the law itself but in the people's application of it and that, in turn, in their following Jesus Christ as their Lord otherwise the law - including all are foundational documents - are meaningless.

#117 Dragoon68, Sep 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2010
  18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. And according to some sources, about 80% of them. At least in the U.S.

19. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What is your understanding of the distinction between the terms religious tolerance, religious liberty, religious pluralism and religious relativism? You seem to be confusing some terminology here.

For those in islam who use violence to further their cause, the law deals with them. For those who do not, the law protects them.

20. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

And yet you implied earlier that people who express strong opinions but don't take action are "chicken".

Of course we realize that your comment was only a jab at your opponents. A cheap shot one might say, so it can be disregarded.

And many of us would say that we don't need any more lectures from Obama about tolerance for Muslims. They practice their religion without interference, they build mosques across the country without a peep of protest, and they now have a president who praises them for their history and accomplishments, and who has instructed NASA of all things to build bridges with them. It is condescending of him to talk this way to us.