1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama's prime-time ad skips over budget realities

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Oct 30, 2008.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D944H6EO0&show_article=1

Obama's prime-time ad skips over budget realities

Oct 29 09:47 PM US/Eastern
    By CALVIN WOODWARD
    Associated Press Writer Write a Comment

WASHINGTON (AP) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama was less than upfront in his half-hour commercial Wednesday night about the costs of his programs and the crushing budget pressures he would face in office.

Obama's assertion that "I've offered spending cuts above and beyond" the expense of his promises is accepted only by his partisans. His vow to save money by "eliminating programs that don't work" masks his failure throughout the campaign to specify what those programs are—beyond the withdrawal of troops from Iraq.

A sampling of what voters heard in the ad, and what he didn't tell them:

___
    THE SPIN: "Here's what I'll do. Cut taxes for every working family making less than $200,000 a year. Give businesses a tax credit for every new employee that they hire right here in the U.S. over the next two years and eliminate tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas. Help homeowners who are making a good faith effort to pay their mortgages, by freezing foreclosures for 90 days. And just like after 9-11, we'll provide low-cost loans to help small businesses pay their workers and keep their doors open. "

THE FACTS: His proposals—the tax cuts, the low-cost loans, the $15 billion a year he promises for alternative energy, and more—cost money, and the country could be facing a record $1 trillion deficit next year.
    Indeed, Obama recently acknowledged—although not in his commercial—that: "The next president will have to scale back his agenda and some of
    his proposals."
    ___

#1 carpro, Oct 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2008
  2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Not if he saves that $10 Billion a month in Iraq, that should save the tax payers a lot of money. We're already victorious so we can leave any time now.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've been hoodwinked.

He has no intention of removing the troops from Iraq any faster than McCain will.

Even if you were correct, that's only $120 billion per year to cover the trillion dollar deficit he is likely to create.

#3 carpro, Oct 30, 2008
  4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I'm sorry, I didn't think you wanted an honest rebuttal. I thought you were just smearing Obama. Here are the facts from the Tax Policy Center which is a non-partisan joint venture of The Urban Institute and The Brookings Institution. According to them you're right, Obama plan would raise the debt by $3.5 trillion by 2018 but McCain's plan would raise it by $5 Trillion.

I guess neither plan is really a bargin...

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/UploadedPDF/411750_updated_candidates_summary.pdf

And by the way, don't forget Bush raised the debt $10 Trillion in the 8 years he's been in office.

#4 LeBuick, Oct 30, 2008
  5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not just Iraq and your foolish $10 billion dollar a year Irag remark.

Obama admits he's lying and you're still in the tank. The only question is how big and how expensive the lies are.

You've bought 'em all.

You've been hoodwinked in so many ways that an "honest rebuttal" ,as you would define it, is the last thing you want.

#5 carpro, Oct 30, 2008
  6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Obama admits he's lying??? I thought saying you might have to cut back on your pledges was good and refreshing to see from a politician. I guess you'd prefer a candidate that sticks to their lies.

Would you whether he continues to promise things he can't deliver? McCain says he will balance the budget in 4 years. Economist say he would have to cut government spending to the point of non-functional and even then he would only come close. There is no way he can balance the budget in 4 years.

His economic plan will increase the debt more than Obama and you say I've been hoodwinked??? No sir, it is you whose been hoodwinked. You are voting for a liberal wearing a conservative label.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I said, you've bought them all. Obama admits he's lying . You admit he's lying. Yet you're so far down in the tank you can't see daylight.

Another tidbit:

Based on information from the Tax Policy Center, most households making $30,000-$75,000 will not see a reduction in their taxes under Obama’s tax cut plan.

In fact, the only people that will see its effective taxes reduced under Obama's are those making less than $30,000 per year and those making $75,000-$200,000 per year.

Most of the under 30,000 crowd pay no taxes now so the payments to them are a direct budgetary expense rather than "tax cuts", yet they're include in his "95%" that will receive a "tax cut".

He's a liar.

Come out of the tank and take a look.

I don't care for McCain at all, but Obama has you, and Christians like you, mesmerized.

It is apparent that God either did not gift you with the gift of discernment or you are willing to sacrifice biblical principals on the alter of political ideology.

#7 carpro, Oct 30, 2008
  8. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    For those interested here is a link to YouTube videos of the commercial.

I like the creative use of stories of specific people who represent the people Obama claims to focus on helping.
    1) the mom of a big family trying to cover the cost of raising a family
    2) the retired couple who had to go back to work because of burdensome health care costs
    3) the widowed teacher struggling to educate special needs kids and provide an education for her own kids
    4) the autoworker at risk of losing his job

I was also encouraged by his positive message with no need to make any attacks on McCain.

All in all a very well produced commercial with a clear positive message.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lies presented persuasively are usually considered a "positive message" to those that are foolish enough to fall for them.

The Bible tells us that's the it will be with the anti-christ, and that's the way it is with Obama as well.

10. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were you foolish enough to believe G. Bush?

Are you foolish enough to believe McCain?

Are you foolish enough to believe any politician?

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I would rather be foolish enough to believe McCain than be fooled and believe Obama.

12. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd rather be fooled by neither.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only when the facts back them up.

Obama is a very eloquent liar.

McCain could hardly be considered eloquent?:) Bush doesn't matter anymore.

What's your excuse for believing Obama's lies?

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bur you have been.

15. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually I have not bee fooled as I believe neither and do not believe politicans when they are campaigning. I take note of what they say, get their general drift, but never really believe them.

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't lie much either, do you?