1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama Needs to Brush up on Middle East History

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For a man of his impressive educational credentials, Barack Obama has sometimes shown a surprising ignorance of history.

During the 2008 campaign, when challenged on his pledge to meet with foreign tyrants without preconditions, he said that presidents from Franklin Roosevelt on had met with leaders of enemy nations. Funny thing, but in my books on World War II, I haven't been able to find the chapters on the Roosevelt-Hitler and Roosevelt-Tojo summits. In his speech in the Tiergarten last summer, he told us that the Berlin Wall came down thanks to "a world that stands as one." My recollection is that the world was standing as two, and one side wanted to keep the wall up.

The good news is that in his speech to "the Muslim world" in Cairo last week, Obama showed a surer grasp of the past. The bad news is that he still has more to learn.

Obama got some important things right and pounded them home to his audience. Six million Jews were murdered in the Holocaust. "Denying that fact is baseless, ignorant and hateful." Al-Qaida killed nearly 3,000 people on Sept. 11. "These are not opinions to be debated; these are facts to be dealt with." America's bond with Israel is "unbreakable." Good, though perhaps undercut later in the speech. "The richness of religious diversity must be upheld -- whether it is for Maronites in Lebanon or the Copts in Egypt." Very good, though lacking any reference to Saudi Arabia, perhaps because the list of sects not tolerated would be too long.

"I have come here to seek a new beginning between the United States and Muslims around the world," Obama said, "one based upon mutual interest and mutual respect." The unfortunate implication is that the United States did not respect Muslims before his inauguration. But then he went on to make points that George W. Bush made repeatedly in the seven years after Sept. 11.

More Here

2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Mr. Obama did indeed leave alot of history out of his speech as most presidents and those intending to give us all a history lesson do. I just posted a new thread about our long history of foreign interventionism and it's un-intended (?) consequences.

I believe you are right in that we could all use a good history lesson today. Only I propose we only stick to facts and leave all the partisan non sense out of it for a change. Is that even possible? I highly doubt it. :smilewinkgrin:

Besides, all the facts surrounding 9/11 have never been allowed to be debated in the mainstream media. It's either you accept the official government conspiracy theory or you're an un-american terrorist sympathizer.

#2 poncho, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2009
  3. donnA

donnA Active Member

perhaps it's not his fault, maybe they didn't bring his teleprompter.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Doesn't he have a young kid writing his speeches? I guess he and his staff are not good fact checkers.

I find no problem if Obama did repeat what Bush has been saying, it is good for America to have a consistent message even through administration changes. I just don't recall Bush reaching out his hand as much to the Muslim community but I could be wrong.