1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama - Signs of Being a Strict Constructionist

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Feb 13, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "With Obama there are even signs of a strict constructionist.

As a professor (actually he was listed on the faculty of the University of Chicago as a “lecturer”) his students
    were surprised and dismayed he did not see a constitutional basis for such things as gay marriage.

I agree. The constitution says nothing about marriage. And it would be surprising if it did. The drafters
    considered marriage to be a private contractual arrangement and religious institution. To the extent there was any governmental involvement, it was at the local or state level. The federal government has no authority to tell the states what to do with marriage. Likewise, they have no right to discriminate or confer benefits based upon marital status—and that seems to be Obama's view.

As much as enthusiastic law students, and leftists (and recently, social conservatives), want to think otherwise, it is not, and never was, the function of the federal constitution to cover every aspect of life, or right every perceived wrong and injustice. In fact the most ignored portion of the document is the
    Tenth Amendment which provides that anything which is not specifically addressed is reserved to the states or the people.

For example, the idea that the founders wished the federal government to regulate abortion
    is absurd. Abortion existed at the time of the drafting of the constitution. They knew it was a crime under common law and the statutes of the colonies. And it never occurred to any of them that it might be the federal government's business."

- more at http://girlinshortshorts.blogspot.com/2008/02/professor-barack-obama.html

2. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Wishful thinking on your part Ken.

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Cool Ken. We'll be getting a one worlder that believes abortion is a state thing.

It might be different if you and he believed in upholdig the whole constitution and not just bits and pieces of it when campaigning. Obama is a an anti american Ken. He's a globalist puppet every bit as much as Hillary Clinton John McCain George Bush and the rest of those posing as "our leaders" today. Might as well say it now I reckon. If you aren't against the NWO you're with it. Doesn't matter if Obama believes abortion is a state thing or not when his master's policy is global population control.

Our constitution means nothing. It's the Earth Charter and biodiversity that's being enforced by "our leaders" these days and that my very good friends is above and beyond our own federal and state laws only because we put up with it.

#3 poncho, Feb 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2008
  4. billwald

billwald New Member

Time for a shooting revolution.

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

The revolution of the awakening mind is working just fine billwald, matter of fact it's growing by leaps and bounds...just not here amongst these folks.

#5 poncho, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  6. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Careful billwald. Someone might shoot back.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

All due respect Ken, I think this is a reach of gargantuan proportions - Inspector Gadget couldn't reach this far :)
    The opinion from this self described...
    ..is just that. But not really. She talks out of both sides of her mouth.

She says:

Despite the fact that she has a distrust for business, their lawyers, a confused timeline, and her poor spelling/grammar, she finds solace in the fact that Obama perhaps taught constitutional law? So what? There are theology professors who believe Christ was a fake, the Bible complete and utter myth. There are history professors who have taught that the Holocaust never happened and that we bombed ourselves at Pearl Harbor.

She ascertains Obama's alleged constructionism by positing:
    Oh really? So he was a student in Tribe's class and his name was signed to an article, so they are one and the same on all opinions? Mind boggling at how illogical this is.

Yet that's not the best of it. She changes her tune. Read the following from her same blog. Responding to Obama's support for reauth of the Patriot Act (Strict Constructionist, eh?), she writes:
    and further...
    Perhaps her most salient comment about the obsession with Obama is this:
    http://girlinshortshorts.blogspot.com/2008/01/good-barack-obamas-constitution.html

Obama's constitutional mindset is no more, no less, than the typical Washington mindset: "If I agree with the Constitution, change the culture. If I agree with the culture, change the Constitution."

Which leads me to this:

I can't believe I'm about to say this...I agree with Poncho....he rightly said:
    This is the fatal flaw of the Democrats, and to a somewhat lesser extent, the GOP.

So, Ken, I know you are a foreign policy student, and I know Obama has some good arguments there. But I'd caution you: a broken clock is right twice every day :)

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Considering the current state of politics in these United States that's about the best we can hope for.

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

KenH,
    I liked you better when you carried a Cowboy helmet. As it stands right now I am totally confused.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing to be confused about. I supported and voted for Ron Paul in the primary. Now, one of three people will be our next president - Obama, Clinton, or McCain. Of these three I hope that it will be Obama.

11. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Don't think that for one minute that Obama is going to remove troops from Iraq. It will not happen. I know what he says but saying and doing are two seperate things. If anything he will escalate it.

12. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

No, Obama will start drawing down the troops and will eventually remove them all.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct, Dagwood, and there won't be a thing that those Republicans who favor foreign adventurism will be able to do to stop it. :thumbs:

14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I'm telling you Ken, Obama is cut from the same mold as all the other internationalists.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am an avid reader of Foreign Affairs. :)

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

And some people around here will never forgive you for it :laugh: (Everytime you mention it, it reminds me that I need to get hold of it again).

I believe Obama would draw down troops in Iraq/Afghanistan. But hasn't he favored intervention in Darfur? Thrown out the possibility of troops in Pakistan? I don't have a copy of that speech close by.

As for stating that the best we can hope for is a broken clock, I don't know. Obviously, the current crop of candidates is not a bumper crop of -gravitas, but surely we can hope for more than Clinton/Obama's Nanny state, big brother approach, and McCain/Huckabee/Paul's pseudocon approach.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Did he not follow up by saying he'd put troops there to finish? I thought he might have.

Bush has also said he'd unilaterally bomb Pakistan if there were actionable intelligence. So is Obama a neocon? :)

Thanks for the essay. (Maybe the best speech Obama has put out).

If you'd like my address for a gift subscription......:thumbs: