1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama Must First, EARN My Respect

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by righteousdude2, Jan 21, 2009.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many times did I hear some Hollywood leftist exclaim [on televison last night]that Americans had to give Obama the time and patience to be the president he can be????

Why should I give Obama any room to grow? Isn't he supposed to be ready and able right now? After all, that is what I've heard for the last 2-years. Now that their guy is on the firing-line we are expected to be patient with him. No criticism. No hate. No anger.

Why should I be any less critical of their guy, when they pounced on Bush before his Inauguration because they felt Gore won, and Bush had stolen the Presidency? In fact it was that very "spirit of hate" by the LEFT that grew and spread to a good portion of America over the last 8-years; and it was that growing spirit of hate toward the Bush Administration that resulted in the kind of putrid stench that permeated Washington, D.C. throughout Obama's Inauguration.

There has been so much vile and animosity during the last 8-years, that Bush never had a chance to succeed. Still, I am chided by the press and the Hollywood elites to be "kind and patient" so their guy can have a chance to succeed.

Peronally, I can not call this man my president. This man must earn the respect that he and his party are demanding of me for their man! Truth is, Obama will have to work his rear-end off before I can see it within my heart-of-hearts to call him MY president! And even then, I may never be able to call him mr. president!!!

I don't wish Obama any ill-will, but, as I said above, it will take time for me to be able to call him president Obama, only because of the spirit-hate that those on the far left, the left, and the center-left cast forth on a decent, hard working man (Bush).....

Signed: Waiting to See:type:

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

So, what country are going to move to? When are you going? Because the only way he's not your President is when you're not a citizen of this country anymore. Like it or not, Obama is your President and he's my President and he's President of every American citizen.

Oh, of course not.

It's a good thing you're above all that and not interested in hating on our newly inaugurated President.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I cannot respect a person who supports the murder of the unborn and the recognition of homosexual perversion as an acceptable lifestyle.

4. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And, Let Me Guess???

......how did you feel about President Bush?????

5. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks For Your Thoughts.

You just gave me several more reasons to reserve my respect....thanks for the added help!:thumbsup:

6. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

You should give him the respect that is due his office (something bushhaters would not do even on Obama's inauguration day). But beyond that, you are right - he must earn it.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==History tells us, as should common sense, that nobody is ready for the Presidency on day one. Not even President Washington was "ready" on day one. Everyone takes time to get comfortable in the job. I'm willing to give each President, including Mr. Obama, time to learn and grow.

==Because our Lord Jesus, and the Apostle Paul, told us not to act like lost people in that regard (Matt 5:43-48, Rom 13:9-21). We should not be like the hateful people of the world.

==Mr. Obama is President of the United States and he is the President of every American citizen. As such we are to show him the respect that his position requires (Rom 13:7-8). Any moving away from that truth is sin. Please, brother, don't let politics drive you to a spirit of anger and bitterness. It is not worth it. Please don't be like those ungodly people who hate and refuse to love. Recall the Scriptures, "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good" (Rom 12:21). Too many professing Christians have fallen for the sin of hating their enemies. I urge you to prayerfully reconsider your anger. We don't have to agree with Mr. Obama, and most certainly we disagree with him on many issues, we can wish that someone else was President, and we can (and I will) vote for someone else in '12. However he is President of our nation at this time in history.

8. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No Sin....

It is not "hate" that drove me to write the post above. I do not have anger or hate toward this man. I do however believe that he is the wrong man for the office of president. His beliefs on abortion [world wide killing of babies] and homosexuality are 2-issues that can not be overlooked by any believer. To do so would be a sin.

Jesus told us to render unto to Ceasar....and I will do that. I am not dropping out of society. I am simply saying that Obama has not earned the right to be called "Mr. President." That is my right as an American citizen. I would not be willing to salute him as Commander-in-Chief, or stand, should he pass me by on the street.

His value system is Spiritually on the wrong side of the Word of God, and I don't have to give him any respect. He is a baby killer, and supports a sin that is destroying the moral fabric of the American society. Those that stand in allegiance with Obama's administration are like the Church in Thyatira. I believe these folks were Gnostic's, and to follow Obama would be to shadow the sin of the Gnostic church.

#8 righteousdude2, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2009
  9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, like President Obama is gonna lose any sleep over that. :laugh:

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I agree 100% and I will be loud in my opposition to his sinful positions/actions on those issues. Like the abolitionists of old, we have to take a stand for those who cannot stand for themselves (in this case, babies).

==I understand where you are coming from, I really do, but that is not in agreement with Scripture. Paul is very clear on this matter and when he was writing Nero was Emperor of Rome (Rom 13:6-7, 1Tim 2:1-2, etc). Nero was a self absorbed, immoral, murderous, mad man. Yet Paul was clear that as Christians our role is to "lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity". Part of that is paying respect to whom it is owed. As President of the United States, Mr. Obama is owed a certain level of respect.

As an American, and a Christian, I will give him the respect I am required to give. That does not mean I agree with him nor does it mean I will vote for him. But I will do my duty and what is required.

11. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That Is Your Right, and I Will Support You, but,

I can not follow you down on that path. Your understanding of Paul's directive is a real stretch of the spiritual imagination. I can not believe that Paul meant that to "lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity" equates to the need to paying respect to whom it is owed. Sorry, but, we must prayerfully agree to disagree when it comes to this issue, my brother. I do however, appreciate your love and concern. Believe me when I say that my heart is right when it comes to this stance where Obama is concerned. It is Biblical, and in accordance with Revelations 2:18-29.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

So you are just like the liberals who said when Bush was elected, "Bush will never be my president?"

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Martin here.RD,you run afoul of Romans 13 which says in part :"those in positions of authority have been placed there by God."(the end of verse 1 in the NLTse).As a Chrstian do you wish to go against the Word of God?!

I'm an American citizen though I live in South Korea.But if I was living in America I would still worship the Lord with other believers even if Obama puts out a ruling banning such a practice.(Not that he's even suggested something so extreme.)I will obey God rather than man.However,throughout history has raised up a mixture of noble and wicked men in positions of power.You as a citizen need to render due allegiance to the governing authorities whether evil or not.

As much as I am against many things he stands for (and he may be going through some realistic reappraisals in the months ahead)he's still my President.And he is yours too.After all,he's a servant of God sent for your good.

14. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    President Bush was always my president and I always respected him as president, even after he had become, to my mind, one of the worst presidents in our history. Respect doe not mean approval, does not mean I like him/her, does not mean bowing down before.

We should respect all people. Every person is a person of worth before God.

15. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

As a Christian you are commanded by God´s word to respect your civil authorities including the President.

I do not like the agenda of this new administration. But President Obama deserves the honor due the office that God gave him, and that I am mandated to respect.

Lets remember the context of Peter´s original audience- people under the rule of tyrannical Roman emperors who killed and jailed them. If our early brethren could respect such a government, American Christians today can respect the one God has placed in power.

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

I've been amazed at the number of Christians on this board who refuse to follow Scripture with regards to their leaders.

Wow. Folks...it's pretty plain. You either choose to obey God in this, or you don't.

17. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

What difference does that make?

My argument against your OP is a Biblical based argument, not a political one.

18. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I disagree with your definition of respect, Crabby. I have no respect for Mr. Obama at all, but I have respect for the OFFICE of president so I will try to act in a "respectful manner" to the person in that office. I have no respect for rapists, murderers, child molesters, etc, but I respect LIFE and agree that criminals should be treated humanely, even when executed. There is a difference in respecting someone as a person (looking up to them), or showing respect to leadership as unto Christ, I think.

What we're seeing now is closer to idol worship, not respect, for the president.

19. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It Makes a World of Difference

You need to be open. You tell me that I MUST respect Obama, but, remain silent on what you felt about Bush? It is like telling a child to eat the carrots, while you secretly toss yours.

Again.....what was your feeling about Bush? Did you offer him the respect that you demand I give Obama. Simple question, brother....a simple answer is needed. If you didn't, or couldn't offer Bush the same kind of respect and allegience you want me to give to your guy, how can you begin to expect me to do likewise???

Waiting to hear your HONEST answer?

20. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not So, Roger

I have made it clear....he must EARN my respect. I think it is a sign of a weak moral constitution within a person when they give respect to someone, or something just because they have gained the title.

I don't deny he is the POtUS. But, for me personally, he must earn the right for me to respect him as the POTUS through making decision that I believe to be important. His support of world wide abortion, and his support of gay marriage are 2-important issues, and believers are not supposed to blindly fall in lock-step with someone with whom they are not equally yoked, especially in the realm of the spiritual and its context with the Word of God.

For all of you. I can no longer say that he is not the POTUS, than I can say that there is no devil. It is abundantly clear that he is the POTUS, however, my respect for his decisions for this nation are another issue, and it is an issue that is single-handidly attached to whether or not I can respect him as a leader.

Just because I am an American does not equate to my blindly falling into the ranks and marching along to the beat of his drum.