1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama doesnt like evangelicals?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by ajg1959, Oct 5, 2008.

1. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I moved this to a new thread to satisfy Roger.

obama on Meet The Press.

"I do not believe being gay or lesbian is a choice. And so I disagree with [that supporter]. But part of what I hope to offer as president is the ability to reach to people that I don't agree with, and the evangelical community is one where the Democratic Party, I think, we have generally seen as hostile. We haven't been reaching out to them, and I think that if we're going to makes significant progress on critical issues that we face, we've got to be able to get beyond our comfort zones and just talk to people we don't like. I've tried to do is to reach out to the evangelical community and tell them very clearly where I disagree. "

Source: Meet the Press: 2007 "Meet the Candidates" series Nov 11, 2007

Please correct me if I am wrong, but is obama saying that he doesnt like christians?

AJ

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I am not sure when I became synonymous with the rules of the boad, but anyway.

Obama doesn't like evangelicals - evangelicals don't like Obama. Seems kind of fair, doesn't it?

I would not expect Sen Obama to like me - the world is always going to hate God's people.

3. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I guess it wouldnt matter as much if Obama didnt make a big issue about himself being a person of christian faith.

AJ

4. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Good point.

Besides, I am one of God's people and there are some folks that are also God's people that I just cant stand. I try to love them, but they seem to go out of their way to try to make loving them difficult.

AJ

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Good point - but as you pointed out there are people who each of us have a hard time liking. There are people I like who do not like me and vice-versa. I think the idea of trying to reach out to people we may not like is a good one. There are many situations where there are Christians or Christian groups who I 'don't like' but as a part of the body of Christ it is important that we reach out to them, even when they reject us or choose not to like us in return.

Obama, from all indications that I have seen, either has a dead faith (James 2) or a shallow faith.

I am pretty sure that he would not like me, because there is nothing about his politics that I can support.

6. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Well, at least we now know where we stand with him. He has more or less stated that Christians are the enemy of the democratic party (which seems ironic since he claims to be a christian)

AJ

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

And least he is open about - there is another major party who claims to be our friend.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The denomination to which Obama's former church belonged was not evangelical and was pretty anti-evangelical. I would not find it hard to believe that Obama would not care for evangelicals, esp since that's a voting block that doesn't share his values. That said, Howard Dean has made a huge play to go after evangelicals, and in some districts it's worked, esp in 2006 congressional races.

9. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

To my eyes, the "we" refers back to the Democratic Party as a whole, which hasn't exactly been on friendly terms with evangelicals lately. While Obama may also share in this dislike for evangelicals, I don't think that can be ascertained from this quote.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? Only evangelicals are Christians?

11. sag38

sag38 Active Member

How dare we question the term "Christian" when some who call themselves "Christian" do not value the Bible and stand for values that a contray and contradictory to God's word.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I will correct you, he says he doesn't agree with evangelicals. He didn't say he doesn't like them. He goes on to say, "I hope to offer as president is the ability to reach to people that I don't agree with". I think that's a breath of fresh air for a guy running for president to acknowledge the fact that people with other views also exist in this country.

For the record AJ, I also disagree with some evangelicals views and philosophies so I am not one to point a finger at Obama.