1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obesity in America

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by saturneptune, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And there are plenty of Big Government people who are just itching to provide a Big Government solution through higher taxes and government control over personal behavior to "protect us from ourselves" and, of course, "for the children".

#2 KenH, Oct 27, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It has nothing to do with government. It has to do with parents being the leaders they should be and not stuffing kid's faces with McDonalds on demand. It has to do with parents not demanding kids get out and play. It has to do with PE in the schools, which no longer exists.

Why do you always gravitate to the government solution?

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because there are lots of Big Government people who want to impose Big Government "solutions" and take away more of our individual liberty "to protect us from ourselves" and, of course, "for the children".

After all, in the eyes of the Big Government types if the parents aren't keeping their children away from the fast food places and if the parents aren't making their kids go out in the yard and play, well then, the government will just have to step in and become the parents for the children.

The bottom line question we are going to have come to grips with in these United States is: Are children your charge from God to take care of or do your children belong to Hillary Clinton's "village" to take care of ?

Who do you want to take care of your children - you or the Hillary Clinton types?

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The tone of my previous post answers your question quite clearly.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because the more government steps in with "assistance", the more parents step aside - why should they (the parents) worry about taking care of their kids if the government will do it.

But then again we can thank Hillary - It takes a village to raise a child

Not saying I agree with he above - just mentioning the facts

Salty

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

And it would take a village idiot to elect her.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My use of the word "you" was done editorially, not personally.

I know where you stand on that. :)

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obesity is more than just too much McDonalds and too little play time. It's about being overtaxed and too financially stretched to buy the healther food. Here in WV (which is one of the most "obese" states) a two-income family can BARELY survive in a small home (3 bedroom, one bath) and with one vehicle. I know we did this for many years. My husband worked 2 jobs while I stayed home with the kids.

When I go to the store, I have an option: buy a pound of bologna for $.99 or buy a pound of chicken for $2.49. Do I buy bread this week or squeeze in time to make my own? Do I purchase fresh fruits and vegetables or look for a bargain on the salt-laden or sugar-added canned goods? Even with careful menu planning, the purse still dictates what I can purchase.

Not everyone is "chasing the American dream" and stuffing their kids with fast food. Some are just trying to get by, and once the basic bills are paid, whatever is left buys the groceries.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

In the 50s and 60s in Mississippi, and even today in Kentucky, most people are not real well off. I do not recall people back in that era being near as obese as today. A $1 can of tuna and a couple pieces of bread is much cheaper than a "Happy Meal." Apples, oranges, and bananas are quite cheap. Aside from that, one can order a $1 side salad if one just much go to McDonalds. Potatoes, beans, and rice go a long way.

Also, proper food comes before internet, cable, or a new car payment.

11. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

he market isnt near the same today as it was then and a great deal more people grew their own food or was close to thos who did. It is like night and day.

As far as deciding between healthier food and a new car payment there are also other issues to consider. Repair costs on older vehicles are at a high. Parts are extremely high for older vehicles. It is literally cheaper to have a new car payment that to maintain and older vehicle that is in constant need of repair. Especially given the warranties that come with vehicles these days lasting as much as 100,000 miles v. the 20,000 and 30,000 of the past.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BINGO and I am sure there are several items we could add to the list. Anybody else have an addition?

A couple in our church was having trouble buying groceries - they are on Social Security (both mid thirties). Mrs Salty and I were ready to help them buy some groceries - UNTIL we went over their budget with them. Not too bad except for one small item -$350 per month for cigarettes !!! :BangHead: Yes, $350; this was a fact, not just guessing.
    Thats right, we cancelled the shopping trip.

13. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I think it has more to do with convenience. Yes its easier to cook something frozen and canned. If we really want to save money and eat healthy, then grow it or buy it fresh and can/freeze it without the preservatives. Peas, beans, squash, corn, collards, cabbage (ok I am getting hungry now) do go a long way. I am afraid we prefer the prepackaged, preseasoned, convenience foods because we are a selfish people. Its all about what works best for me.

As for kids, we have replaced playing outside with technology driven games and tvshows. Instead of packing healthy lunches, we let the government feed them (its cheaper for most people, you know) junk that can hardly be identified.

I think we as a society are just not willing to pay the price to be healthy. [/rant]

14. 2 Timothy2:1-4

We certainly have creatged environments for outr children that brings them in more and has them lpaying outside lees thereby getting less excercise. But growing food is just not feasable for most people. And even the cost of doing so is not really all that cheap.

15. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I understand that everyone cant grow food. I havent grown any for a couple years. But we can buy it from those who do. It goes farther than a can and is better for us. I just think we make too many excuses for why we "can't" lose wieght or be healthy. And I aint no skinny minny either, lol. I include myself in my rantings.

16. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. What we save in groceries, we make up for in health costs. Pasta is cheap, but is it worth it when we're getting diabetes? The pre-packaged, convenience foods might save us time, but they are loaded with sugars and additives that I believe are causing tooth decay and food allergies.

It's about greed, too. Just follow the money trail. Brightly colored, fattening junk food SELLS.

By the way, I'll add expensive vacations to the list of non-necessities like cigarettes, cable, etc. A trip to Disney world equals quite a few trips to the supermarket!

17. 2 Timothy2:1-4

There are plenty of excuses for sure. Time seems to be the biggest excuse in peoples lives. Maybe we should do alot less than we do. Of course for me I could eat a few less bisciuts and gravy.

18. Joe

Joe New Member

This post hits the nail on the head. People can still eat healthy somewhat without going through a drive thru for dinner, or even eating pre-packaged, processed, frozen and canned foods all the time.

Just a little warning about Tuna. It's healthy but it's best not to eat it more than 2-3 days per week since Tuna contains high levels of mercury. This is toxic in higher doses, even more dangerous for kids and pregnant women. The tuna should be packaged in water, not oil. Read the labels. Use whole wheat bread, organic tomatoes & lettuce (if affordable) and only a small amount of Mayo. Mayo is very fattening and unhealthy, thus tuna sandwiches are fattening. Yet they contain enough nutrition to "squeek by".

#18 Joe, Oct 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2007
  19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If one wants to lose weight there is a tried and true formula:

Eat less and exercise more.

And I am speaking to myself about when I say this. I need to drop about ten pounds.

20. rbell

rbell Active Member

Factors, IMO:

• Lazy parenting. It takes more work to fix good meals.
    • Bad financial planning. When I was growing up we didn't eat out because it "cost too much." Now, most folks couldn't tell you how much $$ per month they spend on food--much less eating out--if they had to. People eat out whether they can afford to or not.
    • Both parents working. I'm not arguing morality here...but the fact remains, if mom & dad both work, when the workday's done, everyone's tired...it's just easier to pick up burgers & fries.
    • Single parent homes. Similar to above...mom (or dad) is just too tired. Let's get a happy meal tonight...I don't feel like cooking.
    • More entertaining for sedentary folks:
      • more and better computer games
      • internet
      • more TV options for any programming tastes
      • TV in kids' rooms (!)
      • movie rentals
    • (in this area) more homework. Many kids get home at 3:30, and might have 2-3 hours of homework. When that's done, it's pretty much supper, bath, & bed. Combine that with no PE, and you've got a "fat recipe."
    • The doing away with "spontaneous play." I was of the last generation that approached sports with, "Hey...there are 10 of us that want to play baseball. Let's go to the vacant lot and do it!" Today, everything's organized by adults into leagues...it's more trouble, more money, and less fun for the kids...particularly the ones who don't eat, sleep, and excrete sports. Thus, they just don't play.
    • (this one will get me strung up): More "safety-conscious" parenting. I know there's a good side to this...but now we worry when it's too hot. Or too cold. Or too wet. We worry when they want to ride their bikes, and we have to go buy helmets, elbow & knee pads, and bubble wrap to keep them from skinning a body part. We can't let them play down the street because of molesters, bad kids, and a myriad of seen & unseen dangers. Like I said, there's a good (and needed) side to this, and practice some of this safety. But, it's more of an ordeal now for the kids to just up and play. And, no doubt, some parents go a bit overboard.
    • Parents that refuse to tell their kids, "Go outside and play!" And then make them do it.
    • Parents that refuse to say no to their kids' requests for a constant diet of sugar-loaded snacks. "No" is a dirty word to many parents today.

#20 rbell, Oct 27, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.