1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama Needs to Take a Stand

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Aug 31, 2008.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121988620172978319.html?mod=djemEditorialPage

Obama Needs to Take a Stand on Race and Other Issues

By JUAN WILLIAMS
    August 28, 2008; Page A15
    Denver

There is a powerful, often painful, thread of memory in the American mind with regard to race. It is a flowing narrative from the time of slavery to the Civil War and on to the nation's struggle for racial equality. That story includes Martin Luther King's life and death as a martyr. Today the story continues in a nation where one-third of the population is made up of racial minorities. There is also an unprecedented number of immigrants and record levels of prosperity among the black and Hispanic middle-class.
    Now we have Barack Obama's astonishing political rise, advancing the story to the point where a majority white nation might possibly select him as its first president of color.

SNIP

Yet given this central racial dynamic, it is incredible that on any issue of racial consequence Mr. Obama has become a stealth candidate.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Senator Obama has not made race an issue in his campaign. His opponents, especially some conservatives, on the other hand...

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course he has.

He has tried to keep it off limits, yet he has practiced race based politics his entire political career.

Mr. Williams noticed and is asking questions.

It's instructive that you would like to avoid discussing Obama's history as well.

"More than 90% of black Americans are now on board with that story line, and according to polls, more than a third of black voters say his race is either the most important factor or one key factor in explaining their support for Mr. Obama."

#3 carpro, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008
  4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If your ancestors had been slaves in the United States maybe you would be among that third.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now it is an issue with someone other than conservatives.

Consistency is not one of your strong points.

It appears that, in Obama, we have our first legitimate racist as a candidate for president in many many years.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was referring to using race in a negative way. Apparently some conservatives have no problem with doing so. I guess they learned that from Jesse Helms' Senate campaign a while back.

Anyone who calls Senator Obama a racist is pretty much a person acting outside the bounds of polite company and the Christian walk in this instance.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither do blacks, apparently.

Only white Obama apologists find it objectionable. Obama is counting on you.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Juan Williams was moved to tears at Obama's receiving the nomination at the DNC on Wed night. It was a touching and thoughtful, moment, and genuinely heartfelt. I think his comments reflect the angst and anguish many on the middle/left feel about Obama

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what you posted apperently African-Americans are using race in a positive way in voting.

#9 KenH, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And even he wants answers.

But then, he's not a white liberal Obama apoligist. He's a black liberal Obama supporter.

11. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I'd say he pretty much plays the race card whenever he thinks it will suite his needs. Hey, he even pulled it on BJC the "first black President."

12. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

My ancestors where slaves, but I didnt know any of them, so why would that in and of itself make me support Obama?

I know the names of my ancestors that were slaves, but I venture to guess that most african-americans dont.

Slavery has been over for 143 years now, so get over it, and stop using it for an excuse. If anyone had right to use the excuse, it would folks like me that are actual ancestors, not folks like you. So, why do you attempt to speak for folks like me, or try to explain how I should feel?

Sorry, but this issue really upsets me.

AJ

13. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Yep, some of my Scottish ancestors were brought to NE as slaves in 1652 after being captured at the Battle Worcester when trying to restore King Charles to the British Throne. Thanks Cromwell...

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't and I won't. My comments were about those who were polled that carpro got upset about.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    An interesting historical note but totally irrelevant to this thread.

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not upset...:laugh:

Just aware.

17. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Sorry Ken, this topic upsets me.

When I visit the family graveyard, my white relatives are buried in a well kept area with fancy marked gravestones, and my black relatives are buried on the other side of a barbed wire fence in an unkept area covered with weeds and underbrush, some with small stones with names but most just marked with a big rock at the head of the grave.

To this day, the folks of the county refer to my side of the family as "the ni@@er (my last name)'s".

AJ

#17 ajg1959, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008
  18. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Ken you are a funny guy. You raised the issue and when I respond with my family history with Scottish slaves brought over at the hands of the Cromwell government you try to dismiss it as irrelevent becuase it upsets your agenda.

Funny guy...

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Obama is in a no win situation if he speaks up in the race arena. Looks at how his wife was attacked for her, "this is the first time I could really be proud of America" comment. Now that the smoke has cleared their a many other people expressing this sentiment as well as the woman on the republican ticket but at the time Michelle made the comment she was crucified and made to apologize.

He can't express the black experience without jeopardizing the white vote which he very much needs to get in office. If he says it in a way whites will relate the blacks will feel he' not black enough. He needs their vote also. I think his silence is not from lack words but from necessity.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, to quote a fellow poster - namely, you - in the thread about Obama's acceptance speech:

"Now can we please get back to the subject of the OP?"