1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obey every ordinance of man

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by stilllearning, Oct 23, 2009.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must of misunderstood your thread. I thought you said scripture supported the idea of taking up arms against those who "trash our constitution". I thought you were asking about armed rebellion against the government.

That's a different subject from defending ourselves, personally.
    Brother, I am ready to learn from scripture, and I am always open to what scripture says. I intend to follow the clear teaching of God's Word no matter what I have believed in the past.

What you have done, however, is mangle the meaning of scripture in an attempt to justify armed rebellion against the government. That, I cannot accept as biblical.

peace to you:praying:

2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Peace will not break out all over the world. We would be in subjigation to a foreign enemy because some misinterpret scripture to suggest that we shouldn't defend ourselves nor fight for our freedom.

3. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    There would be no foreign enemies if all the pacifists were in charge, by definition. Every nation would be controlled by a pacifist. Therefore, peace would break out all over.

BTW, my freedom is in Christ. It cannot be taken away by man or government.

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I was speaking of the U.S. and not the world. There will only be peace when Jesus sits on the throne in Jerusalem. In the meantime I stand by my statement with one clarification. Thank God that pacifists are not in charge of the United States. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a U.S. They would have long ago handed over our country to those who would enslave us.

5. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    That explains alot.

You just assume no one is saved but you and your wife. That way, you can dismiss everyone that disagrees with you on any issue and interpret scripture accordingly to your own wisdom.

6. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hi canadyjd

You said......
    You know perfectly well, that is not what I was saying, but I forgive you.

7. stilllearning

Hello canadyjd

First let me apologize to you and everyone else on the BB, for the wrong impression that I put forth with my OP.

I talked about my concern about being in rebellion against the government, and the things that you said in your responses, caused me to rethink my whole premise.
    --------------------------------------------------
    My mistake came, by my misunderstanding about our form of government here in the United States.
    (Not really a misunderstanding but a laps in memory.)

My mistake, brought you to an interpretation about my statement about “taking up arms”, as a plan to stand against the Government of the United States,
    (This is not the case; This would indeed be rebellion.)

What I should have made more clear, is that when I say “take up arms”, I am talking about taking a stand in defense of our government.
    You see, my mistake was identifying the administration and the members of our government, as “the government of the United States”, when in fact, they are not.

You see, all of our elected officials, each take an oath to do just what I am talking about, “protect and defend our government”(the constitution).

This is the case because the United States is not a democracy, but a republic.
    (A republic, meaning that we are ruled by laws, not men.)

We only use the democratic process, to elect people to serve in our government.
    When those who we elect, start disregarding the very laws that they have taken an oath to protect, then at that point, our government needs to be rescued.

Therefore the issue at hand, has nothing to do with rebellion against authority, but rather a reinstatement and support of authority.
    (Kind of like making a citizens arrest.)
    Once again I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Like many of you, things have been this way for so long, that I simply forgot, how things are suppose to be in our form of government.

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Participating in violence to accomplish political purposes is contrary to the teachings of our Lord Jesus Christ, therefore, no Christian should participate in violent acts for political purposes.

9. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Thank you for your opinion, now back to reality. If we followed the teachings of pacifists we would live under tyranny. Pacifists would sell us out in a minute based on false interpretations from the Bible. Again, thank God they are not in charge of the U.S.

10. stilllearning

Hello canadyjd

Thank you for clarifying your stand.

But your opinion, that every Christian that is a police officer or member of the armed services, is in sin, is not a Baptist position.

What kind of a Baptist are you?

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What!? There is no need to take up arms against those who are "trashing" our Constitution (or their interpretation thereof) and IMO, I don't think that was the intent of the OP, you are reading something into it that isn't there.

They can be voted out of office.

The Constitution has been ignored and contradicted by every administration.

For instance, the Constitution only allows for gold and silver coinage as our currency. Today we have something called federal reserve notes with no precious metal backing them. This is the major reason for the failure of the dollar IMO.

If the majority vote in favor of those who "trash" the Constitution, so be it, free people also have the freedom to be stupid as well as free.

As for the Boston Massacre, two of the British soldiers were found guilty of murder. John Adams had their verdict reduced to manslaughter due to a loophole in British law.

In the revolutionary engagement, the British drew first blood.

Genesis 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.​

Here is our National anthem which you say don't quite see the same way I do (it is clearly a war anthem) :

Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
    What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
    Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
    O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
    And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
    Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
    O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
    Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
    What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
    As it fitfully blows, now conceals, now discloses?
    Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
    In full glory reflected now shines on the stream:
    'Tis the star-spangled banner! O long may it wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
    That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
    A home and a country should leave us no more?
    Their blood has wiped out their foul footstep's pollution.
    No refuge could save the hireling and slave
    From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
    Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!
    Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land
    Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
    Then conquer we must, for our cause it is just,
    And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
    And the star-spangled banner forever shall wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Our nation was born of a rebellion against the tyranny of the British Crown. Even the Founding Fathers admitted that it was a rebellion and knew full well that they would be put to death if captured and tried for treason.

It is your heritage as an American whether you like it or not.

HankD

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

Those that say Christ is a pacifist do not know the scriptures.

Exo 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

Rev 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Now, I think it is very important to see that he makes war in righteousness. To make war without a just cause would be sin. But the Lord himself commanded the Israelites to go to war many times.

I do not think our government has gotten to the point of being completely tyrannical, we have the vote and this is what we should do to effect change. However, if truly the government became despotic as written in the Declaration of Independence, then we have a just reason for armed rebellion.

#52 Winman, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2009
  13. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did I say serving as a police officer or a member of the armed services is a sin?

The question of the OP was whether 2 Peter "commands us to take up arms against those who trash our constitution".

I answered your question by appealing to scripture, where Christians are clearly told not to rebel against their governments, not to do violence for political purposes, and pray for those who persecute them.

As I said before, your problem is that your opinion is contrary to God's Word.

Any attempt on your part to deflect from that truth by making up statements and attributing them to me is a sign you have lost the debate and are grasping at strawmen.

FTR, I have served my country in the Armed Forces (101st Airborne) and have served as a police officer.
    I am a Christian first, by the grace of God, and a baptist by choice.

As a Christian, I am committed to following God's Word, whether or not the baptist tradition in America agrees.

14. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, good grief!! Here, I will repost part of the very first post, which is the focus of this thread:

stilllearning said in post#1 (found on the first page of the thread if you want to read it for yourself):
    I have bolded and enlarged the last sentence so that you can clearly see the question of the OP, which was asked by stilllearning. Does scripture (I Peter 2:13) "command us to take up arms....". I didn't "read into it" anything. I responded to the question.
    I have never denied it was part of American heritage.

I have simply agreed with scripture on the question of whether Christians should rebel against the government. Clearly, if you believe God's Word, they should not.

15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, Christians are not the Israelites and God hasn't commanded us to "take up arms".

God reserves for Himself the final judgment, which is reflected in the Rev 19:11.

We, as Chrsitians, are commanded to be at peace with all men (so far as it depends upon us), and leave room for the judgment of God.

Christians are commanded by God not to rebel against governments, not to do evil, and pray for those who persecute.

I understand it is hard to accept for many people, but that is what God's Word says.

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't think I completely understand the OP question.

What does "trash our constitution" mean? That we fight people if they criticize the constitution? What "people" is meant in the OP - only foreigners?

I don't see how the Peter passage supports taking arms up against anyone.

I do believe in self-defense - that is, if we are attacked, we can fight back as a country though individuals may have objections.

17. stilllearning

Hello Marcia

Please read post #47

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I read it and am even more confused. Are you saying that you consider the present administration not to be the gov't of the U.S? It reminds me of those armed men out in Idaho and Montana.

19. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree with this statement. Many of our elected representatives try to make us believe that our government is a pure democracy rather than a democratically elected constitutional republic.

The constitution provides limitations upon what types of laws Congress is legally allowed to authorize. For instance, the First Amendment says:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

This amendment is not predictive, but prescriptive. If Congress writes a law that violates the Constitution as amended, that law is unconstitutional and should have no force of law.

We do not elect "dictators." We elect representatives who are bound by an oath to uphold, protect, and defend the Constitution from all enemies foreign and domestic. This is the law. As citizens we have a legal obligation under the Constitution to hold our elected representatives to their word to obey their legally binding oath of office.

If every law the Congress writes is, by definition, "constitutional," then their oath of office is meaningless and nothing but a charade. There is really no need to make them swear upon the Bible and repeat such an oath if the oath is not intended to be binding.

20. stilllearning

Hello AresMan

I don’t think we have spoken before; Nice to hear from you.

I understand where you are coming from, but what should we do?
    You said......
    Congress has been doing this for years, getting more and more emboldened with every new law.
    Most recently a new law was attached to a bill supporting our troops, called “hate crime legislation”.

This law clearly restricts religious freedom, yet the president signed it into law without hesitation, and today it is the law of the land.

Now most people wouldn’t think that this one act of ignoring our constitutional rights, is enough to make a big deal out of, but this is just another straw, that I am afraid, will some day break the camels back.
    As for our government not being a Republic, I recently found this video......

http://www.wimp.com/thegovernment/

It lasts about 10 minutes, but it is well worth watching.